baby over protege5

We have an evenflo discovery carseat. The fire department installed the seat b/c I think they are certified to do this. The fire departments in Birmingham have a special program for this situation. He put it in the middle and mentioned the safety straps that come with the car. He acted like the middle is still safer. I know one thing, if we do get into an accident his seat won't move! It is wedged between the back seat and the back of the front seat.

We will test drive a MPV tomorrow.

Oh yeah, my son is two weeks old. I'll post a pic of the carseat in the car tomorrow.

Last edited:
First off, congratulations on the birth of your son!! It's such an awesome experience (for the dad anyways). It's hard to explain how much life changes in that one moment.

I can't think of any reviews I've read where the Venture scored very well. Even the Kia van might be a better buy. One thing to consider, some vans are sold with child seats built in. Our Grand Caravan has two child seats built into the front bench seat. When I saw that feature, I wanted the van. They're not infant seats, but when your kid gets a little older, say two years old you can move him into these seats. They work great. When he outgrows them, you just flip up the bottom of the seat and the straps and it's a regular bench seat.

Yes the P5 is a great performer and can take corners really well, but that's not an emergency manuever. When you get out on the freeway and you have to dodge a flying piece of tire or something, you'll crap your pants trying to do this in a minivan. Also, the P5 scored well in crash tests. My wife would not let me buy it if it had not. We have two girls and safety is big for us too.

I have to say, and please don't take offense, that I find it hilarious that we have to have fire departments certified to install a car seat. Trust me, by the time you get to your second or third child, you'll think it's funny too. As long as you can get the kid in the car seat, that's the biggest safety feature right there. I saw on the news one time about a guy who had his infant in the car seat, and sat the seat on top of the roof of the car while he was doing something. He forgot that the child was up there, he got in his car and drove off. Well naturally at one point the seat came off the car onto the road and skidded along upside down. Guess what? The kid was fine. The parent was an idiot, but the kid was fine.

If you do end up getting a van, I think the MPV is the best performer of the group though not the most spacious. The new stow and go seat option on some of the new vans is pretty cool too. The Windstar and Grand Caravan have them as options. The Toyota may have it also but you would have to check. I love having a minivan. When I take out all the seats, I can fit things like a full size couch or full 8' sheets of plywood and still close the hatch. It's so handy, I can't imagine not having one. Sir Nuke mentioned that he saw an ad where they put a Harley inside a Grand Caravan and used the floor latches as tie downs. Try doing that in a P5!

Good luck and happy shopping. I love car shopping. It's like pulling teeth to my wife, but I love getting out and looking.

Last edited:
davco said:
We have an evenflo discovery carseat. The fire department installed the seat b/c I think they are certified to do this. The fire departments in Birmingham have a special program for this situation. He put it in the middle and mentioned the safety straps that come with the car. He acted like the middle is still safer. I know one thing, if we do get into an accident his seat won't move! It is wedged between the back seat and the back of the front seat.

We will test drive a MPV tomorrow.

Oh yeah, my son is two weeks old. I'll post a pic of the carseat in the car tomorrow.
I'm not doubting the middle is the safest place - as far as the body being crushed inward. I'm just cautious because of the note in the driver's manual about the distance between the two LATCH connectors. Check page 2-33 of your manual for more info. And then check your carseat manual to make sure it will work in the center position.

Best of luck with the test drive today! Also look at Honda Odyssey's - they're the best rated minivan, but like any Honda you'll pay out the ass for it!

Well we checked out the MPV yesterday and that will be the van to get. They have a Odessey and it is awesome but the thing has 15000 more miles and is 6k more expensive....this for power doors and NAV.

We looked at a 2000 model w/ 62000 miles on it. It looks good and clean and is priced at 10900. The guy is already talking about dropping the price of the van b/c of end of month. No warranty, but we could purchase one if we wanted.

We'll try to get him to get a 2002 model out there and see if he can drop the price on it for us.

