Protege KLZE/KLDE V6 swap thread

Lewis7789

Evan aka "Lady Hands"
Contributor
:
1995 MX-5, 2006 MZ5, 2001 Yamaha R1
Hey guys. There are more and more KL swapped Protege's out there but the info is scattered all over so I though this would be a good thread to keep general info in one spot and ask questions during your swaps. Please don't PM me with questions.

Some general info about the Mazda KL series;

JDM KLZE; 198hp
JDM KLDE; 170hp
USDM KLDE (found in 93-97 Ford Probe GT and Mazda MX-6 LS); 165hp
USDM KLG4 (found in 98-2002 Mazda 626); 170hp

These are the four main versions of the KL available to us in the States.

The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the intake manifold.

Straight neck JDM KLZE (198hp);

Curve neck JDM KLDE and USDM KLDE (170hp);

Straight neckUSDM KLDE (165hp)

KLG4 (170hp)

Here is some general info on the Mazda KLZE and KLDE;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-6

Here is a great buyers check list to look for when buying a KL;
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701245892

Some of the Protege/KL build threads here on 247.com

-IukekiniProtege's Protege/KL swap build thread;
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814293-Slotege-KLZE-Swap-Thread-Take-2

-Lewis7789's P5/KL swap build thread;
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123811397-Lewis7789-s-2003-Protege5-build-thread

-ihone's P5/KL turbo build thread;
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123802634-alright-here-goes-KL-P5-take2

-Teeson's P5/KL build thread;
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123810656-Teeson-s-Probege-Build-Thread

Last edited:
Parts list for swap;

- FS-DE 2.0l axles bolt right up.

- KL intermediate shaft. You'll need to modify the USDM Intermediate shaft to bolt up to the JDM KLDE block. Or use a JDM intermediate shaft with a JDM motor OR USDM shaft with a USDM KL.

- FS-DE 2.0l motor mount brackets. The actual brackets that mount to the motor and transmission so they will bolt up to the Protege OEM or aftermarket motor mounts.

- Probe GT/MX-6 radiator or OEM Protege radiator with longer coolant hoses. The KL's coolant inlet/outlet ports are reversed for the FS-DE 2.0l.

- Probe/MX-6 transmission

- KL ECU. Probe GT, MX-6, Millenia, 626 ECU's all work, but you have to match OBD1 or OBD2 with the ECU for your VAF or MAF and O2 sensors. Xtreme Things offers a plug-n-play KL31/KL36 ECU for the JDM KLZE with the proper VRIS points. MegaSquirt also offers a plug-n-play tunable standalone for OBD1 KL's.

- Custom exhaust midpipe

- Engine wiring harness. Again, depending on what year/OBD your ECU is.

- Power steering high pressure line bolts up but low pressure line needs to be routed will a reducer to bolt up to the KL PS pump.

Last edited:
Tips and tricks;
300px-Konami_Code.svg.png

- If using a JDM straigh neck KLZE you'll need to use a smaller battery like a Braille 2015 or relocate the battery since the intake elbow won't clear the OEM battery.

- The Protege shift linkage will work, but it places the shifter in a different position. Basically it looks like it's in neutral when it's in 1st gear. The Probe GT/MX-6 shift linkage corrects this BUT the U bracket that mounts to the base of the shifter is wider so place some washers into the base of your shifter lever to take up the slack. Or cut off the Protege U bracket and weld it to the PGT shift linkage.

- Heater core hoses will bolt up and work fine, some trimming may be necessary.

- Fuel lines need to be 3/8" or 6AN. Simply remove the hardlines from the Protege and use 3/8" high pressure FUEL lines and clamps to the inlet/return for the KL.

- The brake booster hose will need to be modified. Simply use new tubing but be sure to insert the OEM check valve inline with the new hose.

- For the KLZE running OBDI;

ECU: KL31/KL36 are the correct ECU as stated. If you are using a 93-94 harness the ZE will run well on the KL55 ecu w/ a KL02 VAF. The VRIS points are nto correct though so you will not be at the best power like you are when using KL31/36 w/ JE50 VAF

VAF: JE50...this is where the useful info lies...If looking on ebay for JE50 Vaf don't buy one that has KLZE listed in the title or description. These people have discovered that by doing this they can charge $40-$60 more. Just search for a 93-94 MX-3 GS vaf and make sure the description says JE50 as well as the picture. It will work perfect and you will pay $20-$30 for it rather than $60-$100.

Last edited:
Wiring;

For OBD1 KL (HUGE thanks to IukekiniProtege for listing this info in his build thread)
1994 MX6/626 ECU Pin Locations / Wire Colors Used
22-Pin Connector
Pin 1: Constant 12v Power - BL/R
Pin 2: Start Signal Input from Ignition Switch - BK/R
Pin 11: Ground - BK
Pin 12: PCM Power - R/BK
Pin 20: Neutral Safety Input - LG/BK
26-Pin Connector
Pin 1: Ground - BK
Pin 2: Ground - BK/R
Pin 14: Ground - BK
Pin 15: Ground - BK/BL

Protege Wiring - To get the cluster in fully functional condition, aside from the fan relay, and fuel pump relay the motor should be safe to run without this.
Ground Fuel Pump Relay at ECU
Wire tach adapter to cluster and tach signal wire on distributor
Use Protege Coolant temp sensor in the second coolant temp sensor location (KLZE only), extend Protege coolant temp wires to sensor.
Use protege reverse light switch and wires.
Use a 98+ 626 Speed sensor and Protege harness to run the speedometer on the cluster.
Use an aftermarket thermostatic fan relay

Last edited:
Nice thread Evan. Hopefully this will help out people looking to build a car like your own.

