Question on the AWD system

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
I understand how the basic system works ( iSense, 200 times per second, blah, blah, blah) and that it's front wheel biased. But is it only powering one of the front wheels until the sense system tells it to do otherwise?

Also, are the any non-slip/non-rain/non-cold conditions such as hard cornering and acceleration (spirited corners or heavy acceleration on cloverleaf on-ramp) that would start sending any power to the rear?

@hal2

I am curious what problem or behavior of the AWD you are trying to better understand.

besides the official statements:

Are you trying to force a behavior when it shouldn't happen or seeing a behavior when it shouldn't happen?

I've read and understand everything that Mazda talks about in their literature. But other than sensing if it's raining or cold, or if you start to apply brakes in certain conditions, I don't see where it talks about other conditions that it might send power elsewhere

But im curious if it's available under performance and spirited driving. Or put another way, is it simply for safety and not performance.

For example, the Acura super all-wheel drive will start sending power to the rear wheels simply under heavy acceleration, and in addition to that will Vector more power to the outer rear Wheel during a hard turn. But without regard to that, is the Mazda only driving one of the front wheels under normal driving conditions?

Last edited:
Mazda got some reaction in Subaru forums a few years ago when Mazda claimed it's AWD was as good as or better than Subaru's.

Mazda doesn't make claims about being better off-road, but for the majority of driver who don't go into the woods with their cars, the Mazda's predictive AWD is as good as or better than the competition.

Here's a good article which goes into great depth including discussion of other makes including Acura:
"Among affordable compact SUVs, Mazda crossovers with i-Activ AWD show themselves to be on equal footing with Subaru and better in some cases."

Also here's some more in depth discussion from Dave Coleman:

Last edited:
None of the responses or linked articles answers the OP's question, which specifically asked about spirited driving.

But here is what we do know based on objective testing...
The AWD version is a WORSE performer than the FWD version on many metrics (based on Car & Driver instrumented testing):
- Slower in a straight line (0-60, 0-100, 5-60, 30-50, 50-70, 1/4 mile)
- Longer braking distances (70-0 MPH)
- No better roadholding (skidpad)
- Worse gas mileage
- Heavier
- More Expensive
- More Maintenance

Unless you live in the snow belt or mountains, I would go with the FWD every time.

e
None of the responses or linked articles answers the OP's question, which specifically asked about spirited driving.

But here is what we do know based on objective testing...
The AWD version is a WORSE performer than the FWD version on many metrics (based on Car & Driver instrumented testing):
- Slower in a straight line (0-60, 0-100, 5-60, 30-50, 50-70, 1/4 mile)
- Longer braking distances (70-0 MPH)
- No better roadholding (skidpad)
- Worse gas mileage
- Heavier
- More Expensive
- More Maintenance

Unless you live in the snow belt or mountains, I would go with the FWD every time.

FWD also enjoys WORSE resale, WORSE poor weather driving in rain/snow and is LESS capable off a paved road.

My AWD 2019GT averages over 31 mpg per tank since aquiring it in January. The added capabilities of the AWD are well worth the tiny performance loss.

FWD also enjoys WORSE resale, WORSE poor weather driving in rain/snow and is LESS capable off a paved road.
The added capabilities of the AWD are well worth the tiny performance loss.
You clearly didn't read the OP's question...
He specifically asked about AWD in "non-slip/non-rain/non-cold conditions".
So off-roading, rain and snow are irrelevant to this discussion.

And I certainly wouldn't call the performance advantages I cited for the FWD version "tiny."

Regarding resale value, I would hope the AWD version commands higher resale, since it costs $1400 more upfront. You also need to include the added costs of sales tax, interest (if you are financing), maintenance and lower MPG.

Last edited:
Having had both FWD and AWD versions, I can argue that I will NEVER bother with FWD again.

AWD is far better for safety and performance. It is so nice not having to EVER think about traction when pulling into traffic. With my parents FWD CX-5, I am always accidentally spinning the tires when I drive it.

I've read and understand everything that Mazda talks about in their literature. But other than sensing if it's raining or cold, or if you start to apply brakes in certain conditions, I don't see where it talks about other conditions that it might send power elsewhere

But im curious if it's available under performance and spirited driving. Or put another way, is it simply for safety and not performance.

For example, the Acura super all-wheel drive will start sending power to the rear wheels simply under heavy acceleration, and in addition to that will Vector more power to the outer rear Wheel during a hard turn. But without regard to that, is the Mazda only driving one of the front wheels under normal driving conditions?
I'm pretty happy with it. In spirited driving in the rain, ice, or dry and warm, its apparent and available 100%. It is not a nannymode.

