FS: Turbocharged '02 Protege5

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumP5

:
'86 RX-7 Base, '79 RX-7 GS
PENDING TO DSTMSP03

That being said, I am looking to pick up an older RX7. I do not particularly want to sell my P5 but I do not need three cars to myself. I figured I would place is for sale here before attemping other means. The car is a 2002 Mazda Protege5 with 71,098 miles on it (VIN: JM1BJ246221567615). As far as I know I am the second owner and I purchased it in June of 2005 with approximately 34,000 miles.​

The Good Stuff:
There is no descernable rust on this car. It spent most of its time in VA where they do not salt the roads in winter. There are currently no CEL's and have no been any since early this year (dead IAT sensor). The paint is still very bright and it was just professionally detailed about a month ago. Oh yeah, the mods...

Engine Management:
  • Split-Second Air/Fuel Controller with Data Logging
  • AEM UEGO Wideband Oxygen Sensor
Engine:
  • Mental Addiction Motorsports Tubular, Equal-Length Exhaust Manifold
  • Mazdaspeed Protg GT2554R Turbocharger with MPi Stage I Upgrade
    • GT2554R Turbocharger with GT28RS compressor wheel
  • Full Corksport ‘Power Series’ Exhaust
    • 2.4” ‘S/J-pipes’ (down-pipe)
    • 2.4” Catless Mid-pipe
    • 2.4” Cat-back
  • Custom Front Mount Intercooler Kit (turbolife)
    • 710 x 235 x 88 mm Intercooler Core
    • ‘Special Edition Black’ HKS Super SQV Blow-off Valve
    • 2.5” Intake with AEM Air Filter
    • Custom blow-through MAS setup
    • 2 Spal 12” Slimline Fans
  • 2002 Mazda 626 Intake Manifold
    • Ported/Polished
    • VTCS Butterflies removed
  • Unorthodox Racing Under drive Pulley
  • ATP 6 psi Wastegate
  • Perrin Manual Boost Controller set at 10 psi
  • NSN Motor Sports Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer
  • AWR 70 durometer Engine Mounts
  • Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
  • Perrin Fuel Rail
  • Corksport 52 mm Aluminum Radiator
  • Magnecor 8.5 mm Spark Plug Wires
Drive Train:
  • Exedy Stage I Clutch
  • Fidanza 7.5 lb Flywheel
  • TWM Short Shifter
  • TWM Shifter Bushings
Suspension:
  • Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
  • Tokico HP Struts
  • CP Racing Front Strut Tower Bar
  • Progress 22 mm Rear Sway Bar
  • 215/40R17 Kumho Ecsta SPT Tires*
  • GT-Spec Full Rear Cage
Engine Dress-up:
  • Red Samco Silicone Vacuum Lines
  • Mazdaspeed Miata Oil Cap
  • JDM Mazdaspeed 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap
  • WeaponR Coolant Overflow Bottle
  • WeaponR Oil Catch Can
  • Black Powder Coated Valve Cover with Polished Lettering
  • Cruise Control Removed
  • Autometer Pro-Comp Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge
Exterior Dress-up:
  • Enkei RPF1 Wheels – 17x7 +45 mm*
  • JDM Mazda Protg5 Taillights
  • Honda S2000 Antenna
  • Mazda6 Rear Wiper Stalk and Blade
  • Blacked out Headlights
  • Shaved Bumper Side Markers
  • Bumper Lower Grill removed
  • 20% Front, 5% Rear Window Tint
  • EDM ‘323F’ Badge
  • 2001 Mazda Protg MP3/2003 Mazdaspeed Protg Front Wind Splitter
  • Black-painted Brake Calipers
  • Upper Grill Trim painted red
  • Catz Yellow 50W ‘Driving’ Fog Lights
Interior Dress-up:
  • Autometer Dual A-Pillar Pod with:
    • AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
    • AEM Oil Temperature Gauge
  • Custom Dual Gauge Surround Pod with:
    • Autometer Ultra-lite Boost Gauge
    • Autometer Ultra-lite Voltmeter Gauge
  • Custom Steering Column Pod with:
    • AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge
  • 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protg Instrument Cluster
  • ‘DaveB’ Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings
  • ‘Shaun Darbie’ Leather Shift Boot
  • 2007 Mazda3 Shift Knob
  • 2001 Mazda Protg MP3 Aluminum Pedals
  • Mazdaspeed Protg Doorsills
  • Interior Trim Panels painted black
  • ‘Medieval’ Aluminum Dead Pedal
  • Sparco Torino II Seats w/ sliders and Wedge Engineering Brackets*
The car dyno'd a maximum of 215 whp and 220 wtq in April of 2008 before the addition of the turbolife FMIC kit, Perrin Fuel Rail, MAM exhaust manifold and slightly tweaked tune. I can provide dyno sheets upon request.

