What did you pay for your CX-5?

No left overs until the new ones arrive....

Fair enough. But c'mon - they know the 2020s are coming. We know the 2020's are coming. Why not get rid one of the THREE you got on your lot already? /endrant

Fair enough. But c'mon - they know the 2020s are coming. We know the 2020's are coming. Why not get rid one of the THREE you got on your lot already? /endrant

I feel your frustration. Maybe they're waiting for better incentives to THEM from Mazda? [which we'll never know about unless they tell us]

Trying to time the car market is a little like trying to time the stock market. Hard to impossible.

Have you tried outside the area?

I'm looking for a left over 2019 Grand Touring Reserve as well. Anyone in the Mid Atlantic get any price quotes recently?

NJ sucks - I've tried the tri-state area and can't get below 6.7% off without incentives.

My insurance adjuster had to get quotes from 2 dealers for my new car replacement insurance. One was 7.9% & the other was 2.7% off without incentives. East central PA. I was waiting on my insurance check to start pricing replacement. I was told 2020*s are most likely December.

And yes, get the GTR. I had mine for 4 months before it was rear ended & totaled. The turbo is awesome.

I feel your frustration. Maybe they're waiting for better incentives to THEM from Mazda? [which we'll never know about unless they tell us]

Trying to time the car market is a little like trying to time the stock market. Hard to impossible.

Have you tried outside the area?

Agreed. You make a very good point.

I'm slowly working my way outside my area. I started with the closest dealer and moving outward. I'll expand to about a 200 mile radius from NJ which should cover a lot of dealers.

By chance any tips on the wording I should use for the emails? Should I say flat out I'm looking for 10% off MSRP? (Just an example, hopefully looking for higher) Or should I say - dealer A offered $xxxxxxx can you beat that?

Just tell them exactly what you want and ask for their best price. When you get the best price, contact the others and see if anyone will beat it. Don't talk about % off MSRP or invoice or anything like that. You want their best out the door price.

We just got a new Impreza for my wife. There's only one Subaru dealer within 50 miles. I contacted every dealer within 300 miles, took the best deal back to the local dealer, and they matched it.

Don't talk to them in person until you're ready to buy from them. That's the best way I know to ruin a day.

Good luck!

Just tell them exactly what you want and ask for their best price. When you get the best price, contact the others and see if anyone will beat it. Don't talk about % off MSRP or invoice or anything like that. You want their best out the door price.

We just got a new Impreza for my wife. There's only one Subaru dealer within 50 miles. I contacted every dealer within 300 miles, took the best deal back to the local dealer, and they matched it.

Don't talk to them in person until you're ready to buy from them. That's the best way I know to ruin a day.

Good luck!

Will do. Thank you for your help!

I'm looking for a left over 2019 Grand Touring Reserve as well. Anyone in the Mid Atlantic get any price quotes recently?

NJ sucks - I've tried the tri-state area and can't get below 6.7% off without incentives.

NJ/NY dealerships won't deal at all. They think they're sitting on a lot of Ferrari 250 GTs.

You'll have to travel out to PA or MD.

Back in Feb, MD/PA dealerships were giving me quotes of 7-8% off sticker price for the GTRs without much haggling.

Should be able to get much better deals now.

Don't go to VA, they have unlimited caps on doc fees and some dealerships tried to tell me the doc fees were $600+.

Yeah, whatever.

NJ/NY dealerships won't deal at all. They think they're sitting on a lot of Ferrari 250 GTs.

Back in Feb, MD/PA dealerships were giving me quotes of 7-8% off sticker price for the GTRs without much haggling.

Don't go to VA, they have unlimited caps on doc fees and some dealerships tried to tell me the doc fees were $600+.

Yeah, whatever.

Thanks Aircon05.

When you got yours in PA which dealer did you use? And if you don't mind how did you do on price?

Thanks Aircon05.

When you got yours in PA which dealer did you use? And if you don't mind how did you do on price?

Went to Faulkner Mazda.

I got 8% off sticker price with some minor negotiating.

I felt the most comfortable at this dealership. No hidden agenda, no upselling, and no other bs to get you in the door. So I just decided to get it from here.

This was without any type of incentives or rebates (I didn't quality for any).