Having had both FWD and AWD versions, I can argue that I will NEVER bother with FWD again.

AWD is far better for safety and performance. It is so nice not having to EVER think about traction when pulling into traffic.
Given what the OP is asking about, I don't know how you could possibly claim that AWD is "far better" for performance.
In fact, the instrumented testing shows the opposite, that the FWD version is a better performer with regard to acceleration and braking.

I don't think that mashing the gas while turning right from a dead stop, in front of oncoming traffic, is the kind of "performance" the OP is asking about.

I've had both AWD and FWD as well. Buying the FWD CX-5 was a no-brainer.
In 95%+ of real world use cases, the 187HP FWD version is superior.
It is lighter, gets better MPG, faster on virtually all acceleration metrics, shorter braking distance, same amount of grip, considerably cheaper and less maintenance.

Given what the OP is asking about, I don't know how you could possibly claim that AWD is "far better" for performance.
In fact, the instrumented testing shows the opposite, that the FWD version is a better performer with regard to acceleration and braking.

I don't think that mashing the gas while turning right from a dead stop, in front of oncoming traffic, is the kind of "performance" the OP is asking about.

It is lighter, gets better MPG, faster on virtually all acceleration metrics, shorter braking distance, same amount of grip, considerably cheaper and less maintenance.
Thank goodness we both have choices.
Having owned both versions of them I know what works best for me. Traction for me is included when I talk about performance I'm not worried about 0 to 60 numbers. I didn't spend any more money out the door I haven't spent any more money on maintenance and as far as the extra weight and one mile per gallon difference sometimes that's negligible.

We get it. You have very strong opinions about FWD vs AWD, as it appears you have similar strong opinions on other issues.

Yes AWD systems add weight, and therefore slower 0-60 times in ideal conditions, and have longer braking distance. And many people like you are happy with 2WD instead of AWD for many reasons.

But performance is not only about acceleration. And safety is not all about braking distance. How much control you have under all situations is also important for both performance and safety..

Subaru does pretty well selling only AWD cars.

You have very strong opinions about FWD vs AWD...
Yes AWD systems add weight, and therefore slow 0-60 times, and have longer braking. And many people like you are happy with 2WD instead of AWD for many reasons.
But performance is not only about acceleration. And safety is not all about braking distance. How much control you have under all situations is also important for both performance and safety..
You're wrong...these are not my "strong opinions".
They are documented instrumented testing of AWD and FWD CX-5 by a third-party, which shows FWD to have better performance under the conditions the OP is asking about.

In fact, I'm the only one here who has cited independent facts/statistics.
Everyone claiming AWD is superior have cited nothing but opinions and use cases that are irrelevant to the OP's question.

This comes close to my OP. Many AWD systems actually make for a better handling car with spirited driving under 'typical'/non-emergency driving conditions and I was wondering if the Mazda system has those advantages too

You're wrong...these are not my "strong opinions".
They are documented instrumented testing of AWD and FWD CX-5 by a third-party, which shows FWD to have better performance under the conditions the OP is asking about.

In fact, I'm the only one here who has cited independent facts/statistics.
Everyone claiming AWD is superior have cited nothing but opinions and use cases that are irrelevant to the OP's question.
Looking at your post history, you are quite argumentative aren't you.

Having owned both versions of them I know what works best for me. Traction for me is included when I talk about performance I'm not worried about 0 to 60 numbers. I didn't spend any more money out the door I haven't spent any more money on maintenance and as far as the extra weight and one mile per gallon difference sometimes that's negligible.
This thread is about the OP's specific use cases, not about what works best for you.
He specifically asked about ...
I don't see where it talks about other conditions that it might send power elsewhere (non-slip/non-rain/non-cold conditions)
Spirited corners or heavy acceleration on cloverleaf on-ramp

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that the AWD version performs better than the FWD version in these conditions. If anything, the evidence indicatest the AWD version will actually perform WORSE.

Strange that people would get all-wheel drives then, I guess it's all a big sham. You might want to tell the many Performance car makers that their all wheel drive systems are not worth it.

I have had better handling and performance with this all-wheel drive then I did my front wheel drive CX-5 so that is all I can speak to is my real world experience.
I would love to see a side-by-side comparison of the two scientifically data base track test

Last edited:
Looking at your post history, you are quite argumentative aren't you.
Only when people misstate things like you did.

I'm the only one here who has stated relevant facts, yet you inexplicably call me out for having "strong opinions".

While at the same time, another poster provided a very strong opinion that AWD is "far better" for performance, while providing absolutely no evidence to back it up.

Back