New MSP owner with hesitating issues and failed Ca smog, (SEARCHED)

shadow7

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hi all, first of all i would like to say that before making this thread i dedicated many hours of research. I am aware of the common problems these cars have and what owners across the board are doing to solve such issues. I didnt however find a problem that best resembles what i'm experiencing here.

This is a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed protege that i purchased from the original owner, it has 161,000 miles on the clock and runs fairly well.
Upon purchasing the vehicle it had two codes, if i remember right they were p0171 and p0660 (not 100% sure). after inspecting the car i found the VICS solenoid valve defective, bad wastegate actuator, three huge cracks on the exhaust manifold, destroyed motor mounts, cracked intercooler hoses and a cracked radiator.

I purchased a steedspeed factory replacement manifold from another member, bought protegegarage poly motor mounts, brand new wastegate actuator, brand new radiator and corksport silicone intercooler hoses. I also checked with the dealer for possible re-calls and re-flash, they said everything seemed in order. i also checked for vacuum leaks.

After installing said parts the check engine light came off but the car does not run how its supposed to. The car will run great for the first 5 minutes of driving or when only at 1/2 throttle, other than that the car hesitates at around 3k RPM's when boost is supposed to kick in, does not accelerate much and boost dosnt seem to kick in till 5k rpm's.

The only other problem which i dont know if its associated is the smog, it failed but not too bad, attatched is a picture of the results.

if anyone car shine some light on this as i am running out of ideas and been searching like crazy almost day and night. I've replaced and fixed almost every problem i have found and i frankly dont see anything else wrong and there are no codes being thrown. I also need advice as to why I'm not passing smog.

thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    764.1 KB · Views: 321
i would do the regular maintenance on it as well. plugs, wires, new O2 sensors. could also be a bad cat thats causing you issues. but id rule that out last.

Sounds like bad plugs to me.. I've had bad plug and actually dynoed less wheel horsepower then a stock NA protege5 with 7 lbs of boost! The car actually felt like it was slowing down under boost tell about 4.5-5k rpms and then would take off once that rpm range was hit.

I suspected a clogged catalytic converter but was not sure. A tune up was performed upon purchasing the car, oil, filters, etc but I don't know what kind of Ngk plugs I used. I'll check that over today. I also have a set of new denso oxygen sensors that have not been installed and a test pipe to replace the catalytic convertors.

I'm gonna go ahead and replace that and see where it puts me. Thanks for the reply guys and if anybody thinks of anything else please post up

Changed the oxygen sensors today, changed out the plugs to the v powers you guys suggested and gapped then to spec, no change, aside from the suspicion of a clogged catalytic convertors I'm out of ideas and really frustrated, anyone else got any ideas?

I don't, the car is relatively stock, I think I might have a boost gauge laying around the garage but it's a boost gauge only no vacuum. I have no wideband

Update!

I suspected a clogged cat to be causing the issues so this morning I installed an SLS test pipe (no cats) and again no change to the hesitation issues. I'm out of ideas, anyone got any?

Also forgot to add something very odd,

After installing the SLS test pipe I was expecting MIL light (check engine light) because of the lack of catalytic convertors, and after driving the car for an hour or so...... Still no check engine light, and the oxygen sensors are brand spanking new, what the hell is going on here ????

Also forgot to add something very odd,

After installing the SLS test pipe I was expecting MIL light (check engine light) because of the lack of catalytic convertors, and after driving the car for an hour or so...... Still no check engine light, and the oxygen sensors are brand spanking new, what the hell is going on here ????

nothing out of the norm it wont trip right away.. I have a catless 3" midpipe and 3+ years later its finally tripping a cel

Gotcha! That's good to know,

On a side note I was doing a bit more research on the subject and found this thread

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123802827-Just-did-the-ECU-Reflash-OMG-life-is-good-again-!!

This guy's situation seems way too familiar. The reason why I had discarded the reflash is because I had mentioned it to the service writer at the dealer and she said everything was ok like saying it had already been taken care of in the past. I'm thinking she didn't even bother to actually check and my car has no sticker or label saying it has been performed.

I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow

the reflash is really a hit or miss type of situation. it was meant to "TRY" and help any hesitation issues from the original pig-rich tune the msp had. some guys have experienced good things from the reflash, others msps have stayed the same. if you suspect its a tuning issue, only way to help that would be by getting a piggyback tuner like unichip or preferably SSAFC. but whats odd is that you have a check engine light. just as a side note, i would check also to make sure you dont have a vacuum leak coming from your by-pass/divertor valve. i had a faulty one that was leaking, which was noticeable at mid rpm to high rpm range and i couldnt build boost properly. so just my .02

The ecu flash is hit or miss for sure.... If you have plans of running high boost on a budget (boost controller only), the reflash will be a death sentence...

For the p0660 code find a junk yard by browns field in chula vista and pull a sensor $20... If you still have stock intercooler pipes id def replace those, may be a crack in them. I had those codes along time ago and it was my wastegate actuator leaking.. To test that grab vacuum line to wastegate and blow and suck into actuator line... You shouldnt be able to do either

Thanks for the reply guys, let me clear up some confusion though,

The codes the car was throwing were there when I purchased the car, I already fixed the codes.

I also already replaced the wastegate actuator and the intercooler pipes with cork sport silicone units.

As far as the ssafc goes I don't really plan on ever running more boost on this car, the only purpose is to serve as my daily driver, I have a 93 rx7 that takes car of my high boost needs LOL.

So that's the main reason why I was considering the flash.

the "flash" still is a hit or miss. and honestly not worth it IMO. but again check your bpv for leaks as well.

Back