Evan, something else to add with regards to intermediate shafts, the 93 PGT shaft will bolt to a KLZE thats the only year that will without modification.

Some other useful information:

For the KLZE running OBDI.

ECU: KL31/KL36 are the correct ECU as stated. If you are using a 93-94 harness the ZE will run well on the KL55 ecu w/ a KL02 VAF. The VRIS points are nto correct though so you will not be at the best power like you are when using KL31/36 w/ JE50 VAF
VAF: JE50...this is where the useful info lies...If looking on ebay for JE50 Vaf don't buy one that has KLZE listed in the title or description. These people have discovered that by doing this they can charge $40-$60 more. Just search for a 93-94 MX-3 GS vaf and make sure the description says JE50 as well as the picture. It will work perfect and you will pay $20-$30 for it rather than $60-$100.

good thread bump-
-INFORMATION ABOUT THE FUEL LINES!!!!! :D I think that's the first time i've even seen that part mentioned, now i'll scour the internet for wiring information

So the protege mounts and everything worth with the kl? Or you need probe 2.0 motor Mounts?

Basically not sounds like you need a kl half shaft kl engine harness and figure out radiator in a nut shell that's all you need?

Protege mounts work if you use protege brackets front and rear, mx6/626/pgt v6 mounts needed if using mx6/626/pgt brackets front and back. Use protege mounts and brackets on the sides.

FYI,
Anyone that has/is doing this swap this is some general repair info for you guys.

When replacing the alternator you have to remove the a/c compressor since it will not fit past it or come up through the top. Also, the pivot bolt on the alt. hits the frame rail when trying to pull it out, you need to loosen the passenger mount nuts that are on the studs to drop that side of the engine down an inch or so to clear the frame rail. Other than that it is a fairly easy repair. Took me 30min last night to do mine.

2.5L KLZE into P5

I just happened to stumble upon this Thread. I dropped a ZE into my P5 last summer with help from Justin via Skype.

I have since purchased a 03.5MSP and have a ZE to drop in with some goodies. I plan to document this as best I can with hopes to contribute to this thread. It's always easier the second time lol. My full parts car arrived at the shop today, so in the next 2-3 weeks I will have compiled enough pictures to give guys a full write up.

-M

Hey,

I stumbled across a tread you had contributed to saying you had dropped a KLZE into a P5. I purchased a P5 with a KLZE dropped into it (July 2013) and was very excited about the car. On the way home from the purchase, the transmission went (5 speed) due to the fluid leaking while it was sitting.... I parked the car and hadn't worked on it since a couple months ago.

Unfortunately, I later found out, I won't be able to get the car e-tested in Ontario because the P5 needs to be tested with OBD2 (a custom megasquirt system was wired in). Being naive at the point of purchase I did not consider this. Anyways, a friend of mine had hooked up the battery backwards and now the car won't crank. The instrument cluster doesn't light up or anything. I checked and replaced the main fuse but haven't done any more work on it.

Questions for you (if you wouldn't mind):
- What sort of items should I check/replace in order to at least get it to crank? Starter solenoid? Ignition switch? Alternator?
- Lets say I am able to get it running, and swapped to OBD2, will the car be tested under 2002 P5 emission requirements?
- How were you able to get your car e-tested and legal?

Any sort of information on the swap would be greatly appreciated. If it seems to be too much of a hassle, I would just like to get it cranking, show someone that the compression is proper and sell the whole package for $1000. I currently have it on Kijiji (2.5L KLZE (KL-31) FS. Includes Protege 5 parts).

Again I would really appreciate your input on this.

Thanks!

Any info on OBD 2 wiring? 97 KLDE in OB2 Protege?

Better off switching to OBD1. OBD2 is a pain and I dont really know of anyone with a completed OBD2 swap. I know of some people trying to get a harness made but its alot more hassle in the long run

I've been playing around with the idea of a KLZE swap on my Pro5 (though I may just go DE since it'll be easier to source and less risky)

I notice that there's some issues regarding wiring up to OBD2. Couldn't you just use the Harnesses from an MX6? I mean, as long as it came off an LS without ABS (if like me you don't have ABS) than it should work, shouldn't it?

I also read that these have to have Premium Gasoline, is that for real? If so I might as well crank on as much power as I can since it's already gonna be a wallet burner...

So, reading this thread I've seen that I'll need the motor (obviously) a trans from a compatible car, a wiring harness, and... drive shafts? Am I missing something? I want to budget this out before I get serious so I need a one stop list of info which is here but I'm exhausted, also I'm curious if more information regarding the swap has come to light since this was last posted in...

Alright guys, sorry for rambling. If anybody has info for me thank you, though I'm probably beating a dead horse, I just got lost reading all the stuff posted up here.

If you're building a database add a link to my swap to the list. Link is in my sig.

Will do man, thanks. I'm still a ways down the road. Uncertainty with living arrangements in the future is really putting a shoe in my plans. That and I'll need something else to drive in the mean time lol.

Back