New CX5 Owner - Questions

I have a mazda '19 cx-5 GT and have a question about the adaptive cruise control.

I am using Adaptive Cruise Control but I noticed when i am in traffic now and my car comes to a stop, there is an "hold" that is activated and i have to press on the gas for it to start going on. I am trying to turn this feature off but I don't know how. I know that there is the auto-hold toggle next to the emergency e-brake, but this is already off. I'm not sure why this "hold" was activated in the first place.

Before, i wouldn't have to press on the gas, the car would just start moving once the car in front of me starts moving forward.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

I'm built similarly and think the 2018 CX-5 GT has the most comfortable seats of any of the 6 or 7 cars I've owned. To me comfort includes being supported and secure, not sinking in. I think some prefer a bean bag, I hate bean bags.
I’m always shocked to hear anyone thinks they are comfortable. I agree support is important and comfort is subjective. But sitting on top of hard bolsters is not supportive, just painful(for my skinny frame).

Base bolsters should be holding your thighs in places, not squeezing your cheeks.

My wife has 16.5 GT and the first thing she said when she got in my GT-R was “where are those side things that keep me from sliding around”.

@dblazeon:

Try reading about the Stop Hold Control starting on Page 4-152 of your manual.

There's a lot of If/Then stuff I don't want to copy & paste because there's just so much of it, and you may see something that fits your specific scenario.

If you have not done so already, download a pdf of the manual from Mazda's website. It REALLY helps to be able to electronically search on this stuff rather than trying to wade through that tome of a manual (not that asking such questions is a bad thing, because the ensuing interactions always teach me something new).

I have a mazda '19 cx-5 GT and have a question about the adaptive cruise control.

I am using Adaptive Cruise Control but I noticed when i am in traffic now and my car comes to a stop, there is an "hold" that is activated and i have to press on the gas for it to start going on. I am trying to turn this feature off but I don't know how. I know that there is the auto-hold toggle next to the emergency e-brake, but this is already off. I'm not sure why this "hold" was activated in the first place.

Before, i wouldn't have to press on the gas, the car would just start moving once the car in front of me starts moving forward.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas.
It has been reported here [once] that the car will resume automatically if the stop is less than 5 [or 3?] seconds. It requires throttle input or a push on the resume button if the duration is longer than that.

See if that corresponds to your experience and please report back.

It has been reported here [once] that the car will resume automatically if the stop is less than 5 [or 3?] seconds. It requires throttle input or a push on the resume button if the duration is longer than that.

See if that corresponds to your experience and please report back.
I haven't had the opportunity to try it but my memories tell me it would be put on "hold" immediately (less than 3 second). Ill try it later and get back to you.

however,
@Avoidin Deer suggested the owner's manual and I think i found the answer im looking for - so have a few things to try tomorrow! ty

I’m always shocked to hear anyone thinks they are comfortable. I agree support is important and comfort is subjective. But sitting on top of hard bolsters is not supportive, just painful(for my skinny frame).

Base bolsters should be holding your thighs in places, not squeezing your cheeks.

My wife has 16.5 GT and the first thing she said when she got in my GT-R was “where are those side things that keep me from sliding around”.
I sit with my knees in line with my hips and feet. I'm wondering if people who dislike the bolsters either have their knees spread, or maybe just significantly wider than I am.

I'm 6' and 164lbs. I am one who finds the seats in my '19 GT-R quite comfortable. At first I had some pressure on the bottom of my thighs but never any issue with the bolster. I do not drive with my knees spread more than about a foot or so. The pressure on the bottom of my legs went away when I finally got the seat front low enough so it didn't press up behind the knee. Since then, the seats fit me fine. Longest drive so far is about 2 1/2 hours, but no squirming required. Might be different when I do 6-8 hours, but then again, my wife and I always take breaks every 2 hours or so to get the blood flowing, then we switch drivers.

I sit with my knees in line with my hips and feet. I'm wondering if people who dislike the bolsters either have their knees spread, or maybe just significantly wider than I am.

