alright - here goes. KL-P5-take2

:
2002 P5 Wag
I've been told that I need to go ahead and get my parts list together to do a KL swap. I have financial backing now (feels.....weird.....) and I have my dead P5.

I've scoured the board all day looking at everyone's lists of parts, pieces, and misc crap that it takes to make this swap happen. It seems everyone has a different way of doing this though - and my question lingers yet: What do I need in the form of MAS/MAF, ECU, wiring harness, engine bay harness, rad, A/C (gotta have A/C here in TX....), and whatnot. I've got a line on a KLDE and auto trans from here in TX, shipped to my doorstep for 750 total. After that - I'll be taking everything over to a friend's house to start the carnage. Would any of you KL fellers be so kind as to show me what it took, parts-wise, to complete your installation, and kinda round-about what the total cost was? I'm not looking to make it fast - I want reliable. I can do fast later on - thus why I'm going with a KLDE right now - it'll take boost a little better later on.

I will be starting on it Friday, Sept. 2nd and be working on it every day through until I return to work on Sept. 11th. That "should" be enough time to at least get it swapped, running, and everything misc taken care of if I'm not mistaken.

As far as the old motor/tranny (auto) - I'll be scrapping the pair of them, unless someone on here needs an auto tranny and some misc parts that may be good on my old FSDE (head, covers, etc).

just got off the phone with the "money-man" - we'll be looking for a donor car for parts. Think salvage yards would have what I need...yesss!

But I still need to know what to look out for - I've read so many damn threads on this today.....I'm bushed. I can't seem to make sense of alot of it, so just help a fellow P5 owner out and let me know what you had to do, had to cut and weld, had to cut OFF, had to , had to, had to.......if you would.

Thanks again!

Got your PM. I'll write when I get home from work later and help out as much as I can.

Thanks man. It'll be great to have a list of "what is" and "what isn't" necessary just for the swap.

We were talking lastnight (me and "dad") - he said "why not just get yourself a totalled salvage donor car, park it beside the p5, and swap the parts 1 for 1?"

.....Hmmm.....sounds like the easiest way to do this! Plus, there won't be any missing parts that are necessary to buy, unless they're faulty. At least that way I'll have all the parts to make it run.

Well, a donor car would be nice but you still need some custom fabrication for the exhaust, radiator brackets and some hoses (coolant and power steering).

I basically have a parts list on post #2 of my build thread. And Justin has a ton of info (He's basically the OG of the Protege KL swap here on 247.com) in his build thread.

Sean is also working on a KL swap in his P5 and has some helpful info.

ProbeTalk.com has a lot of info on the KLDE and KLZE and there are some really smart cats in there.

Just gotta do tons and tons of research and have a plan ready.

Good luck with the A/C... only one man has done it, and he's not talking.

Well if you're in a hurry then I would advise just swapping in another FS-DE. I'm not trying to turn you off of the swap because I really like the KL but it's a lot of work and research. It's not just a simple Honda B-series swap.

And I just realized you're staying with an automatic tranny. I think you'll end up having 3 ECU's. One for the Protege body, one for the motor and one for your automatic tranny since the KL's have seperate ECU's for their transmissions. Your wiring just turned from headache to migraine, buddy... And as far as I know, no one has attempted to keep the automatic tranny.

But if you've got enough finicial backing, a well stocked garage, mechanical know-how, research and time then go for it. Again, I'm not trying to dismay you but it's a lot of work. Justin got his KLZE swapped in under two weeks (and that cat really knows his s***) Sean has been working on his for months (though he's very busy with school) and mine took about a month and I was working everyday after work and on the weekends. But I'm anal.

Are you going with an OBD2 or OBD1 KL? And you're sticking with a USDM KLDE?

I'd <3 to swap another FSDE into it and be done over a weekend......but I won't. I've had 2, yes 2, 2.0's go ka-put under a little stress. I've done engine swaps into things that just.......didn't make sense. V8's in Vega's, Mavericks, Pintos, a v8 into a RR Porsche......and a few fun things.

This won't be as bad as I see it. I have the know-how. If I'm going to replace this clunky lil 4 banger - I'm not going back with a third one. I'll stick something in there that's a known-good engine, and it's a decent spot to start from at a later date for mods. I'm going to give this a shot, and see what sticks. Why not....it's not like the motor in my car is worth anything and I'm driving it now, right?

Thanks - and I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Right on, right on. That's a good outlook on the project and I hope all the best for you. I wouldn't put another FS in it either. I can help with the mechanical bits and pieces but as far as the wiring, I'm not much help at all. My friends found all the wiring solutions from the schematics and I just wired it up.

Like you said, keep this thread up to date and we'll help out as much as possible.

right on bro.

Gotta find a donor car first though....that seems to be my problem at the moment. I've looked in the greater Houston area for anything with a KLDE/ATX that's got the harness, the ECU's, and any crossmembers/mounts/etc that I'm going to need for this swap - but to no avail - I'm coming up short.

KL's with auto - milly, 626.....and that's about it, isn't it?

You suggest sticking OBDII? That's just for inspection reasons, right?

The Probe GT and MX-6 also came with an automatic and OBD2. You don't need OBD2 unless you need inspections, right. And you don't need any crossmembers or motormounts. The mounts for the FS fit perfectly. At least for the manual transmission applications.

then let's hope auto follows the previous path (fitment...).

putting this on hold until after the wedding this Sunday, but after that......it's on!

sitting here......waiting......

the seconds are crawling by.....

6.5 hours until the ceremony and my kids are about to drive me insane!!!!!!

ok, ok - marriage = check.

Now.....time to get this thing up and done. I'm going to be scouring the net tonight for the evolved part of the plan....it's as follows:

1.) find a KLZE (yeah...not a DE) for a powerplant. I've been doing alot of thinking about this. Being that this is my daily beater - hows that old saying go? "Don't make your DD your racecar". The KLZE would be a great drop-in for this and being that it's HP rating is decent enough to just slap a few bolt-on's and make a lil power - why not?
2.) find a mx6/pgt/626/milly donor car for under 750 USD. I don't care of the engine is blown....not like I'm using it, right? I just need to park it beside the p5, and swap part for part to get it up and running. Anyone near Houston, TX with a donor car?

Looking for a KLZE+auto trans for under 1k, a donor car for 750 or less, and about 10 days to get it all swapped over.

...very doable I say!

The KLDE auto trans will be even more unreliable than a fsde engine, they are absolutely horrible. A klde makes enough power to easily overheat the trans, add the extra power of a ZE and it's service life is cut down further.

^^^ Truth. I forgot the KL automatic trannies are crap. Thankfully the Milly I bought for $650 (blown head gasket) had the tranny replaced last year. Something to think about, mate.

And I can't remember what you said about emissions testing and if you have to do it or not? If so, don't forget about the EGR and all the emissions controls. I still don't know how you're going to make it work and the wiring with 3 ECU's makes me cringe but I'll help out as much as I can. :)

grrr......I keep coming back to the same ol question:

Why keep the auto, dude!?

As much as I want to keep the auto, I keep coming up empty-handed as far as the perfect donor car to transplant the engine and trans I'm <about> to get, use the donor's harness(s), ECU(s) and whatnot.

I know, I know.....sell the auto and get a standard...blahblahblah....just not feasible at the moment. I love this lil car, I still have a few payments to make on it (yeah.....mistake when I got it), and I don't see any other way around getting a KL into it. I'm guessing this is going to be a nightmare as long as I'm trying to keep it A/T.

So.......ok. back to the drawring board..... KL AND an M/T swap.....ugh......

Back