I possibly could have haggled some more off, but this was around the time when the turbo models were pretty new on the lots and when dealerships just started getting inventory on the lots. I remember at this time, the GTR and Sig's were selling as soon as they hit the lots. They didn't last.

Plus, i was sick of negotiating with dealerships in NJ/NY and just didn't feel like haggling anymore.

8 months later now, and you definitely should be able to do better.

Last edited:
Went to Faulkner Mazda.

I got 8% off sticker price with some minor negotiating.

I felt the most comfortable at this dealership. No hidden agenda, no upselling, and no other bs to get you in the door. So I just decided to get it from here.

This was without any type of incentives or rebates (I didn't quality for any).

I possibly could have haggled some more off, but this was around the time when the turbo models were pretty new on the lots and when dealerships just started getting inventory on the lots. I remember at this time, the GTR and Sig's were selling as soon as they hit the lots. They didn't last.

Plus, i was sick of negotiating with dealerships in NJ/NY and just didn't feel like haggling anymore.

8 months later now, and you definitely should be able to do better.

Awesome. Thank you again AirCon. Faulkner is not too far and I'll swing by them and see if they will work with me.

Awesome. Thank you again AirCon. Faulkner is not too far and I'll swing by them and see if they will work with me.

Honestly speaking though......I wouldn't step foot into a dealership until you have your numbers set.

What I have done (along with probably the other members here) is email dealerships for offers and make them compete against each other for your business.

You should probably email a few dealerships in PA/MD and ask them for their best offer.

Once you have the best offer, email other dealerships and ask them if they can beat this offer.

Rinse and repeat until you get the best offer.

Once you get the best offer in email (make sure it's legit with the details/breakdown) then you should step foot into the dealership to close the deal or possibly negotiate a few hundred extra off.

Walking into the dealership should be for signing the papers and not for starting negotiations.

Last edited:

Yeah, whatever.

The best prices are in Va and NC, and got a good price in Delaware too. Some of the top dealerships in VA also have dealerships in MD too, so it can be done there as well.

My next purchase will most likely be in NC, or VA, and no one is coming close to the prices Ive seen. YMMV, but no way I rule out the entire state of Va based on a damn doc fee. Negotiate the sell price better to make up for it, thats what I do anyways.

Last edited:

Good luck!

That's how I did it. OTD price.

Once you get the best offer in email (make sure it's legit with the details/breakdown)

This.

We got one offer that was a real outlier, so we eliminated him from consideration. Reading reviews of him later, we saw many complaints about dishonesty, bait and switch, etc.

Buyer beware.

Welp, I've reached out to a half dozen dealers here in CO and no one will budge off 5% on a Touring thus far. May not be zoom zoomin' afterall!

Welp, I've reached out to a half dozen dealers here in CO and no one will budge off 5% on a Touring thus far. May not be zoom zoomin' afterall!

Hang tight. Wait until the 2020s hit the lot and look for a 2019.

From what I heard Mazda is not offering any special incentive for dealers in October. Might be worth your wait for a month or two.

From what I heard Mazda is not offering any special incentive for dealers in October. Might be worth your wait for a month or two.

The push to get the 2019s out the door has already started in my local area. As of October 1st our local Mazda dealers have rebates of $2,000 off for 2019 CX5 models ($1,500 for cash & $500 Mazda Year-end Event) plus another $500 rebate for Mazda Locality.

I also noticed the the 2020 Mazda 3s are now on the lots.

Wade

Check the inventory rates online. If you see that the same dealer has multiple colors of the same trim, then just wait. I jumped the gun a bit because I loved the car and wanted to winterize it for the boarding season. I waited for 1 1/2 months and lost out on my fave color. I ended up buying the most common color in dealer inventory. I*m sure if I could*ve gotten a better deal if I waited a bit longer. All the manufacturers run top of the line analytics. U might be able to pull one over on 1the dealer but not mazda. They know exactly how much to discount where. Check the inventory and see if ure in an area where it*s a buyer*s market

Had a dealer follow up with me today with a good offer finally, think we're going to take it.

2019 CX-5 Touring AWD no P/P
MSRP: $29,060
Discount: $2060
Mazda Rebate Standard APR: -$1,500
Doc fee $599
Tax: $2185

Total OTD: $28,285

Back