Dave Coleman answers questions about Mazda i-Activ AWD

One of these days I'll remember to take my dash cam to the mountain and video my driveway. Not as extreme, but a good test of the AWD. The OEM Touring tires go up it better than Michelin Premier LTX TITES.

One of these days I'll remember to take my dash cam to the mountain and video my driveway. Not as extreme, but a good test of the AWD. The OEM Touring tires go up it better than Michelin Premier LTX TITES.
I'll do it too....if we ever get any snow. Go go Global Warming.

Ive used:

Crosscontact lx20
Nokian wrg3 suv
Altimax rt43

Windshield wipers make zero difference in my experience.

27* incline is 27*. Is what it is.

Same. High throttle makes all the difference since you need power to transfer power..

Drove mine through 4 inches of snow today. No problems whatsoever. Never got stuck. Went up steep road inclines with no problems. Other vehicles were getting stuck but the CX5 performed without issue.

Does anyone know how it works? It sounds like:
Traction control on, one front wheel gets power, one rear wheel gets power and brakes are not applied.
Traction control off, one front wheel gets power, one rear wheel gets power and brakes are applied to any spinning wheel so the wheel with grip gets the power.
This makes no sense though.

I love Dave Coleman and the engineering focused driver-centric openness he represents from Mazda. His videos are a big reason that I'm now a huge Mazda fan.

I love Dave Coleman and the engineering focused driver-centric openness he represents from Mazda. His videos are a big reason that I'm now a huge Mazda fan.

Yeah, I still feel there is a good amount of BS in what he says but I like the way he says it. I do think if you listen to him carefully, he is honest.

Back