Just joined the club and question on rust

Fish1

Contributor
:
Mazda 2014 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech
Just wanted to say hello. I just joined the club bought a 2014 CX-5 GT last week. Still learning the car but so far been having lots of fun with it. I have enjoyed reading through all the posts and like how active a community there is here. Currently added or plan to add tow hitch, roof racks and led interior lighting.

I live in the north east in area of heavy salt use. I was surprised by the amount of surface rust on the under body for a car with less than 30K and 2 winters. Is this car prone to excessive rust in general? Has anybody done anything to treat the undercarriage? For comparison my previous car is a 2005 with 225K miles and looks in better shape. I just want to stay ahead of any problem areas before they become expensive fixes. Maybe the car just wasn't treated well by the previous owner but everything else looks mint.

thanks,

Anyone from perhaps Hawaii (salt air) that can speak to this?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Just posted in another thread:

Just spent 3 hours under my 3 year old CX-5. Did AT, Engine and 2x TC oil changes.

Rust level in various spots on 36 month car was tad too much. Mark this post, but in 4 season weather I don't see this version last 10 years.

If this is CA/FL type of no salt climate - all should be fine, but winter states beware.

You didn't know that Mazdas rot quickly in the North East?

New Japanese cars NEED rust-proofing at the dealer or they're not going to live past 10 years if you live in the rust-belt.

You didn't know that Mazdas rot quickly in the North East?[/QUOTE]

This is my first Mazda rust was not an issue a researched as I foolishly thought this was an issue left in the 80's and 90's. Loved my old bronco II but that guy rusted like it was going out of style this feature must have been borrowed from Ford?. At least I know what I will be doing for the next few free weekends.

New Japanese cars NEED rust-proofing at the dealer or they're not going to live past 10 years if you live in the rust-belt.[/QUOTE]

My old Japanese (Toyota) car has zero rust problems after 10+ years and 4 of those living an arm's length from the ocean.

I live in Ottawa Ontario (Canada), and we are heavy users of road salt in our winters.
Older Mazda's up here have serious rust issues. There aren't many Protege's left here because they've all fallen apart.
Older Mazda 3's are riddled with rust holes as well.
I asked the local Mazda dealer about this, and according to him, (of course), is that Mazda addressed this issue after 2010.
I am not convinced.
The other issue contributing to this problem is/was poor and thin paint. I'm not sure if this has changed either.
I'm looking at either the CX-5 or a Mazda 6, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger because of this issue.
I don't have to make a decision yet, so I'm looking at alternatives.

I live in Ottawa Ontario (Canada), and we are heavy users of road salt in our winters.
Older Mazda's up here have serious rust issues. There aren't many Protege's left here because they've all fallen apart.
Older Mazda 3's are riddled with rust holes as well.
I asked the local Mazda dealer about this, and according to him, (of course), is that Mazda addressed this issue after 2010.
I am not convinced.
The other issue contributing to this problem is/was poor and thin paint. I'm not sure if this has changed either.
I'm looking at either the CX-5 or a Mazda 6, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger because of this issue.
I don't have to make a decision yet, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Uh oh

Take it to the Crown dealer, or undercoat it yourself with Fluid Film. I do it every other year, no rust on any if the cars. Southern Ontario too.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Go over to Miata.net, they are finding rust all over their shinny new RF's and MX5's hidden under the seat pans. I had to replace my side mirror last month because my wife hit a mail box. When I took it off the entire inside housing was rusted out. I have replaced mirrors on 10 years old Nissans without any rust on them. Go to the dealer with a flashlight and you will find rust on the seat hardware and seat pans. How is Mazda's steel of less quality than the big 3 Japanese makes?

Go over to Miata.net, they are finding rust all over their shinny new RF's and MX5's hidden under the seat pans. I had to replace my side mirror last month because my wife hit a mail box. When I took it off the entire inside housing was rusted out. I have replaced mirrors on 10 years old Nissans without any rust on them. Go to the dealer with a flashlight and you will find rust on the seat hardware and seat pans. How is Mazda's steel of less quality than the big 3 Japanese makes?

Yup - spots of corrosion on the floor plates of my back seat (where they fold) and on the bottom bar of my passenger seat...very concerned.

Bc mazda isn't big 3 and needs to cut costs in any way they can?

Just posted in another thread:

That was my post...

Illinois weather. It looked bad in some spots. Metal bracket in the middle of car where it is mounted to under-body, rear sway links - threaded part, some nuts, even galvanized ones looked very rusty. Large rust spots on lower control arm.

Hard to imagine this will look good in 5+ years.

One of the things the newer cars have to deal with today is the new road salt.

For decades municipalities have used road salt. (Sodium Chloride) Which of course is also very corrosive, and causes rust.

Now, most everyone in the last 10 years has switched to the other road salts that contain other chemicals that are much more highly caustic and corrosive chemicals.

It is going to take some time before anti-corrosion technology from the car manufacturers catches up.

DSC08682.jpg.html

One of the things the newer cars have to deal with today is the new road salt.

For decades municipalities have used road salt. (Sodium Chloride) Which of course is also very corrosive, and causes rust.

Now, most everyone in the last 10 years has switched to the other road salts that contain other chemicals that are much more highly caustic and corrosive chemicals.

It is going to take some time before anti-corrosion technology from the car manufacturers catches up.

DSC08682.jpg.html

Problem is they're rusting before they even know what road salt is. In the interior under the seats of all places...

Yup - spots of corrosion on the floor plates of my back seat (where they fold) and on the bottom bar of my passenger seat...very concerned.

Just found the same thing. Not complaining, but can't say I expected to find it, yet anyways, and in the interior at that...

It's pretty difficult to blame road salt when interior bits are rusting in the showrooms.
Mazda has a problem and refuses to admit it.
As I've said before, I was seriously looking at either the CX-5 or the 6. I don't think I'll be a Mazda owner anytime soon.

Problem is they're rusting before they even know what road salt is. In the interior under the seats of all places...

Do you mean the cars floor pan under the seat, or the underside interior of the seat?

I always disliked how some bolts from the interior, terminate on the underside of the car, threads exposed to the salts. The fluid wicks up the threads of the bolts from outside to the inside. A wax or undercoating film would be a great idea to install before all of the felt/fiber and plastic vehicle under trays on the vehicle

It's pretty difficult to blame road salt when interior bits are rusting in the showrooms.
Mazda has a problem and refuses to admit it.
As I've said before, I was seriously looking at either the CX-5 or the 6. I don't think I'll be a Mazda owner anytime soon.

I would love to see some pictures of this, is there another thread somewhere that has some?

That doesn't look good ⋯
And we're still waiting for the replacement liftgate struts for the recall a while ago due to excessive rust, aren't we? (uhm)

Anyone else's hatch damper connection bolts rusting? This is the bolt/joint connecting the hatch damper to the hatch itself.

I just noticed that my 3-year-old, 33,000 mile 2013 Touring's look rusted. All other bolts/nuts in the hatch area look fine. Just those two connection points look rusted.

Is it just mine? Should I be concerned?

See attached pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had a back and forth with MazdaUsa about when the parts for this recall would be in. They said sometime in April. I went to have a look at my dampers and saw the end cap splitting, see picture. I called my Mazda dealer today and told them what was going on. They set an appointment on Monday, they're going to take dampers off a newer CX5 and swap them with mine because parts wouldn't be available until May. I suggest anyone with an older CX5 go out and take a close look.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back