Short Shifting (5000 rpm)

Just wanted to check with all, is ~ 5000 rpm the normal shift point in each gear when floored (short shifting)? I tried in sport and normal and its the same. Didnt try with traction control on or off, Ill double check that.
And I know for manual mode you can shift whenever and bounce off the rev limiter.

I know, I know, these engines arent designed for top end HP and torque, so above 5000 rpm is diminishing returns, but I want to make sure my 2018 CX-9 Sig is performing correctly. So would appreciate it if someone could confirm.

Interesting thing I discovered, but probably everyone knows. In manual mode WITH TRACTION CONTROL off, the tranny wont downshift even if you floor it past the kick down in the pedal, like it will in manual mode with everything set to normal. So even more "manual like" than simple manual mode.

This one seems to hang on to gears longer but it doesn't get to the redline:

The torque peak, with 93 AKI gasoline, is at 2500 rpm (2k w/87 AKI). It was designed for that low rpm to make it more tractable in ordinary city driving. The hp peak is at 5000 rpm with any octane.

People ascribe all sorts of mythical virtues to torque. It is simply a twisting force. Horsepower is the measure of work actually accomplished. (For example, an electric motor with the shaft locked stationary will develop infinite torque and zero power--zero work done--just start to smoke and smell awful.) What really matters is the horsepower developed at the rpms you're actually running. Horsepower is measured as the product of torque and rpm. (The actual calculation includes a factor, and the factor varies whether you're measuring torque in the English system or metric system.) A ship I worked on had a horsepower meter...actually a strain gauge system that measured the twist in the 30" solid steel propeller shaft, and this torque measurement was calculated to display horsepower. It was moderate--32,000 hp. There was no display of torque, because it wasn't useful. Industrial diesel engines are all specified with the power output in either horsepower or kilowatts. Here's an example of a mid-sized engine--1200 kw/cylinder...1609 hp/cylinder.
https://www.wartsila.com/marine/build/engines-and-generating-sets/diesel-engines/wartsila-46f
A large engine will be around 7,000 hp/cylinder.

5000 rpm sounds about right. I would have to test it again on my 2018 to get exact confirmation. From memory i think it was slightly above 5000.

I double checked today, traction off makes no difference, and sport mode doesn't make a difference. Seems inconsistent as well, some times around 4700 up to 5200.

Guess this only happens during the 1st to 2nd shift. Shifts from 2nd and above hit higher and 5500-5700.

Maybe it's based on traction or some other feedback, since it's not consistent.

Back