oil cooler gasket replaced and leaking again

:
Mazda5, 2006 touring
I had the leak between the oil filter adapter and oil cooler that seems to be so common on my '06. The dealer wanted me to buy the whole oil cooler as they wouldn't sell me only the gasket. I declined and found a replacement on Ebay. Now about a week later and 250mi I noticed it is leaking again! Only a few drops but it looks like it's coming from the same place. The place I took it to said they would repair for free if it's the same leak. Do I need a new gasket though? Unfortunately it'll take a few days to ship and I'd rather order it ASAP if I need it. I'm sure this was the right gasket and the mechanic confirmed also. Is this poor workmanship or just normal luck of the draw and sometimes it needs to be re-done?

If it doesn't cost too much, it would make sense to have another gasket. You can compare the old with the new to see if it was damaged. Which one did you buy?

Hard for antone to advise you. The obvious answer is get a new one if cost is not an issue. If the gasket is not deformed due to improper placement or torque (won't know till you take it out), I would reuse it but add light coating of gasket sealer.

It's this one: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) I just dropped it off to get looked at. The guy here is fixated on saying the dealer said it needs to come with the oil cooler. Sigh. I asked him if they get a kick back from the dealer when they sell one. It's only $30. The only issue is it takes a few days to deliver. If they don't fix it for free I will order a new one and have someone else install it and give them a bad review. It's not leaking excessively. i can carry spare oil just in case.

I just took it back. They kept saying the gasket was bad. What else can they say at this point? I'm going to go to another mechanic who's been recommended to me and see what he says. It seems odd to me that the gasket would be incorrect since so many have already used it successfully.

It looks like this is the same part? http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/18821-07172569.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=2006-2010+Mazda+6+Oil+Cooler+Seal+Dorman+06-10+Mazda+Oil+Cooler+Seal+2008+2007&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CMPEpciWssICFZSIfgodTkcA-g for <$26 (including shipping). Its hard to tell which one is the correct part since apparently they changed it in 2008 - but other listings have this similar part for the new Mazdas. I haven't been able to find a thread where a person has verified the correct gasket for the 2006 (black) vs the newer one (silver). I hope this doesn't happen to me :)

Looks like this guy replaced the gasket with gasket maker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9mgpotcik. He reused the plastic piece from the old gasket.

David

Last edited:
Gasket maker didn't work for my '08. I needed the vehicle so I had to pony up for the new version of the oil cooler at the dealership.

I had my mechanic try (against his recommendations) the Permatex on the old plastic- leaked like a sieve! I ordered that same part off Ebay, and it is holding just fine after two months/300 miles. Hard to tell what happened to Proteus, but I find it hard to believe the new gasket was defective. The Ford equivalent gasket may be available at a Ford dealership- since Mazda decided not to offer a reasonable solution.

I had my mechanic try (against his recommendations) the Permatex on the old plastic- leaked like a sieve! I ordered that same part off Ebay, and it is holding just fine after two months/300 miles. Hard to tell what happened to Proteus, but I find it hard to believe the new gasket was defective. The Ford equivalent gasket may be available at a Ford dealership- since Mazda decided not to offer a reasonable solution.
Went to change the transmission fluid today, and guess what? The oil cooler is starting to drip again....ordered the new silver cooler, bolt, gasket, etc. tonight- I'm done with trying to make the old cooler hold oil! Good thing I like the car- given this issue and the rear tire wear- I'd get rid of it otherwise!

Has anyone tried gasket from the the ford (mazda) oil cooler, part 1S7Z-6A642-AAA which sells for abut $115 online. MazdaSpeed forum user said the gasket works perfectly in the Mazda 5.

The gasket on this looks similar to the one that I just used to try and fix my cooler...at $200 less than the Mazda part, it would be nice to know if anyone's tried it successfully.

Planning on installing the new "silver cooler" this weekend. I notice that it seems to be heavier construction-wise than the black version- and the bolt has a wide flange on it- I assume to spread the torque more evenly around the gasket. The gasket itself looks different than the old model, and also different than the aftermarket Ebay version. Wish me luck.

Just to follow up on this. The mechanic took a look and he said one side of the gasket was crushed. So the mazda technician did not apply and press down on the cooler evenly. Not sure what my mechanic used, some sort of sealant, to keep it from leaking. However he recommended replacing the oil cooler anyway and would look for an aftermarket cooler for me. About a month later it started leaking again. A few drops at first and gradually more as time went on. I went back to him and he said no after market coolers were to be found that were reliable at least in his estimation. At that point I had to buy the silver Mazda cooler. He put it in about a month ago and no problems since then. So in summary I tried to save a buck and lost my shirt in the process. But my cars runs fine at least.

Back