playing MP3 CDs

Chuckles

I just ordered a 2007 Mazda3. Now my music needs are satisfied by one CD-full of MP3 files, which I just leave permanently in my current car's CD player. My upgrade to a brand new car apparently will downgrade me to playing standard audio CDs only.

My dealer says I will need to get a $500 6-CD changer for MP3 capability, but I don't need a changer. I know there will be an aux jack, but I will have to buy an MP3 player to attach, which will be subject to theft if I leave it there, and I won't be able to control it through the car stereo controls.

Any likelihood that the factory stereo will play MP3 CDs even though they don't say so?

I mean, MP3 capability is pretty standard issue nowadays (although it wasn't so common even 2 years ago). They'd have to go through some trouble to disable the MP3 capability on their CD players.

Nope, there's no chance the the stock player in the car will play Mp3's. There was a single disc Mp3 player for the '04-'05 models, but I don't think it will be compatible with the '07 cars.

So you can buy the 6CD/Mp3 player (you'll get it a little cheaper from www.onlinemazdaparts.com ...... but not much cheaper). it's an easy switch, and if your car is coming with the standard 6CD (i.e.- you got the moonroof) then you could sell that to make some money back.

About the aux input. Bear in mind that it's in the center console, so unless you leave a Mp3 player sitting out people still won't be able to see it. If you did buy an ipod then see the stickied thread at the top of this forum "Options for adding an audio input" (by me) for lots of integration methods. Going that way you could probably get an ipod, and integration method cheaper than buying the 6CD/Mp3 deck from the dealer, plus you'd get a lot more memory out of the ipod vs. a CD.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice! Since I don't have an IPod, I'm going to go with the USB adapter listed in the sticky. Apparently, I can plug in any USB memory key holding MP3 files, and have it simulate a CD changer. Better than buying an IPod if I'm going to just leave it in the car permanently.

Pretty weird, though, that Mazda default stereos don't have MP3 capability. They didn't save money, they probably had to pay extra to get this capabiliy disabled.

Chuckles:

I wasn't sold on the whole iPod thing either, until I bought Nanos for the wife and children last Xmas. After setting them up and playing with them for a little bit, I was so amazed by the little devices, I went out an got myself a 60GB iPod video. I put all my music on it, and still have plenty of room left to put a bunch of movies on it, too (Xilisoft DVD to iPod Suite makes that easy).

I won't be worried about the theft issue, because whenever I leave the car, I will just take it with me. I am not trying to sell you; I own no Apple stock, but you might want to explore the option.

Glad I could help out. I'm not really sure how the the USB function works. For instance does it remember what track you're on? Does it just go random (personally that's fine by me), or does it always play in the same order. There are some threads around, I believe, where people discuss that.

someone at the mazda3forum got the USB audiolink, installed a USB SD card reader and attached it right behind the "multi function audio system" panel. Then it cut a little hole in that groove and he can just stick the SD card in that way. personally I think that's just damn cool

I think it's really lame that they don't just put the Mp3 player in the car standard. I mean lots of other companies do it, and as you said the cost isn't that much more. Maybe for 2008. <sigh>

BKK Jack, I kinda feel the same way. It's nice to have all your music at your finger tips. That being said I don't really like the whole ..... well monopoly is kind of a strong word, but it'll do..... that apple has going on the Mp3 player market. I mean 80% of Mp3 players are ipods. Really the thing that bothers me is that there are no integration methods, or big aftermarket for anything else.

icspots said:
For instance does it remember what track you're on?
Yes

Does it just go random (personally that's fine by me), or does it always play in the same order.
It can do either, I believe.

someone at the mazda3forum got the USB audiolink, installed a USB SD card reader and attached it right behind the "multi function audio system" panel. Then it cut a little hole in that groove and he can just stick the SD card in that way. personally I think that's just damn cool
Sounds good to me. I'll look for that post.

icspots it would be nice if you found that information and posted it here so we can easily find it...

BKK Jack said:
I wasn't sold on the whole iPod thing either, until I bought Nanos for the wife and children last Xmas. After setting them up and playing with them for a little bit, I was so amazed by the little devices, I went out an got myself a 60GB iPod video. I put all my music on it, and still have plenty of room left to put a bunch of movies on it, too (Xilisoft DVD to iPod Suite makes that easy).

I won't be worried about the theft issue, because whenever I leave the car, I will just take it with me. I am not trying to sell you; I own no Apple stock, but you might want to explore the option.
I am sure the IPods are amazing devices, but if I use it in the car, it just emulates a CD changer, so I don't get to use its amazing features.

