Mazda position lights/drl

Good day,

I have a 2020 CX9 GT, I noticed while driving there is a light that automatically turns on. Its yellowish in colour and also the position lights have the same colour. Wanting to change it to led so that it is similar colours with the low/high beam. Looking at the manual, it doesn't tell you what type/size of that light is.

Can you provide more details to where that light is? Maybe a photo as well would help. You should also tells us in which market you are located since this has a big incidence on lights configuration.
In a Canadian 2018 cx-9 GT, all the lights in the headlight assembly are already LEDs , but if your vehicle doesn't have the Adaptive lighting system then some can be replaced (as you can see in the table below at the link below).

It is a bit different for the 2020 model Check for that table in your user manual for the 2020 model year.

Last edited:
It doesn't have adaptive lights.
20200329_175636.jpg

These are the "Parking lights/Front side-marker lights". Based on the canadians 2020 CX-9 user on vehicle without Adaptive lighting they are 5 watt, WY5W bulbs. http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2020/cx-9/contents/10020108.html

The owner manual also has the steps to replace it: http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2020/cx-9/contents/07031500.html

I am not very experience in LED replacements, so i will let other chime in on this, but if you google either CX-9 parking light LED replacement or 5 watt, WY5W bulb you will find a bunch of options. Also based on your location, remember that yellow front side marker lights may be a law in your area, just be mindful of the impact. (when I shipped my Canadian mazda 3 to the U.K., I had to change my parking lights from yellow to white to meet the U.K. regulations.)

Like I said before, make sure to check your version of the owner manual because in Canada all the GTs have adaptive lighting so there may be other differences.

These are the "Parking lights/Front side-marker lights". Based on the canadians 2020 CX-9 user on vehicle without Adaptive lighting they are 5 watt, WY5W bulbs. http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2020/cx-9/contents/10020108.html

The owner manual also has the steps to replace it: http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2020/cx-9/contents/07031500.html

I am not very experience in LED replacements, so i will let other chime in on this, but if you google either CX-9 parking light LED replacement or 5 watt, WY5W bulb you will find a bunch of options. Also based on your location, remember that yellow front side marker lights may be a law in your area, just be mindful of the impact. (when I shipped my Canadian mazda 3 to the U.K., I had to change my parking lights from yellow to white to meet the U.K. regulations.)

Like I said before, make sure to check your version of the owner manual because in Canada all the GTs have adaptive lighting so there may be other differences.
Thank you! Looking at it though, its not bad after all.

I was just looking at this. Anyone tried replacing it without having to go from the underside / wheel well? Looks like you can reach the sockets from the engine bay.

I'm planning to change it to amber LEDs.

I was just looking at this. Anyone tried replacing it without having to go from the underside / wheel well? Looks like you can reach the sockets from the engine bay.

I'm planning to change it to amber LEDs.
Are you having gt as well? Can we replace it with led? If so, what size?

Are you having gt as well? Can we replace it with led? If so, what size?
Nope, I'm on Canadian GS-L (US Touring). My front side marker bulbs are standard, as youri mentioned it's WY5W. Equivalent LED size is T10. I'll be using something like this:

led.jpg

Normally GT's are all LED up front but your photo looks like you do have standard bulbs. Weird.

Nope, I'm on Canadian GS-L (US Touring). My front side marker bulbs are standard, as youri mentioned it's WY5W. Equivalent LED size is T10.

I think the GT are all LED up front so nothing could be changed there.
Unfortunately the drl in gt are halogen :(

Unfortunately the drl in gt are halogen :(
I see. Just edited my post above to include a photo of the bulb I'll be using.

Depending on your local regulations, you may or may not be able to use other LED colors for that.

Thank you I'm in Australia. I think there is no problem changing it to white. Its just that the mechanic is advising not to change it because the drl is automatic.

Nope, I'm on Canadian GS-L (US Touring). My front side marker bulbs are standard, as youri mentioned it's WY5W. Equivalent LED size is T10. I'll be using something like this:

View attachment 223739

Normally GT's are all LED up front but your photo looks like you do have standard bulbs. Weird.
Oh its not marker or indicator lights like your picture. Im referring to drl. My marker/indicator lights are led

Oh its not marker or indicator lights like your picture. Im referring to drl. My marker/indicator lights are led

I see what you mean!! It's this one:
headlight.jpg

I had to take a closer look. North American models have the drl either together with the actual headlight circle (lower trims) or as light bars (higher trims).

Confirm with your owner's manual what the size code is, but from this generic manual I found online, says it's size 7443.

Not sure though what the concern of your mechanic is replacing that with LED, other than being able to find the proper kind. Some LED bulbs are too weak to be used as drl.

Interesting how the model differs by regions. Sometime the issue with DRLs is that they have 2 different level of intensity for day and night driving. If you change them to LED then you may lose that 2 x intensity level capability (depending on the LED model). You can see in the manual you linked that there are 2 x wattages identified "21/5", which seems to indicate that these bulbs are running on two different settings depending on the driving scenario.

Now this may not be a big deal. On my previous cars, I swapped my halogen headlights for HID even though the halogen where also the daytime running light at running at lower intensity during the day. The only impact was that my DRLs were always running at 100% brightness, which didn't really matter in daytime anyway. But it varies by vehicles and by application.

Edit: You could grab one of these bad boys for your dual wattage application, but they all say "not road legal" :)

Latest posts

Back