Car and Driver 10 Best 2020

I once had a coworker who had owned a Mercedes SLK for many years, it was in and out of the dealership, dozens of times for non-warranty work, so she decided it was time to move on to a more reliable small SUV.
I asked her "How important is STATUS when selecting a vehicle?" She replied "not at all important" so I recommended a CX5.
Two weeks later she announced that she bought a used 2010 Mercedes GLC.
Sometimes, despite what people admit, STATUS is more important than anything.

Car & Driver often compared the 2019 CX5 to Audi, Mercedes, and BMW. They ask "Why spend $10,000 more for the same level of interior, quietness, and handling, but with far less reliability? The answer is simple: STATUS rules minds.

I agree with you on this...status still matter to some folks. I have experienced owning a prem/luxe vehicle in the past and what I can tell you is that after some time the novelty, prestige and status “wears out” and the vehicle just becomes, well just another vehicle! Then it really starts to sink in when the expensive bills on maintenance and repairs start to pile up then your outlook changes. That’s when I became more practical and eventually traded in my “prestige” vehicle for a mainstream brand. You still get the bells & whistles and nice interior/exterior just paid $12K lower vs going premium again with a much lower cost of ownership and maintenance...

I'm in agreement with Tekbis. (first post warning, btw)
I've owned several BMW's, both 2 and 4 wheeled. Now have owned a few Mazda's and currently own a 6 with the turbo engine.
The badge thing is nice, but there is an increased cost IMHO. Repairs/parts often cost more, maintenance stuff like tires, etc. One can get a little tired of this. I have several friends that won't own a later model German car out of warranty.
Mazda has really stepped up their game. The interior details, paint, and handing are all really really nice. Fit and finish in some of the leather interiors is close to the lower cost BMW's IMO. Adding the turbo to the 6 was a great move, and now the CX-5. Now there is performance to go with the handling.
I'm shopping, trying to decide CX-5 or CX-9, and which version. I've not eliminated the X3, but sure leaning toward the Mazda.
:giggle:

My first post. I bought a GTR last week, I also own a 2018 CRV EX so I'm in a good position to compare both. Both are great vehicles for different reasons. The CRV is fairly quick, handles pretty well, very comfortable, has a few less amenities, but has active grid lines for the rear view camera, remote start, better lane keeping assist and blind spot monitoring systems. Also roomier, has more storage and leg room in the back seat. The stock audio system is horrendous so I replaced the stock speakers with Focals which was very effective in cleaning up the muddy sound. If I needed a family car, the CRV EX would be my first choice. My 2010 Subaru Outback had 200k miles on it and the front axle had just broken, brought the car to my mechanic of 25 years and asked him to inspect the car and give me his honest opinion to fix it or get rid of it. The car needed a lot of work and the recommendation was to get rid of it.

I first drove the CX 5 Touring and I liked it, but it wasn't much different than the CRV or the Outback, a little smaller, a little less room, a more upscale interior and it handled better but was slower than the CRV though quicker than the Subaru. Since I already had a family car, I wanted/needed something really fun to drive like my 05 E46 330i was. (I traded that in for the CRV and really missed that car, but the repair bills were killing me) I also wanted a decent stock audio system. One test drive and I was hooked. The Grand Touring Reserve is so much fun to drive, fast, quiet, smooth and a very upscale interior. It's closer to an RDX or NX300 than a CRV or RAV. Is it as good as my E46, no its not, but it comes a lot closer than the CRV does.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. You'll enjoy it here.

I almost bought a 2018 GT and ended up deferring my purchase into 2019. By then, the turbo CX-5s came out. As you said, "One test drive and I was hooked." If I were a Mazda salesman, I'd try to get as many people who could afford the increased price behind the wheel of the turbo "just to try it." Sales would skyrocket.

I've read reviews stating that the CX-5 is almost a sports car with a CUV body. I've had mine since March 2019 and really love it.

So what is there about the CRV's blind spot monitoring you like better? This is the first car I've had with one, and the only observation I've got is that it does not seem to be consistent in setting the warning distance relative to speed.

