Any cross shopping with the 2019 RAV4?

In any current Mazda I drove, I've found that the Superb Manual Mode is my best friend...though I will encounter the occasional high end sports car that I cannot hang with.

Yep, those 1st year gremlins need to be ironed out. Not everyday you see a totally new Toyota platform model with new engine, chassis, transmission, parts, ect. That said they have the next 10-20 years to work things out.

I noticed the new 2020 Corolla came out. Looks like they still offer the good ole' 1.8L 139hp engine on those things. A whole 9HP from the 1.8L engine from 2004!

Yep, those 1st year gremlins need to be ironed out. Not everyday you see a totally new Toyota platform model with new engine, chassis, transmission, parts, ect. That said they have the next 10-20 years to work things out.

I noticed the new 2020 Corolla came out. Looks like they still offer the good ole' 1.8L 139hp engine on those things. A whole 9HP from the 1.8L engine from 2004!
They're being recalled, 2019 Corolla hatchback version at least...problems with the CVT trans..That 2020 is one ugly car imo
https://www.mlive.com/news/2018/12/...lla-hatchback-due-to-transmission-issues.html

Last edited:
Hey I thought CVT's were supposed to be more reliable? Honda had issues with jerkyiness while in idle now Toyota has a recall.

In any current Mazda I drove, I've found that the Superb Manual Mode is my best friend...though I will encounter the occasional high end sports car that I cannot hang with.
"High end sports car"...

Ummm...dude. a base mustang will skulldrag a turbo cx5...

So will...

A v6 accord
A base camaro
Lots of other stuff far from "high end sports car". An actual high end sports car would blow your mind. 0-100 in 7-8 seconds or so...its scary fast if youve ever had one, how much power they truly have.

Hey I thought CVT's were supposed to be more reliable? Honda had issues with jerkyiness while in idle now Toyota has a recall.
To be fair, the recall is the torque converter, where every automatic transmission has it, and technically its not part of CVT design.

Result in the loss of power seems to be the limp mode again.

milve.com said:
Toyota has issued a recall for about 3,400 of its 2019 Corolla Hatchback models in the U.S. due to the increased risk a transmission issue could lead to the loss of power while in motion.

The automaker reports in a news release that the torque converter in its Continuously Variable Transmission could fail and result in the loss of power.

Yeah therere always those 1st year gremlins which need to be ironed out. 203 hp Dynamic Force 2.5L and Direct Shift 8-speed automatic transmission are not brand new as they have been in Camry since 2018 MY. Even if Im interested in new RAV4 mainly on power train, Id still wait for 2020 RAV4 hopefully Toyota will have fixed most of 1st year gremlins.

To me, Toyota is very conservative towards new technologies, but Mazda is the opppsite.

"High end sports car"...

So will...

A v6 accord
A base camaro
Lots of other stuff far from "high end sports car". An actual high end sports car would blow your mind. 0-100 in 7-8 seconds or so...its scary fast if youve ever had one, how much power they truly have.

This was me creeping up on two different Mclarens this past weekend with the CX-5. Yeah....so they they were probably like get that crap outta here. Within a blink of an eye they were out of my sight. Why do I insist on attempting to troll super cars with the 187hp CX-5? It's ludicrous I tell ya. I need more power!!! :)

IMG_6246.jpgIMG_6261.jpg

This was me creeping up on two different Mclarens this past weekend with the CX-5. Yeah....so they they were probably like get that crap outta here. Within a blink of an eye they were out of my sight. Why do I insist on attempting to troll super cars with the 187hp CX-5? It's ludicrous I tell ya. I need more power!!! :)

View attachment 220814View attachment 220815

You need to pull up next to them on your bike with one of these installed:

vroom_motor.jpg

You need to pull up next to them on your bike with one of these installed:

vroom_motor.jpg

I had two guys pass me on motorized fat tire bikes a few weeks ago. There I was on a $6K race bike straining while training and these guys dressed in regular clothes breeze by me like I was sitting still. My first thought, "that's it! I'm putting my bikes up for sale and just going to sit around the house eating bacon and Doritos." Then it finally dawned on me that they had motors. Whew...that was close to destroying my self-esteem.

I had two guys pass me on motorized fat tire bikes a few weeks ago. There I was on a $6K race bike straining while training and these guys dressed in regular clothes breeze by me like I was sitting still. My first thought, "that's it! I'm putting my bikes up for sale and just going to sit around the house eating bacon and Doritos." Then it finally dawned on me that they had motors. Whew...that was close to destroying my self-esteem.

Yeh, we're an egotistical fragile lot, aren't we?

When I would go on family group rides, I'd try to not show my jealousy at the kids who had bells & streamers. "But I can drink beer, kid."

ROFL!

Seriously though, you can dump some MONEY into a road bike.

Plenty good energy in them Doritos and bacon. Yum.

"High end sports car"...

So will...

A v6 accord
A base camaro

Of course there are plenty of vehicles that have more horsepower than the CX-5, but around here where I live, in real world driving, 9 out of 10 drivers who drive ordinary sports cars like Camero's, Mustangs, Chargers, or V6 equipped Sedans either choose not to or don't know how to utilize and harness all the power they have under their hoods and poke along with all the other slow civic, accord, corolla, camry, and mini van drivers...thus why I said that it is usually the drivers of higher end sports cars that I have problems with because most of them are enthusiast and know what they got under their hoods, and use it.

That said they have the next 10-20 years to work things out.

LOL, that is so true, Toyota is one of the worst offenders of riding out platforms for a decade or longer sometimes...and yet so many people never make the correlation between their heralded reliability and the fact that they are so reliable because they ride their platforms out longer than most other auto companies and are usually the last to update their platforms to the latest and greatest technology...after a decade plus of using the same platforms and engines with little changes year in and out, they should be rock solid in reliability.

LOL, that is so true, Toyota is one of the worst offenders of riding out platforms for a decade or longer sometimes...and yet so many people never make the correlation between their heralded reliability and the fact that they are so reliable because they ride their platforms out longer than most other auto companies and are usually the last to update their platforms to the latest and greatest technology...after a decade plus of using the same platforms and engines with little changes year in and out, they should be rock solid in reliability.

That's why some people like them. If you have something rock solid then why change. You know, changes like CDA...

Of course there are plenty of vehicles that have more horsepower than the CX-5, but around here where I live, in real world driving, 9 out of 10 drivers who drive ordinary sports cars like Camero's, Mustangs, Chargers, or V6 equipped Sedans either choose not to or don't know how to utilize and harness all the power they have under their hoods and poke along with all the other slow civic, accord, corolla, camry, and mini van drivers...thus why I said that it is usually the drivers of higher end sports cars that I have problems with because most of them are enthusiast and know what they got under their hoods, and use it.

Interesting. It was usually the guys in GT3's and Huracans etc. that I found hardest to goad into playing. It was the Camaro and Mustang type owners that were always about it.

Good morning - not yet a member of the Mazda family, but probably will be by June. I shopped CX-5, RAV, CRV and Forrester. I have a deposit on CX-5 Signature in Soul Red. The engine and interior were the tipping points. Reading thru this forum, second guessing regarding comments about steering wheel thickness, paint thinness. Since 1990s, I have driven German cars. Auto magazines rave about the CX5 going upscale, so hoping I*m making a good decision. CX-5 seems to have more personality than competitors.

Back