Flav's Mazda Protege5

Well, I installed the new PCV valve ($8 at a local store)
Went hard on the car, I did still smell something.. but wasn't sure if it was burning oil... and if it was... It was hardly noticeable.
Not saying this worked, or hasn't worked for me just yet.

Well, I installed the new PCV valve ($8 at a local store)
Went hard on the car, I did still smell something.. but wasn't sure if it was burning oil... and if it was... It was hardly noticeable.
Not saying this worked, or hasn't worked for me just yet.

Perhaps you're leaking a little oil? Take a good look around the oil pan gasket, I know mine has a continuous slow leak ;)

Perhaps you're leaking a little oil? Take a good look around the oil pan gasket, I know mine has a continuous slow leak ;)

I'll double check tomorrow. I'm pretty doubtful on that one though seeing as the pan/gasket is only 1 oil change ago old. And I did just do an oil change as of 2-3 weeks ago. Didn't see anything unusual though :\

Ps. nice of you to chime in again hah :D

Here are the updated pics of the car after its body work, and much needed wash :)
d8HNrzp.jpg

Looks great! I'de like to know where you brought it.

@Lowlevel
I took it to a local body shop here in London, Ontario called "Ricks Garage" I won't lie to you..they don't do an absolute AMAZING job. But for what I paid.. I got a hell of a deal. My only complaint is that those 2 rears.. the area that they repaired isn't 100% flush with the existing plastic bumper. If you look down at it, you can see the plastic bumper sticks out a few mm's past the area they cut/welded. Minor thing IMO.

Update as per the PCV valve from the 2001 Millenia S. It really does work wonders.. I don't know how or why.. but my burning oil smell as disappeared completely today. I think when I first initially installed it and ran the car hard.. it still had some very minor oil residue left in the line. But today I took the car out to a nice curvy downhill area and out to the country and I didn't smell a thing. :)

Now I will play the waiting game on my SS brake/clutch lines from CR3 :)

Update as per the PCV valve from the 2001 Millenia S. It really does work wonders.. I don't know how or why.. but my burning oil smell as disappeared completely today. I think when I first initially installed it and ran the car hard.. it still had some very minor oil residue left in the line. But today I took the car out to a nice curvy downhill area and out to the country and I didn't smell a thing. :)

Now I will play the waiting game on my SS brake/clutch lines from CR3 :)

see, best mods you can do to these cars is always the cheap OE ones.. glad your problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks JT + Brian. It was getting embarrassing having my car smell like a P.O.S if it went past 4K rpm's.

@Lowlevel
I took it to a local body shop here in London, Ontario called "Ricks Garage" I won't lie to you..they don't do an absolute AMAZING job.

I don't think anyone cares that much to do absolute amazing work... but I guess I should find somewhere closer anyway... anyone know a good place in or around Milton for this type of work?

Little embarrassing to admit. My last oil change.. I didn't realize that the washer from the plug nut fell into my oil pan.. Only when I already put the plug in and filled the car with oil did I notice that. But I believe my exact thought was "meh.. I'm sure I'll be fine" Needless to say.. When I had the car jacked up today.. I noticed I had a very slow leak coming from the plug...So.. I drained out my 1000km old oil and put in new oil...properly. Livin' and learning!
Hoping to finish the overhaul on my head lights tomorrow :) Pics to follow!

Little embarrassing to admit. My last oil change.. I didn't realize that the washer from the plug nut fell into my oil pan.. Only when I already put the plug in and filled the car with oil did I notice that. But I believe my exact thought was "meh.. I'm sure I'll be fine" Needless to say.. When I had the car jacked up today.. I noticed I had a very slow leak coming from the plug...So.. I drained out my 1000km old oil and put in new oil...properly. Livin' and learning!
Hoping to finish the overhaul on my head lights tomorrow :) Pics to follow!

Bah, it's an old Mazda, it's supposed to leak a little oil ;)

I usually replace the crush washer every time I change the oil; the Mazda dealer I go to has a giant box of them at the service counter so I help myself to 5-10 of them every time I'm there.

Bah, it's an old Mazda, it's supposed to leak a little oil ;)

I usually replace the crush washer every time I change the oil; the Mazda dealer I go to has a giant box of them at the service counter so I help myself to 5-10 of them every time I'm there.

haha, noted!

I drained out my 1000km old oil and put in new oil...properly. Livin' and learning!

I did the same thing. For me, I waited to do an oil change. For you, you could've waited 'till the car was cold and taken the nut out, stuck your finger in the hole, and put the washer in and replaced it pretty easily. I thought of doing the same thing as that happened to me but I just filled it up every so often. Wasteful, sure, but like you said, live and learn!

That sounds like it would make a huge mess. There's nothing wrong with draining the oil, installing the drain plug with a new washer, and then pouring the old oil back in...

That sounds like it would make a huge mess. There's nothing wrong with draining the oil, installing the drain plug with a new washer, and then pouring the old oil back in...

I thought of doing that as well.. I'm still not sure why I didn't do that. #YOLO right?

Anyways.. I just finished doing THIS to the car :)

sfye2Rq.jpg

For those who don't see what's different.

Got my stainless steel brake/clutch lines in today from CR3. Items came quickly and packaged neatly (good prices too) Looking to install that tomorrow if my friend is available and has space for me in his garage (started snowing here today :( )
As for the headlights with the new tint. Output of course has dropped a bit.. but it's only effected it slightly, I still find that it works fine and is still much better than OEM halogens.

^Start spraying all of the old fittings with PB Blaster pronto! You shouldn't have any issue removing the banjo bolts from the calipers (don't lose the copper crush washers!), but it'll probably be a bit of a pain to remove the old rubber hoses from the solid lines. Hope you have a good set of flare-nut wrenches!

^Start spraying all of the old fittings with PB Blaster pronto! You shouldn't have any issue removing the banjo bolts from the calipers (don't lose the copper crush washers!), but it'll probably be a bit of a pain to remove the old rubber hoses from the solid lines. Hope you have a good set of flare-nut wrenches!

Thanks for the tips Cheese. I know I don't have a set of flare nut wrenches, Hopefully my buddy does. If not I'll pick some up tomorrow. I know I've asked it before and it was answered (somewhere) But when I put in some new brake fluid I just need to pump the brakes while the car is off correct? And I should start from the caliper furthest away from the brake reservoir, right?

Back