Search results

1. L

Photobucket "3rd party hosting" and broken photo links

Got alerted on another board that Photobucket now wants $399 per year to allow photos to be shared on a website (they are calling it "3rd party hosting"). So now: All / nearly all photos I've shared here are now toast / held hostage. Sorry if this is a duplicate message, I searched for...
  2. L

MazdaSpeed 3 Rear Sway Bar Install

Starting getting a few things done again on my Mazda5, I'd ordered this Mazdaspeed 3 rear sway bar to replace the stock one; fairly common mod, but still I thought to take a few photos in case someone is thinking about this. I ordered the sway bar, rubber bushings, and retaining clamps. I...
  3. L

Mazda5 Valentine One mirror mount

I hate hanging cords from radar detectors, so I spent some time this afternoon installing a direct-wire connection and mirror mount for my Valentine One in my Mazda5. I planned on tapping power from the overhead console, and with a sunroof, it was sure to have a powered-only-with-the-key-on...
  4. L

Re-introduction: just bought another Mazda 5

After driving most of the current crop of CUV's, I decided that...I really liked the overall drive and utility of my previous Mazda 5 just as well, if not better. So: I did a Midwest search for a clean, one-owner 2012+ 5GT, found one, and brought it home over the weekend. I'll be adding a few...
  5. L

End of an era: sold our Mazda5

Or traded in, rather, last week. Bought new in February 2010, 86,000 miles of commuting and vacation trips, usually with our German shepherds. No repairs, just tire replacements and oil changes (in my garage at home). Original brake pads that whole time, a first for me.
  6. L

JBR short-throw shift plate installed, works great!

Now *this* is more like it! I've spent the first few dozen miles with my new short-throw shifting, and it's just what I was after. I'm using the JBR short-throw shift plate (Jamie Barone's product, he posted a "who's interested" message a couple days ago). My 5's shift linkage / action was...
  7. L

Glovebox power outlet(s) install

Took some time today to finally install some extra power outlets in our 5. Here's what I did. Here's an idea of the usual mess of wires we have. The Sirius plug is a transformer as well, so it monopolizes the one front power outlet. Need more! I found this 3-outlet + USB power strip over...
  8. L

Bizarro door lock behavior?

So about a month ago, a week after I got my 5, it locked me out. I spent the day admiring it from the outside till my wife got home with the second set o' keys. I chalked it up to "must've accidentally hit the lock button on the way out", but wondered. We park inside our locked garage, so our...
  9. L

Katzkins and tint just installed

Got our 5 back from the shop today upgraded with Katzkins leather, seat heaters, and tinted windows. We're pleased...the folks at Total Customs in O'Fallon MO did a *very* nice job! Here's some pix: I'd recognize that yellow piping wouldn't be most folks choice...we use that...
  10. L

Sirius Starmate install using ProClip

Finally got around to installing my Sirius Starmate5 this morning. Ultimately, I'm going for some great GPS-providing head unit that'll integrate Sirius directly, but for now I'll use this Starmate with the factory radio on my Sport. I used some Ram mounts on my Miata for my Starmate4 in...
  11. L

Handy spot for switched twelve-volt access? inside?

Sorry if I missed it, but some searching and reading hearabouts didn't turn up mention of a great place to tap for switched 12v power on these cars. *Is there* a handy place to tap into? I'd like to install a fuse/junction/connection block for future interior switched power needs, and thought...
  12. L

Just traded my 2007 CX7 GT for a 2010 Mazda5 Sport MT

That's what I get for "stopping by for a test drive". My CX7 lease was up in May, so we'd been shopping for a replacement. Our needs had focused considerably from three years ago: we adopted a GSD puppy who's now 120+ lbs and does police dog training, and we needed a vehicle that can accept...
  13. L

Extremely hazardous / hot / toxic battery?

An old-school GM exec was once quoted as saying, "parts left off lower assembly costs and don't cause service issues". Another way of saying, if the mfr. included that part with the car, "someone" thought it purposeful enough or important enough to include. Which brings me to a curious part on...
  14. L

Got my CX-7 yesterday...

...after a long search of alternatives. So I'm now reading up on a bunch of stuff on this forum, but a search for "door sill" didn't turn up any discussion of a problem I'm going to have: continually scuffing the plastic trim piece between the driver's seat and the door sill itself. I have a...
Back