HELP! tensioner bolt broke

bcowley

:
2003 Mazda Protege LX
Went to go replace my serpentine belt about 2 weeks ago as it was half on, half off. Felt tight, not sure how long it was like that for, noticed about 3 weeks ago. Anyways as I was loosing the bolts. I loosened the top side one no problem, went for the slider bolt I believe, the one with the pulley anyways. Then went for that long tension bolt and it broke off. As of today Christmas, the belt is still tight to my knowledge, I just have a broken bolt. Any ideas on how to get it out and what the replacement bolt is?. I'm thinking of using WD-40 and vice grips to try to get the bolt out then replace it. This is my first car and I honestly don't know a whole lot about fixing things in an engine. Any input would help, will post pictures in a few hours. Thanks again and merry Christmas.

Sounds like you were torquing on the adjustment bolt while it was still secured by the lock nut. I have done that before, you can replace the bolts and should be fine. Just take a look at the procedure for changing belts in the shop manual online

Latest posts

Back