No matter how i sit(knees apart, close together, slouching, sitting straight, somewhere in the middle) the overly firm bolsters are putting pressure on the joint where my legs meet my hips. Pretty sure that is also where the sciatic nerve is.

No matter how i sit(knees apart, close together, slouching, sitting straight, somewhere in the middle) the overly firm bolsters are putting pressure on the joint where my legs meet my hips. Pretty sure that is also where the sciatic nerve is.
Yup.

My right side always aches from it.

Not sure if you've seen the posts to try Mazda's formal process on seat adjustment (Starts at the bottom of Owner's Manual Pg 2-7). Sorry if this is a repeat for you. It does help a little. Later on I find the need to shift it a bit.

Yup.

My right side always aches from it.

Not sure if you've seen the posts to try Mazda's formal process on seat adjustment (Starts at the bottom of Owner's Manual Pg 2-7). Sorry if this is a repeat for you. It does help a little. Later on I find the need to shift it a bit.
Yup, read through the directions when I got it- minor improvement.

Something about the base always has me feeling like I’m sliding down and being squeezed, literally bunching up my pants.

The comment about the base digging into the back of someone’s knee before it was adjusted strikes me as odd because the base is so short. it’s inches away from the back of my knee, and I’m not exactly tall.

The further I slouch, the more tolerable it becomes, but then there’s no under thigh support. Just a poor design. Never in my life have I had such a hard time trying to be comfortable in a car.

Medical people will tell you it's not good for your joints to sit in a bucket seat that's too tight. It does squeeze your joints.
If your seat does that better get a cushion until you figure out what to do.
I have a chair at home that does that from a failure in the webbing-I think. I plan on getting a new chair.

The comment about the base digging into the back of someone’s knee before it was adjusted strikes me as odd because the base is so short. it’s inches away from the back of my knee, and I’m not exactly tall.

You don't need to be tall to have long legs. You simply have longer legs and a shorter torso than the other guy.

The further I slouch, the more tolerable it becomes, but then there’s no under thigh support. Just a poor design. Never in my life have I had such a hard time trying to be comfortable in a car.

Nope. Its just a design that isn't ideal for your build. If anything, Mazda needs to add more adjustment options, especially for CUVs and SUVs. Thigh extenders, lower and upper side bolster adjustment, maybe even seat bottom firmness. If they keep trying to move towards luxury, they'll get these extra adjustment options. But it probably won't happen until the next gen CX-5 at the earliest.

You don't need to be tall to have long legs. You simply have longer legs and a shorter torso than the other guy.

Nope. Its just a design that isn't ideal for your build. If anything, Mazda needs to add more adjustment options, especially for CUVs and SUVs. Thigh extenders, lower and upper side bolster adjustment, maybe even seat bottom firmness. If they keep trying to move towards luxury, they'll get these extra adjustment options. But it probably won't happen until the next gen CX-5 at the earliest.

I’m only 5’8” and have a longer torso, so my legs are not long.

It’s a poor design. A car seat should not cause pain for slimmer to average built people.

The Gen 1 seats were not like this. Again, base bolsters are for lateral thigh support, not sitting on top of or squeezing your hips. I couldn’t imagine having wider hips and bigger legs wih these seats.

It’s comical to look down and the only seat surface I see is between my legs.

I agree adjustments would be nice. But a design that works for most people(like gen 1 and all 3 generations of Mazda 3s I’ve owned) would be better.

I drove 3 hours from Houston to Austin 2 days ago. Very comfortable on legs and back the whole way except the center console being too short to rest my elbow. I pull the steering wheel towards me to help with that. I’m 6ft 200lbs

I’m only 5’8” and have a longer torso, so my legs are not long.

They're longer than the other guy's. That's all I was saying. It was a response based on your comment about the short seat base.

It’s a poor design. A car seat should not cause pain for slimmer to average built people.