Oh, and what part of the country are you in? I'm in Central Virginia after nearly 5 decades of living outside of Washington DC. This area is so rural and there's so little traffic that I actually enjoy driving again.

The blind spot monitoring on the CX5 seems to go off unnecessarily and sooner then on the CRV, but I do like the fact that the notification appears on the HUD. I'm in NJ, we have a lot of twisty back roads that seem to be made for the CX5.

Cool. My sister briefly lived in Edison decades ago and has since been near the Delaware Water Gap. Just like most east coast states, there's lots of nice country once you get away from the cities...it just that the country parts are shrinking.

Enjoy that car!

The blind spot monitoring on the CX5 seems to go off unnecessarily and sooner then on the CRV, but I do like the fact that the notification appears on the HUD. I'm in NJ, we have a lot of twisty back roads that seem to be made for the CX5.

Funny you mention this. I was questioned a month or so ago on this forum when I mentioned the CRV had a better overall safety system then the CX-5. I agree the blind spot monitoring is not accurate in the CX-5. Also the emergency braking is way too sensitive. I know it is adjustable as far as how sensitive you want it, but in the CRV there is no way to adjust it, it just works.

BTW, your initial post summed up exactly why the CX-5 sells so poorly compared to the competition. You like it and bought it because it's fun, where as most shoppers in this category are primarily interested in practicality. CX-5 interior is small, gets below average gas mileage, and doesn't have reputation for reliability like Toyota or Honda do.

[QUOTE="Paulson, post: 6673106, member: 158323"

BTW, your initial post summed up exactly why the CX-5 sells so poorly compared to the competition. You like it and bought it because it's fun, where as most shoppers in this category are primarily interested in practicality. CX-5 interior is small, gets below average gas mileage, and doesn't have reputation for reliability like Toyota or Honda do.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, the CX5 is my secondary vehicle, not the primary. The CRV is the more practical choice and the CX5 is the more passionate one. As far as reliability, I am concerned about the oil dilution issue in the CRV which I have not experienced but thousands of others have. I haven't heard about anything similar on the CX5. Also my son's 2010 Mazda 3 is still going strong with 150k miles on it and he does a lousy job maintaining it. So hoping the reliability of the CX5 isn't an issue. My plan is to keep both vehicles for ten years or 200k, whichever comes first.

Yep, the CX5 is my secondary vehicle, not the primary. The CRV is the more practical choice and the CX5 is the more passionate one. As far as reliability, I am concerned about the oil dilution issue in the CRV which I have not experienced but thousands of others have. I haven't heard about anything similar on the CX5. Also my son's 2010 Mazda 3 is still going strong with 150k miles on it and he does a lousy job maintaining it. So hoping the reliability of the CX5 isn't an issue. My plan is to keep both vehicles for ten years or 200k, whichever comes first.

If you're gonna keep you car for 10 years you better like it AFTER the warranty period expires.

That's the first negative infotainment review I've seen for a non-Mazda.

Really? I read all kinds of bad reviews on many brands systems all the time. In fact, just yesterday while watching a Motorweek reveiew on the new Lexus ES350, they mentioned the screen was nice but it still had the "fussy Lexus touch pad" in the center console. I hated the current RDX's system when I had a 2019 loaner for a week. I actually find the Mazda's more intuitive to operate than many.

The CRV infotainment goes haywire quite often and requires a reboot. Boot up is substantially quicker then the CX5 though. There is only one volume knob so the CRV screen remains touch accessible when moving. Its also only 7 inches. Both the Honda and Mazda infotainment systems pretty much suck but for different reasons. Heard the RDX and the NX300 are also pretty crappy. On the flip side, the new Sabaru Outback touchscreen controls everything, but you have to dig in to the menus to turn on stuff like heated seats for example. Not user friendly. I actually think eliminating switches and buttons and placing everything on a larger touchscreen is ultimately cheaper.

I agree with you on this...status still matter to some folks

My dad was in the market for a new SUV at the start of 2018. He just came off a 08 Murano Platinum (premium-like, aged well, better than most premium products at the time). He wanted his first real premium car and decided to get a 2015 X5 off of his friend. I begged him not to because of how expensive it would be to maintain down the road. I told him to get a gently used CX9 signature. He got the X5 - was super happy about owning a BMW but of course the novelty wore off. It was no longer special anymore when in Toronto you see a dozen X5's every time you take your own car out.

