Boot Strut need to be replace

philzzz

:
Mazda CX-5 GS AWD 2014
First off, my Cx-5 has 12 500 km and need both front boot strut need to be replace...i dont think that normal and its obviously a weakness. Car was normaly use, no off road...

Dealer accept to replace both boot strut free because its covered by mazda warranty. But the dealer want me to pay 80$ for wheels alignment. Honestly I dont think i should pay for that since its part of the repair process covered by warranty. Alignment is only needed because their boot strut is junk and need to be replace, not because my car need alignment.

What do you guys think?
-Should the wheels alignment be include in the repair process covered by warranty ?
-Or should it be my responsability to pay for alignment after boot strut repair?

ty

Its a known issue (the struts) My dealer will also replace them under warranty, but is waiting because supposedly mazda knows about this and is working on a better replacement part. They assured me that they will proceed to an alignment after this and I will not need to pay.

Anyway, apparently (according to mazda Canada anyway) everything on all mazda products within 1 year and 20k km is covered by warranty... that goes for anything (even wiper blades, alignement, any adjustement, rattle)... unless they can prove its due to the clients negligence, can be replaced or adjusted free of charge.

On my previous car, my service guy was really cool about this and informed me that if I complain that my alignment was bad before 20k kms and 1 year, they would do one for free, even got me some new wiper blades for free because i said they didnt wipe properly (witch was true).

So NO, you should not have to pay for this

You should not have to pay for the alignment because it is part of the repair/replacement process of the strut dust cover.

The only way to replace the dust cover is to remove the struts from the front suspension. When re-installing the struts, an alignment is required for proper and complete installation. This dealer is tricking you and is just trying to gain an extra $80. Corporate Mazda is already paying the dealer for the full repair/replacement of the dust covers, which should include the cost of the alignment.

When I mentioned this issue to my dealer, they did nothing. Told me that the struts are not leaking and the torn boots are not needed to be changed. Am I getting duped?

Yes. You are getting duped.

Mazda's warranty should cover anything that is broken with the car that was not from something that you did. As long as you did not purposely cut or rip up the boots, it is a broken car part that should be fixed by Mazda.

Broken or torn strut dust covers can allow for accelerated wear on the strut by allowing more foreign contaminants than normal come into contact with the polished surface of the strut. The debris can then get into the seals of the strut and cause them to leak and fail. However, this isn't something that happens quickly and takes a long time, but since the car is under warranty, you might as well get new ones to keep them protected.

You either need to talk to someone else at the dealer, or go to a different one.

Last edited:
Just had mine replaced today, waited a week and a half for them to show up at the dealer. No mention of an alignment on the invoice.

Does the car still drive straight? Even if it does, keep an eye out for abnormal wear from a bad alignment.

Maybe you can call the dealer back and ask if an alignment was done.

Does the car still drive straight? Even if it does, keep an eye out for abnormal wear from a bad alignment.

Maybe you can call the dealer back and ask if an alignment was done.

Doesn't feel the same...I'll have to call Monday. It wants to go to the right when I have the steering wheel centered, didn't do that before.

Doesn't feel the same...I'll have to call Monday. It wants to go to the right when I have the steering wheel centered, didn't do that before.

Then you need an alignment. They didn't perform one on the car after they re-installed the struts. This is exactly why alignments need to be performed after re-installing struts. Alignment settings are thrown out the window when the struts are removed in a macpherson suspension setup. You shouldn't be charged for the alignment either.

Then you need an alignment. They didn't perform one on the car after they re-installed the struts. This is exactly why alignments need to be performed after re-installing struts. Alignment settings are thrown out the window when the struts are removed in a macpherson suspension setup. You shouldn't be charged for the alignment either.
They adjusted the toe, which is the only thing adjustable. Said the strut doesn't have to come out completely to change the boot. He said to give it a few days for the bushings to seat.
Never said that to anyone when I did alignments.....

Just a quick update for everyone having this problem

I went to dealer today, after telling me 2 weeks ago that i would have to pay for alignment, i just told them that i did my homework and that i wouldnt pay for alignment. He just say '' ok sure the car is under warranty'' . He didnt even argue or anything.

That just prove how the first time he tryed to scam me. I guess that why nobody trust car dealer...they are pure...

Back