I could agree with you if this was actually true, but it's not. Again, it's not a universal problem for all slimmer to average built people - if it were, reviewers would be having a field day with it and you'd see a LOT more complaints online. The seat design is just not ideal for you. I have the same issue with my 06 Civic's seats. Can't sit in them for more than 45 mins or my lower back starts to tighten up, and at the 2 hour mark I have to take a break. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with the seats, they just don't work well with my build/seat position preference.

They're longer than the other guy's. That's all I was saying. It was a response based on your comment about the short seat base.

I could agree with you if this was actually true, but it's not. Again, it's not a universal problem for all slimmer to average built people - if it were, reviewers would be having a field day with it and you'd see a LOT more complaints online. The seat design is just not ideal for you. I have the same issue with my 06 Civic's seats. Can't sit in them for more than 45 mins or my lower back starts to tighten up, and at the 2 hour mark I have to take a break. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with the seats, they just don't work well with my build/seat position preference.

Short, narrow and overly firm base = poor design. We can disagree on that though. If I had some abnormal body type, I would agree with you.

It also has been mentioned in car reviews(moto-man or something, idk a guy who has had David Coleman on a few videos).

This is all very interesting. I have no problem with our 2019 seats, and the wife actually prefers them to our 2014's.

Go figger :)

If I had some abnormal body type, I would agree with you.

You're saying that the seat is designed poorly because it's uncomfortable for you, and that Mazda should have designed the seats to accommodate someone with your build better. Then you make the assumption that this is an issue with all slimmer to average build people (and it's not). Here's the issue: if they widened the seat space between the bolsters to accommodate your specific build, the people who aren't complaining now would be complaining that the seats are too big and that they slide around in them too much. That defeats the purpose of a well-handling car, and goes against Mazda's principle of jinba ittai.

I'd venture a guess that your hips are just set wider than most others, and the seat bolsters don't account for that. This wouldn't be an issue if the car came with adjustable side bolsters (hey Mazda, you listening?).

You're saying that the seat is designed poorly because it's uncomfortable for you, and that Mazda should have designed the seats to accommodate someone with your build better. Then you make the assumption that this is an issue with all slimmer to average build people (and it's not). Here's the issue: if they widened the seat space between the bolsters to accommodate your specific build, the people who aren't complaining now would be complaining that the seats are too big and that they slide around in them too much. That defeats the purpose of a well-handling car, and goes against Mazda's principle of jinba ittai.

I'd venture a guess that your hips are just set wider than most others, and the seat bolsters don't account for that. This wouldn't be an issue if the car came with adjustable side bolsters (hey Mazda, you listening?).

You’re missing the point. If Mazda has a seat that causes someone with a relatively average build issues, they messed up. It’s not just me complaining. There are a number of posts on here with new owners that are disappointed. There are posts on other forums out there as well. It’s possible to make a seat that is comfortable and supportive for multiple body types. Mazda failed at that with this seat.

Last night, I had my buddy who has been a certified master mechanic for over 20 years sit in my car. His reaction? “Wow those have to be some of the hardest seats I’ve ever sat in” He’s been getting in and out of a lot of cars for a long time.

You’re missing the point. If Mazda has a seat that causes someone with a relatively average build issues, they messed up. It’s not just me complaining. There are a number of posts on here with new owners that are disappointed. There are posts on other forums out there as well. It’s possible to make a seat that is comfortable and supportive for multiple body types. Mazda failed at that with this seat.

Read my previous post again - I'm saying that maybe your particular anatomy isn't as average as you think it is. Maybe you just have wide hips or something. I could be wrong, but I think there are 5 or 6 owners who have complained about the issue here, on a forum with quite a few 2017+ CX-5 drivers. Even then, the combined number of owners on this forum and others, plus the FB CX-5 group, only represents a very small fraction of CX-5s on the road. If the seat truly causes issues in those with a relatively average build, as you say, this would be a much more prevalent issue.

I'm not saying that the issue doesn't exist for you. I'm just saying that it's not as widespread as you think it is, because it doesn't seem to be a problem for the majority of other owners.

Back