Change in sound from BPV

Mid_Life_Crisis

Contributor
:
2007 MS3
For no reason that I can think of, my BPV has sudddenly gotten loud. I have not changed anything and the car seems to be running exactly the same. I have a prototype of the Forge second generation valve. It used to make a soft, kind of "chuffing" sound when I let off the gas, and now it barks.
Any thoughts as to what I should look at first?

I realize that you said the car runs exactly the same but is it still making and holding proper boost levels? AFR's are still the same?

I realize that you said the car runs exactly the same but is it still making and holding proper boost levels? AFR's are still the same?

a BOV/BPV has nothing to do with boost levels or AFR.

Remove the BPV, unsrew the housing and make sure there is no gunk in it.

Do you have a new MS3 with a scoop?

I'd also make sure your return line isn't twisited (if you have one)

Last edited:
Do you know what a BOV/BPV does?

If it was leaking he would have boost cut, that is very distinct.

The smallest leak will cause boost cut

Last edited:

Actually it does. That is metered air. If you lose it, the ECU is still injecting the same amount of fuel. You end up with a rich mixture, not lean, fortunately, so you foul plugs instead of burning pistons, melting valves or bending rods.

Yeah I do. What I don't know is why you are being a cock.

If the BPV is leaking, it would be diverting boost back to the inlet of the turbo. If it leaks bad enough, it could possibly be lowering his boost level. I don't suspect this is the issue, however if it were binding (which could explain the valve sounding differently) there is a possibility of it not sealing.

Stop being a dick.

I have no way to monitor AFRs. The car feels like normal, no complaints. Still lights them up going through the gears up an onramp. The only difference is all of a sudden I am acutely aware of the valve operating. I'm just concerned that this is an indication of something else pending that I need to nip in the bud before I have real problems.

Actually it does. That is metered air. If you lose it, the ECU is still injecting the same amount of fuel. You end up with a rich mixture, not lean, fortunately, so you foul plugs instead of burning pistons, melting valves or bending rods.

I'm thinking in terms of leaking to the atmosphere here, obviously. If you mean leaking in terms of from the I/C back to the inlet tube, then no, it would not.

Most likely just needs serviced. I don't run the valve but I am aware that Forge makes rebuild kits.

Good luck :)

just an fyi, when my stock bpv was leaking it caused all kinds of knock at tip in. seems the motor was expecting air that, while in the system, wasnt where it should have been, and that caused kr issues.....

how long have you been running it? maybe its time to regrease it

Bu11dogg2 said:
Remove the BPV, unsrew the housing and make sure there is no gunk in it.
this

no, you will have boost cut

Yeah I do. What I don't know is why you are being a cock.

If the BPV is leaking, it would be diverting boost back to the inlet of the turbo. If it leaks bad enough, it could possibly be lowering his boost level. I don't suspect this is the issue, however if it were binding (which could explain the valve sounding differently) there is a possibility of it not sealing.

Stop being a dick.

I'm not being a dick, i'm trying to keep this guy from freaking out.

His car's not stalling, not sputtering which means the BPV is working as designed.

It's making a "noise" which means it needs to be cleaned

Back