Fuel Pump upgrades

jlacefield

:
2010 MazdaSpeed3
Hey i've been wanting to redo my whole exhaust system for a while. So was gonna get the CS downpipe, racepipe, and cat. But i've been looking and i keep seeing people suggesting that you upgrade your fuel pump internals before doing that. I was wondering if it really mattered that much or not?

The OEM HPFP, even after all these years, is just enough to handle stock loads.

There are two mods guaranteed to exceed the abilities of the stock HPFP, upgraded intercooler and/or downpipe (regardless of catted or not). Either will increase airflow, and therefore require more fuel. It is recommended to do the fuel pump prior to either of these mods.

If you have means to log, such as an AP or DH, you could try waiting, but you'll need to watch your fuel pressures like a hawk- they WILL start falling while under load, and once they do you're done, it must be replaced.

edit to add pic of fuel pump failure log for example to help instill paranoia in hopes you'll do the HPFP first...

hpfpfail.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the only other mod i have on it right now is just the SRI. I did want to put the CorkSport downpipe on. I was hoping it wouldn't make to much of a differnce with the stock HPFP cause im not actually going to be racing it everyday or anything. Just like to have a nice performance car.

Perfectly understandable.

Do you have a tune, or any method to tune for or log changes and results from your mods?

I was going to look into getting one of the basic ones from HyperTech. Thought it would be nice to see what all my stats are anyway. So I know how much improvement im getting.

The HT is perfectly adequate if you are within their "mod parameters" and don't screw with things after that. Additionally the HT does not log or monitor, so you will need to find a method of logging as well.

If you plan on more upgrades/mods in the future, or want to log, or to be able to tune your mods to whatever level you desire, wether for 7/10's daily spirited driver or a 10/10's track monster, you need the AP.

Folks have been very pleased with either, providing that you use it for what it was intended.

1. Get an AP
2. Get a pump (KMD, Autotech, CPE only)
3. get a monitoring device (the bluetooth ones for the smartfones work surprisingly well)

3. ... (the bluetooth ones for the smartfones work surprisingly well)

no. most of them don't have the ability to log enough parameters (PID's) fast enough to be worth anything of real tuning value. I can post logs of a person using TORQUE to log via a BT dongle & it's almost 1 PID per second. Essentially worthless.

Can post sample logs if desired. Can post link to thread where this was discussed but it's on a different forum & I know 24/7 just hates it that there might be intelligent information someplace else.

local here has some other one, refresh rate is 20hz and it picks up all the big PID's including DI Fuel Pressure

Its a lot more important with a GENPU to upgrade the fuel pump for modding. anything that flows more air after youve replaced the intake is going to put you at risk with the stocker. Im personally a fan of Autotechs.

So i should upgrade my HPFP before the all the exhaust. I will check out the autotechs one and see if i get come comparisons

Found my reference material. I've no first hand experience with BT logging, so I present it for what it's worth.
If nothing else, we'll just say "Don't use this BT dongle!"

Quote, link has log files in question, and a pic posted to that thread of the log and an area highlighted I was concerned about being lean, but was determined to be a logging misrepresentation. You can clearly see the repeated entries.

My final piece of advice to you, ... is to get something capable of doing good logs. What pretty much everyone reading this thread doesn't realize is that the PLX Kiwi bluetooth adapter is not capable of fast refreshing PID data (I would know as I currently have one and have contacted the ******* morons over at PLX about it already). Your PID refresh rate with the PIDs selected to log in your first posted log come out to roughly 1 new PID number per second. Any subsequent requests are just copied from the last value until it can refresh (hence the repeating data and the confusion regarding super lean under boost @TiGraySpeed6).

http://www. mazda speed forums .org/forum/f11/over-boosting-100860/index2.html#post1189568
NOTE- reference link has some spaces added in the hopes it will not be blocked.

lean.jpg

ALright one more stupid question. I'm still new to the car modding thing. Just started last year. Me and my friends have been doing my mods so far but should i go to a shop and get the HPFP put in or can we wing that lol

It's a pretty straight forward hour to install, providing the tools & skills are available. It's not something to half-ass stumble through, but it's not particularly complex.

Is there a how-to on 24/7 that we can link him to?

**** using bluetooth for logging, thats what an AP is for.

BT is good for replacing a DH on the genpu's

i wont even log with my DH

lolz- it wasn't that long, long, but not that long. And I agree, AP is best of breed logging, and even better you can address the issues you find in the log. I do like my DH, and it lives on my dash, hate driving without it anymore. But yeah, when I want a log, the AP gets hooked up.

ANyway, back on topic- there are many great write-ups on HPFP install but the ones I'm aware of are on other sites. If nobody posts up about a good one here I will be happy to link to how-to's posted elsewhere.

Yeah post the link that'll be great. Also if i change out the stock HPFP will that trigger my check engine or should that be fine.

Latest posts

Back