Steering Wheel

JMG

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT with Premium Package Machine Gray
Just test drove the 2017 GT today.

The first dealer I went to didn't have any 2017's to test drive and tried to tell me the 2016.5 was the same car! I walked out of there before the guy could get another word out.

My wife and I got stuck with a strange salesman at the second the location. Either way, they actually had a car to drive. I really liked the looks both exterior and interior. It drove well for the 10 minutes I had left to try it out. I was not that impressed with the HUD, but it didn't have the speed limit and traffic sign recognition because somehow the card for GPS was removed.

The main thing I really didn't like was the feel of the steering wheel. It was very smooth and the leather felt stiff. This may seem like a minor complaint, but one has to have his hands on that thing the whole time while driving! Anyone know if it gets a little more comfortable after using it for a while?

I test drove one on Saturday for 30 minutes to an hour and yes it feels different (chunkier) to my current Mazda6 but after a while I didn't notice it. Felt fine.

The design itself is an evolution of the steering wheel that pretty much debuted in the CX-9 and is gradually being added to other models (3,6 and MX-5 have it already)

Maybe you and your wife should take another one for an extended test drive because despite what each of us says here, ultimately it has to feel right for the both of you :)

I didn't drive it, but when I sat in a 2017 and felt the wheel, I thought it felt considerably softer than my 2014 leather wheel. Definitely chunkier, but felt better in hand.

One of these days will have to actually go test drive one just to get the driving feel. I often drive with just my left hand, so what you are describing makes me wonder.

All I can say is I love the new wheel. At first I wasn't a fan of the button layout but it has grown on me over time. Never had a concern with the leather which I quite like the feel of.

Like you it also felt different to me at first (compared to previous cars) but I grown to quite like its softer texture to its finish. Once I got my seating position sorted out, which admittedly took a while, the wheel was very comfortable. Not sure what you mean by it felt stiff - as in not very padded?

All I can say is I love the new wheel. At first I wasn't a fan of the button layout but it has grown on me over time. Never had a concern with the leather which I quite like the feel of.

Like you it also felt different to me at first (compared to previous cars) but I grown to quite like its softer texture to its finish. Once I got my seating position sorted out, which admittedly took a while, the wheel was very comfortable. Not sure what you mean by it felt stiff - as in not very padded?

I am wondering this too, because it felt considerably more padded and softer than my 2014 Touring leather wheel.

I do plan on test driving again for a longer time, now that I know which dealer has a car to actually test drive!

Regarding feeling stiff. Agreed, there is no padding at all. The steering wheel I used to get to the dealer was an Odyssey which is not leather but feels quite comfortable to me. It could just be that I just have never used a leather steering wheel before. I'll give it another try soon.

Here's a close up look of it:

image.jpg

Seems to appear to be well padded & chunkier (uhm)

I do plan on test driving again for a longer time, now that I know which dealer has a car to actually test drive!

Regarding feeling stiff. Agreed, there is no padding at all. The steering wheel I used to get to the dealer was an Odyssey which is not leather but feels quite comfortable to me. It could just be that I just have never used a leather steering wheel before. I'll give it another try soon.

Ah. That could be it.

I can attest that as far as leather steering wheels go, it's considerably more padded and it is softer than my 2014 leather wheel. I am actually a little jealous of the 2017 wheels. It feels much nicer than mine.

Seems like I'm just a newbie with leather steering wheels. I'm sure I'll get used to the luxury!

Ah. That could be it.

I can attest that as far as leather steering wheels go, it's considerably more padded and it is softer than my 2014 leather wheel. I am actually a little jealous of the 2017 wheels. It feels much nicer than mine.

That's what you get with evolution of steering wheels when done right! :)

Back