Here is my wants: Nice van, low miles, payments within $25 of my current payment for the p5 ($248). I will try to play the "this is my second mazda from here" card to drop the price a couple of thousand. And we will trade the p5 in and get around 9k I think. Opinions?

Sounds like you are on the right track. Since the miles will not be covered under a factory warranty, I would recommend the optional warranty. Has helped me in the past, with my GMC Sonoma. I bought it used, and got the GM certified warranty, but bought insurance for an additional 20K miles or so. Sure enough, right after the GMC warranty expired, the rear end busted off. The extended warranty covered it.

Shop around on www.carsdirect.com or even ebay, and compare prices to what is offered. Of course, www.kbb.com will tell you what the van is really worth. It is always good to have other cars to show the dealer that you can buy elsewhere.

Glad you are staying in the Mazda family!

Call around and get pre-approved for a loan from another company. Don't rely on the salesman & finance department to get you the best loan rate. If you have good credit, then you should be able to secure a used car loan for around 5%. Alot of times, if you get the price of the vehicle where you want it, the dealer's finance department will start with the highest loan percentage possible and will tell you that's what they can get (Mazda credit is making up the lost profit). We got raped by the Dodge dealer when we bought our van, because I didn't do the necessary research first. If you walk in pre-approved for 5% elsewhere, then you'll be able to get at least that percentage and generally better from the dealer. We have our car insurance through USAA and I got 3.9% in June for my P5 from the dealer because I had been pre-approved for that rate from USAA credit. Remember the financing and down payment should not influence the price of the vehicle. With the information available online it's more difficult for the dealers to take advantage of you if you do your homework first. Good luck man, keep us posted.

Last edited:
I got pre-approved through lendingtree.com first, and made Mazda beat it. They did. That also helped in the whole scheme of the deal. Traded in the piece of crap GMC Sonoma for 2 Mazdas back on 02, and never looked back.

Yes, the Venture is indeed crap. Look at vans from Toyota, or the Honda Oddesy or that new Mazda one. Any of those compared to that Venture make that Chevy look like a joke.

Edit: No offence to your wife, but 90% of women just suck at all things car related. Women are one of the main reasons car makers can get away with selling crap. IE: Pontiac Grand Am

Last edited:
Well, we went to the Mazda dealership to talk about buying a 2002 MPV w/ 24000 miles on it. Unfortunately we couldn't get it b/c the general manager had family wanting to buy it and we all know that overrules a "normal" customer's desire to buy.

So then we started talking about a 2000 MPV priced at 10500 w/ 62k. The guy told me that he could hook me up w/ an awesome deal b/c it was the end of a slow month. I told him I wanted payments under $250 and I wanted a warrenty included. He comes back w/ payments at $275 and a 30 day warranty. In my mind I'm thinking woop-dee-doo. He says that I have to expect to pay $20 per month for every $1000 financed. I say "how did you get these numbers." He says, "I don't know." I say, "find out....and I want 100k warranty." He goes to the back, comes back to the front and says a family just bought the van. Suck.

I figured out later that if the $20 rule is true.....he was financing me for 12000. I wouldn't have gotten the van unless the price dropped to around 8500 or so. Also I wouldn't have gotten it w/o an apr under 5%. Thanks for the lending tree idea, RaiderMP5.

davco said:
I told him I wanted payments under $250 and I wanted a warrenty included. He comes back w/ payments at $275 and a 30 day warranty.

Classic! They never get the payment where you want it at first. Check with your bank and if you have a mortgage, check to see if that company will finance an auto loan. These places are used to competing to get your business, whereas a dealer's finance department figures if you've come that far, then you're in hook, line and sinker for whatever they give you.

davco said:
We bought our protege5 a year ago w/ the intentions of having a family car that doesn't look so bland. Well now we have a baby and the car seat doesn't fit in the back (unless I sit straight up and pushed up to the wheel).

Now my wife wants a minivan. Possibly a Chevy Venture. We will end up trading the car in and getting a van but I don't want to have to pay for the car and the van.....this is going to be crap.