If I were to take it with me, an IPod would be the right choice. But I'm already carying a cell phone in my pocket, and that's enough for me. (I guess I could get a cell phone with built-in MP3 player...but then there won't be a clean way to connect it to the Mazda stereo and have it stay charged and controllable via the steering wheel controls.)

UMmmm... Why not pull your MP3 stereo now and put it in the 07??? It will drop right in. You can buy a replacement stock stereo off ebay for less then $100 swap that into your car now. keep your MP3 deck, swap that into the new car and your home...all for less then $100.00!

Zc

Chuckles said:
I am sure the IPods are amazing devices, but if I use it in the car, it just emulates a CD changer, so I don't get to use its amazing features.

If I were to take it with me, an IPod would be the right choice. But I'm already carying a cell phone in my pocket, and that's enough for me. (I guess I could get a cell phone with built-in MP3 player...but then there won't be a clean way to connect it to the Mazda stereo and have it stay charged and controllable via the steering wheel controls.)

I see your point. I now have the iPod, a PDA, 2 cell phones (don't ask)-one with a camera, and a digital camera. I've got so much junk, I usually just leave all of it (except one phone) behind. I read and liked the idea behind the USB Audiolink. I have a 6GB compact flash micro-drive in my PDA that isn't doing anything since I got the iPod. Hmmmm......

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 GT 5 door on order and I'm also disappointed that none of the factory installed CD players will play mp3 CDs. I tried several of my mp3 CDs ... with and without folders ... no luck. They were tried in 2007 Mazda 3s with the standard 1 disc, 6 disc, and 6 disc with Bose ... again with no luck. The odd thing was that the players would read the CD and then start counting the minutes and seconds as if it was playing, but NO sound. Did Mazda disable this feature just so that they could sell the $500 6-CD changer with MP3 capability that is available through the parts department?

Chuckles said:
I just ordered a 2007 Mazda3. Now my music needs are satisfied by one CD-full of MP3 files, which I just leave permanently in my current car's CD player. My upgrade to a brand new car apparently will downgrade me to playing standard audio CDs only.

My dealer says I will need to get a $500 6-CD changer for MP3 capability, but I don't need a changer. I know there will be an aux jack, but I will have to buy an MP3 player to attach, which will be subject to theft if I leave it there, and I won't be able to control it through the car stereo controls.

Any likelihood that the factory stereo will play MP3 CDs even though they don't say so?

I mean, MP3 capability is pretty standard issue nowadays (although it wasn't so common even 2 years ago). They'd have to go through some trouble to disable the MP3 capability on their CD players.

Zero Cool said:
UMmmm... Why not pull your MP3 stereo now and put it in the 07??? It will drop right in.
In case you're talking to me...how do you know it will drop right in? You don't know what car I have. (It's a '92 Protege with CD player added later, and while it won't drop right in, I can probably make it fit. But it won't use the steering wheel controls nor look like it belongs there.)

I will study the ebay option, however.

ZoomVT said:
icspots it would be nice if you found that information and posted it here so we can easily find it...

Because we're no longer allowed to post links to other mazda communities. Didn't you see the sticky? I'll look for it in a bit and copy/paste it here. Really it was an ingenious idea.

bkk jack said:
I just went here: http://www.therpmstore.com/product_i...roducts_id=141

The page says it plugs into the external CD changer port. Since I am getting the 6 CD changer along with the moonroof, I assume that port will not be vacant, or am I wrong?
Today 04:02 AM

The 6CD is an integrated changer. The changer/sirius plug on the back will still be open.

Chuckles, I think he thought you had a 3 already and were just getting a newer one.

Here's the USB audiolink install with the USB to SD card reader that I mentioned before.

By theKM on www.mazda3forums.com "Playing MP3's off flash cards (SD's, Memory Sticks, etc)"

Just finished my card reader install... here's a pic of the car after the install...

sd_job_done_off.jpg

...and here's a pic of the car playing chunes from an SD card...

sd_job_done.jpg

Reason: I have a bunch of SD cards, as all the tech gear I've bought use this format (cameras, mp3 players, PDA's), so I have the cards, readers and so forth. I wanted mp3 in my car, but I wanted super easy managibility (easier than mp3 CD's)... was considering buying an ipod and such like, but already had a bunch invested in the cards. I then ran across the AudioLink USB on eBay, and I was sold... I could hook up a card reader of any format (even a multi-format reader), even a USB hard drive and have storage possibilities that kicked-ass over even a phatbox (I know that phatbox offers more than just mass storage (it runs on linux after all !!!)... no need to debate Smile ).

This thing also has the aux-input ability, so that'll get hooked up in the future, as well as a USB patch system so I can use portable hardrives permanently/temporarily mounted, plug in my laptop, whatever.