He drives it very conservatively now because he's scared of anything going wrong with it. I tell him all the time that he should've listened to me.

I actually think eliminating switches and buttons and placing everything on a larger touchscreen is ultimately cheaper.

It likely is, but kinda goes against all this nanny-state hyper-safety stuff when I gotta take my eyes off the road to do things I used to do by reaching to the exact spot I knew the button was without looking.

It's a huge safety-step backwards.

[/QUOTE]

Tell me more - I am shopping for a new SUV.

Why is a CRV is the more practical choice ?

[/QUOTE]

Tell me more - I am shopping for a new SUV.

[/QUOTE]

The CRV is roomier, has plenty of power, handles well, has all the safety features and is cheaper. I paid 26k for a new ex two years ago. The step up EXL gets you leather, power rear door and a few other things. The non turbo CX5 is smaller, less legroom in the backseat, less cargo room and is slower. The positives are its better looking, handles better and has a more upscale look and feel. Move to the turbo and now your in a whole new category of performance. Since I already had the CRV and was craving performance the GTR checked all the right boxes for me. I paid substantially more for it though.

The non turbo CX5 is smaller, less legroom in the backseat, less cargo room and is slower.

I noticed those things as well when I was shopping, but realized that the room in the CX-5 was sufficient. Sure, the CX-5 has less cargo room, but it's got as much as I need. I had a time getting past the "more is better," or the "just in case" position I was stuck on merely from reading brochures and not thinking about what my true needs were.

Those with a family might have different needs.

Nothing's perfect, but the CX does a great job at its price point. My #1 annoyance with the car is the touchscreen lockout. So stupid, so unnecessary, and so many other cars let you use the touchscreen. They put a great, reasonably responsive touchscreen in the car (that you also paid for) and then don't let you use it when you're driving. Hasn't changed with the 2020s. It actually works quite well with Carplay... at a stop. There's a Carplay button on your homescreen that you can't touch.

The RAV and CR-V are too boring and lack the interior refinement of the CX-5, so those were out for me. Mazda incorporated a lot of clever designs into the CX-5 such as double door seals and laminated front glass. I also considered the Lexus NX and RX, but they are too expensive for what they are. With Mazda's improvement in quality rankings, I chose the CX, and have enjoyed it over the last 4 months.

CRV, as mentioned, is more roomier. Better safety, probably better infotainment system though I've never used it personally (but Mazda's is known to be poor with the exception of the new gen system on the Mazda 3), and overall better features for the money (wireless charging, stuff like that).

The CRV oil dilution has been resolved I THINK! There was some fixes that came in last year that took care of the issue but I could be wrong.

If you value a better driving car, then Mazda is the way to go. On paper it seems like the worse choice, but once you sit and drive the car, you realize how nice the CX5 actually is, especially on the interior. Majority of crossover shoppers value the comfort/practicality instead, so Rav4 and CRV gets the boost in sales. That being said, i think I read somewhere that the CX5 is more popular in Canada than in the USA (i am Canadian).

CRV, as mentioned, is more roomier. Better safety, probably better infotainment system though I've never used it personally (but Mazda's is known to be poor with the exception of the new gen system on the Mazda 3), and overall better features for the money (wireless charging, stuff like that).

The CRV oil dilution has been resolved I THINK! There was some fixes that came in last year that took care of the issue but I could be wrong.

If you value a better driving car, then Mazda is the way to go. On paper it seems like the worse choice, but once you sit and drive the car, you realize how nice the CX5 actually is, especially on the interior. Majority of crossover shoppers value the comfort/practicality instead, so Rav4 and CRV gets the boost in sales. That being said, i think I read somewhere that the CX5 is more popular in Canada than in the USA (i am Canadian).

We WANT to buy a new CRV....but just don't trust the whole Oil dilution thing which just won't go away. I heard reports the fix escalated to other issues (cabin heating), reports the fix still resulting in OD, reports that the TSB fix is not done by dealers in warm weather states, ect, ect, ect. We will see.

Back