The not-so-good Stuff:
As with any car that is going on 9 years old (built Dec. '01) the paint is not completely perfect. There are several rock chips, pits on the front from daily driving, scuffs and small (very) dings on the doors from parking lots and some scratches on the rear bumper cover from loading things into the hatch. There is also a series of scratched on the rear passenger's side roof from the previous owner. There are also a couple of small burn marks from the previous owner (smoker, apparently) but the smoke smell is long gone. There are also two small marks on the rear bumper from a very small rear-end collision. The marks are from the license plate bolts from the other driver. Confirmed no damage underneath, I've just never had the bumper cover fixed (see below)

The Bad Stuff:
As with any modified car there are a number of issues. The biggest I consider to be the oil consumption. During cooler whether this car can go through about a quart of oil in two weeks but this consumption is reduced greatly in warmer weather. Also, I have made a number of what may be considered "permanent" modifications such as removing cruise control and cutting the radiator support for the FMIC pipes. I also do not have just about any of the stock parts though I do have a lot of spare parts lying around. As mentioned above, there is also one single gouge in the rear bumper cover from loading a mini fridge several years ago. Also, I was in a front-end collision back in June 2007. The front bumper cover, hood, radiator support and headlights were all replaced. All-in-all everything has re-aligned very nicely and I even had some custom work done to the bumper cover. However, I feel this is important information to include.

DSC01080.JPG

DSC01081.JPG

DSC01082.JPG

DSC01083.JPG

DSC01084.JPG

DSC01085.JPG

DSC01086.JPG

DSC01087.JPG

DSC01088.JPG

DSC01089.JPG

DSC01091.JPG

DSC01092.JPG

DSC01094.JPG

Last edited:
That would be a pain in the ass to part out. I think it would be best to just sell it outright. Whoever gets this car is one lucky lucky guy or girl.

Magnum, I'll leave the thread open just because I KNOW you will have the pics up. Good luck with the sale.

I'm not willing to "part out" because I don't have the parts/time/money/heart to have a non-working P5 sitting in my garage because I've sold off various parts. I'd still have to go about finding parts to get it to run to sell in the end! As I mentioned above I'm willing to sell parts if those interested can come up with a replacement plus cash and are willing to be patient. I don't think that is unreasonable, no? Again, I am willing to negotiate price to an extent as well.

I'm not willing to "part out" because I don't have the parts/time/money/heart to have a non-working P5 sitting in my garage because I've sold off various parts. I'd still have to go about finding parts to get it to run to sell in the end! As I mentioned above I'm willing to sell parts if those interested can come up with a replacement plus cash and are willing to be patient. I don't think that is unreasonable, no? Again, I am willing to negotiate price to an extent as well.

well yeah. that's what i'm saying.. like.. i'm interested in a couple of things.. and depending on price(i'm poor) i would do trades plus cash..

again, it all depends on the price..

Mental Addiction Motorsports Tubular, Equal-Length Exhaust Manifold
# Corksport 52 mm Aluminum Radiator
# TWM Short Shifter
# TWM Shifter Bushings

also, i forgot to mention.. the motor.. i'd be interested in the spare motor/trans...

Last edited:
1. Mental Addiction Motorsports Tubular, Equal-Length Exhaust Manifold
2. Corksport 52 mm Aluminum Radiator
3. TWM Short Shifter
4. TWM Shifter Bushings
1. I definitely need a replacement here. I would do stock MSP manifold + $500
2. Fortunately I still have the stock P5 radiator in my garage. I could do $150 for the radiator.
3. Need a replacement here as well. The only issue here is you have a MSP I believe, which has a different shifter and I don't know how well that would go into the P5. Either way, stock + $50 should work.
4. This I may still have stock but I'd have to check. I don't remember how much these were new because I got them as a set. $25?

Bear in mind I cannot actually complete any transactions until I have proper signage. I do not believe that restricts people from posting interest and me answering questions, right?

1. I definitely need a replacement here. I would do stock MSP manifold + $500
2. Fortunately I still have the stock P5 radiator in my garage. I could do $150 for the radiator.
3. Need a replacement here as well. The only issue here is you have a MSP I believe, which has a different shifter and I don't know how well that would go into the P5. Either way, stock + $50 should work.
4. This I may still have stock but I'd have to check. I don't remember how much these were new because I got them as a set. $25?

Bear in mind I cannot actually complete any transactions until I have proper signage. I do not believe that restricts people from posting interest and me answering questions, right?

correct. i am sure we can talk about it.

rad- good price.. i'll look into that. shifter and bushings. same thing. mani- i would have a stock replacement. so i'll look into that also..

dibs?

well yeah. that's what i'm saying.. like.. i'm interested in a couple of things.. and depending on price(i'm poor) i would do trades plus cash..

again, it all depends on the price..

Mental Addiction Motorsports Tubular, Equal-Length Exhaust Manifold
# Corksport 52 mm Aluminum Radiator
# TWM Short Shifter
# TWM Shifter Bushings

also, i forgot to mention.. the motor.. i'd be interested in the spare motor/trans...

why? so you can sell it in a year? haha just playing damion

Can't really call dibs on a sale that doesn't currently exist, don't you think? Either way, I don't really want to honor dibs because someone could be interested in buying the car as-is and I do not want to do anything that may potentially destroy that deal.

i will be weird seeing someone else with this car, but good luck!
Yeah, I'll probably cry if I sell it locally and see it around town. I'd like to think I would stay in touch with the buyer and help him out with things. After all, we are one big, happy, Mazda family, right?
you still may want to just throw up one pic with your car and sign, they might lock you till you do!
Can't right now - at work. I'll have a bunch of pics tonight/tomorrow. They can lock the thread if they want, I understand the rules, but I will have pictures.

If you do go the "part out" route, I'll probably take the turbo kit from you. I live in NEOhio so we could swap out my parts for yours some weekend. Just keep it in mind.

Good luck with the sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back