All my stuff is SD/MMC card format, so that's what I used... but this will work for any USB card reader for any card format that supports the generic "mass storage device" (i.e. just about any modern card reader). So if you have a pile of MemorySticks, this would be pretty groovy too.

Anyways... here's my hack-up for adding my primary feature, the card reader...

1) AudioLink as a product was very well packaged... comes with USB extension (for hooking up the card drive), headphone jack extension for plugging in any old player... a zip cable-tie... and the cable for plugging into the head unit...

sd_01.jpg

2) there's other threads that cover taking off the head unit, so that's not covered here. This pic is about measuring the hole for the card. The little recess under the "Multi Function Audio System" is the perfect size to take the card without cutting into the main surface of the console...

sd_cut_01.jpg

3) masking tape in a vain attempt to stop any scuff marks that may be made in cutting out the card hole...

sd_cut_02.jpg

4) cut out most of the plastic with a dremel... anything that rotates fast and is potentially dangerous will work...

sd_cut_03.jpg

5) trimmed the hole out to a snug fit with a sharp knife...

sd_cut_04.jpg

6) finished hole to accept the SD card...

sd_cut_05.jpg

7) now on to the electronic bits... plugged it all in to make sure it worked... tested the two card readers I had to make sure there was no difference. Also tested the aux-input to make sure the unit worked all as advertised...

sd_02.jpg

8 ) now to glue the card reader against the hole. Put the card in the reader to help alignment, etc... any glue used, be careful not to glue the card in the reader. I drilled the plastic either side of the reader, put a zip tie around it, and finished the job with a little glue. I used thick CA that I had on hand for RC planes, but 5 minute epoxy may be just as good... just enough glue to keep the card reader generally in place.

sd_03.jpg

9) another pic of the same step...

sd_04.jpg

10) now the reason for the balsa rails in the pic below is only that with the particular card reader I had (card plus in lin with the USB plug itself), I found I could forget the USB extension cable all together, and plug directly into the AudioLink box itself... and secure it all as one unit if I just built up under the box. Balsa is a wonderful material for many reasons, and it was handy... two half inch thick strips (each laminated from two 1/4 inch strips) proved to be the perfect thickness to get the job done. I glued the balsa to masking tape, so that I didn't have to stick it directly to the AudioLink.

sd_05.jpg

11) final pick with it all secured down with zip cable-ties. Made another basla shim to pack out the back of the unit... this way it's a solid unit from the card reader against the front of the head unit to the rear of the steel frame. All good !

sd_06.jpg

12) ...last step is to just plug in the AudioLink, and install it back into the dash of the car. And here it is... all done!

"...enjoy milkbone in commie free world phase!!"

sd_job_done.jpg

I was thinking of using a multiple format card reader, and mounting it in the slot next to the shifter (cards being vertically inserted), but there's only one format I care about, and I think the above install is a pretty tidy result. Reckon the card format is the most perfect for the easy-to-carry-around-and-manage... size, etc. And now I can play it in my car!!! Woohoo!

I'll get around to hooking up the aux-input to an inconspicuous par of the console (most likely, under the curved lip under the airconditioning controls), but you guys have seen a ton of that... and I do want to capitalise on the USB ability of the AudioLink... making plans to install a USB hard drive and USB patch cable system to plug in my lappy to manage the car mp3 list and such like.

...anyways... card readers for your favorite flash memory format, have at it! Very Happy

that is brilliant!
well done icspots. yes i know the new rules... see the blue title under my name? lol.
i was saying that you could post the text here. as i see you have done.
that is a great idea and it looks awesome.

icspots said:
The 6CD is an integrated changer. The changer/sirius plug on the back will still be open.

Thanks for the good news. Now I can spent the time obsessing about how to artfully integrate a CF size slot into my interior. It will be difficult without actually having a car, but what the hell. I'll be in temp housing for a while after getting back (i.e. no garage, no tools), so I will have plenty of time to figure it out for real then. I will also have time to use the iPod through the provided Aux in, and see if that is just good enough.

Basically, I have three choices:

1. Basic iPod with aux port.
2. Audiolink for the iPod.
3. Audiolink USB and CF microdrive.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for bringing over the install post. theKM is a wizard.

kamikazzz said:
Hi Chuckles,

I just bought form www.carlinkdirect.com a USB moduke MP3. You can use a USB memory flash to stock your MP3 song. The product is really nice. I bought this product 3 weeks ago and I'm really satisfied. The shipping and the customer service of this website was very good and fast. I bought for 139.99 CAD and free shipping!!!!!!!!

I hope I can help you.

Good luck

That is the same module as the audiolink, just a different name.

hey...read somewhere on here that the 3 is a Sirius car?
that mean I dont need to keep my player with me anymore? Just transfer my account to the new car?

Back