I just bought hawk pads for the front and satisfied pads for the back....now I'm not going to put them on. I'll save them for MY pr5, five speed, built to have a turbo installed.....one day this will happen (i hope)
Whoa. How tall are you and what baby seat are you using? I am about 5'11'' and sit normally (not with the seat reclined too much. My newborn infant seat fits fine. Not sure about my future Britax Marathon convertible chair though.

- ZoomFive

rjmhotrod said:
Classic! They never get the payment where you want it at first. Check with your bank and if you have a mortgage, check to see if that company will finance an auto loan. These places are used to competing to get your business, whereas a dealer's finance department figures if you've come that far, then you're in hook, line and sinker for whatever they give you.
Yeah, it was funny. My favorite part was the way they went out on a limb and really sacrificed for me.......I wouldn't know what to do without that comforting 30 day warranty.

How far away from another Mazda dealer are you? You may even want to look around at non-mazda dealers for used MPVs. When dealers have a car that is not their brand, they are quick to want to get rid of them.

30 day warranty...lol

I bought my MSP when we got pregnant. The car seat fits fine, I am 5'11". I am suprized that you say it won't fit.

Britt

122 Vega said:
I bought my MSP when we got pregnant. The car seat fits fine, I am 5'11". I am suprized that you say it won't fit.

Britt
I am 6'1" and I don't think 2 inches is that much of a difference. Maybe I lean my seat back too far when I typically drive. I have seen much worse. I would think that this is the case but my wife is the one really pushing for a van. She says that she is uncomfortable in the p5. I'll try to take pictures of the car w/ seat and human passenger in front tomorrow.

How far away from another Mazda dealer are you? You may even want to look around at non-mazda dealers for used MPVs. When dealers have a car that is not their brand, they are quick to want to get rid of them. [\QUOTE]

We only have two in birmingham. I've looked at other dealerships around here but have found nothing. I am going to have to open the search for things outside but close to Birmingham. I'm not in an extreme rush....at least not yet. I've got a 4 hr trip this weekend through ATL so I might be rushing a little more this time next week.

My wife also said she had gotten to the point of feeling uncomfortable with "the Bubba" in the 5. So I made her ditch her 2000 Z-24 in favor of a Ford Windstar SE. Could never drive it on a daily basis, but for long trips (vacation, etc..) it ALMOST can't be beat. My sister-in-law has a Venture. Total POS.

BTW-my son absolutely loves the 5. Everytime I take him out in it, he's all like "weeeeeee" and, when at a redlight, says "go go go". Quite amusing for a 21 m/o. I asked him the first time out if he liked daddy's car. He got a big smile, pointed at it, and said "YEAH!".............

Last edited:
sidpro5 said:
BTW-my son absolutely loves the 5. Everytime I take him out in it, he's all like "weeeeeee" and, when at a redlight, says "go go go". Quite amusing for a 21 m/o. I asked him the first time out if he liked daddy's car. He got a big smile, pointed at it, and said "YEAH!".............
Thats awesome. When we first bought our 5, we had custody of my nephew (3 years old at the time). For some reason he like my Explorer better than the 5. Everytime we would go somewhere he would ask if we could take the truck. I'm not sure why b/c I hate the Ex. Its a 1994 and its used to haul all of my paint stuff. I think he liked it b/c it was mine and he really adored his uncle David.

Kids love trucks, don't they? When my daughter was 3 (we lived in NC then), she used to love going with me to the landfill on Saturdays because she got to ride in the truck. It was a beater Ford F100 4X4. She loved it because she could #1. sit in the front, #2. sit high up and #3. look out the windows. Man I miss when she was that age.

rjmhotrod said:
Kids love trucks, don't they? When my daughter was 3 (we lived in NC then), she used to love going with me to the landfill on Saturdays because she got to ride in the truck. It was a beater Ford F100 4X4. She loved it because she could #1. sit in the front, #2. sit high up and #3. look out the windows. Man I miss when she was that age.
I have a new daughter, born 3 weeks ago...I'll eventually know how you felt then...can't wait.

Back