626 2.0 intake manifold swap. what do I need?

03protolx

:
2003 Mazda Protege LX
My protege has the famous failed vics system everybody is talking about and mazda won't do anything about it. I can get a intake manifold from a 2001 626 for $35 if it will work...I searched threads but all I can find that people have done the swap but can't find anything that will tell me what is needed. Will my fuel rail fit? Throttle body? Anything needed?

I would also like to know what to is needed as I just came back from the junk yard with a 626 head and intake mani.

You will need an intake manifold gasket, Throttle body gasket, and the egr tube from the 626... or you can use an universal gas line (homedepot)... i forgot the thread pitch you needed... but if you can remove your current egr tube and take it to hydrolic shop i'm sure they can help you... the info is somewhere on the forum... Need to search

Last edited:
thanks, I did search but didn't go back to 2009 I think I stopped looking around 2010. but again thanks for the help.

I didn't see that. Funny, it's easier for others to find pages like that than it is for me. I went back to 2006 and didn't find anything.

I got really lucky when I pulled my manifold to fix the leaky intake manifold gasket. Once I shook up the Intake manifold a few times, the butterflies came loose and the screws came out.

I pulled an upper intake manifold off of a 2001, I checked all the screws in the VICS butterflies and they're all still tight. It's a direct fit now and the car runs like a champ. Thank you to everybody that replied to my post.

I use google over forum search. Better searching :)

626 Intake Manifold + mazdas247 or Protege5 or whatever.

Back