2016~2023 2020 CX-9 tow hitch and hands-free lift gate

I recently purchased a 2020 CX-9 Grand Touring and wanted to get a tow hitch put on for my bike rack. I was looking at the Curtis from etrailer (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...cleID=202045828#exp-productdetails=.questions) and was wondering if the installation of the tow hitch would interfere with the hands-free lift gate operation. You just kinda kick your foot under the bumper and the lift gate opens. Usually.

I crawled under there and looked around to see if I could perhaps find a sensor or whatnot that controlled that but I can't. Can anyone speak from experience as to whether or not a tow hitch interferes with that?

Thanks!

I had the dealer install the oem hitch and it does indeed interfere with hands free operation. The US site states this but the Canadian site didn’t. It still works most of the time if you figure out where to kick (right under the two innermost parking sensors) but it’s a bit unreliable. Maybe a 75% success rate.

I’m also having issues with the power lift gate stopping 1/3 of the way up maybe 1/3-1/2 of the times I use it. I have to manually push the gate up or send it back down and retry it. I haven’t figured out what’s causing it exactly though. I had the oem hitch installed on delivery.

I also like you can’t tell where the sensor is even after laying on the ground with a flash light.

Thanks for the input.

That's exactly what I did. I laid on my back and slid under there and looked. I saw nothing that said "sensor" to me. Perhaps it is tucked up against the bottom of the bumper or something. I will look harder. And decide how much that's worth to me.

Mickey, etrailer says, "The Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver part # C13284 which is a fit for a 2020 Mazda CX-9 will work on models with the hands free lift gate feature. That said, you will need to place your foot on either side of the receiver tube in order to activate it but that's it. The Curt hitch is an excellent option which offers bolt-on installation and a hidden design."
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...cleID=201945829#exp-productdetails=.questions

Looking at the Curt 13284 online, I don't really see how it's different enough to affect the hands free liftgate differently than the one I had installed. That said, I have a feeling that the "OEM hitch" isn't one model, but whatever is compatible in each local market to the dealer.

Looking at the Curt 13284 online, I don't really see how it's different enough to affect the hands free liftgate differently than the one I had installed. That said, I have a feeling that the "OEM hitch" isn't one model, but whatever is compatible in each local market to the dealer.

The OEM hitch is a 1 1/4 hitch that sits a bit higher and requires a cutout in the bumper, but if the dealer installs you a 2" hitch then it isn't OEM and they use what is available to them. It sits lower and doesn't have a cut-out in the bumper. (at least this is what my dealer did for mine, I am pretty sure they installed a Curt hitch on my 2018.)

That's exactly what I did. I laid on my back and slid under there and looked. I saw nothing that said "sensor" to me. Perhaps it is tucked up against the bottom of the bumper or something. I will look harder. And decide how much that's worth to me.

The sensors looks like two parallel cables, they are under a cover behind the bumper. Not sure if you can see them without removing the bumper or not. Replacement instructions calls for removing the rear bumper first.

1596713356692.png

1596713418830.png

Last edited:
Back