2016 CX-5 Nav backup/restore experience.

datalink99

:
2016 CX-5 Touring 2.5
2016 CX-5 Touring bought without Nav software. I bought an OEM Mazda Nav SD card off Ebay for about $240, seller guaranteed return if bad. I made a backup with Mazda toolbox before putting in the car. Research indicated that the card would link to my specific VIN after a few miles and be unusable
in another vehicle. I then let Toolbox update the Nav card and used it my CX-5, and later backed it up with Toolbox.
Of course, backups are useless if you can't restore so I tried to restore to a new 16G SD card. (couldn't immediately find an 8G card, see below: 16 G finally worked fine). I tried restoring from 3 different backups that I had made, and even tried restoring to an 8G Micro SD in an adapter. Each of these restores completed and were "verified" by Toolbox.
Of course as you have probably read elsewhere, copy/paste of the info on the Nav card doesn't work.
All of these methods of backup failed. The navigation would start to load then reset and reload continually. There is apparently "hidden data" on the card.
What did work was: Use "HDDRawCopy" (Google it, I used the portable version.) This copied EXACTLY my original Mazda branded 8G SD card to my
16G SanDisk SDHC SD card. I used 2 USB card readers. This 16G copy loads immediately and works fine. Of course it has all my settings and
favorites in it. I now have a backup that is "plug-n-play", In my CX-5 only of course.

They're not cars- they're computers ;-)

Good luck

Back