Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Could be. Had a second look and it seems where the block and oil pan are attaching to be more oily spot but since there is opening space thrugh the wheelarch it could also be the air and gravity spreading the oil around.

Hopefully its the oil pan seal only.....wouldnt like it to have half of the engine aux parts taken apart just to change the timing cover seal. Will post more when I have new information to report.
The fix for a leaky oil pan is a new oil pan, I was told there was a TSB for that and that's what they did.

20190126-124003.jpg

20190126-124101-2.jpg

20190126-125255.jpg

20190126-124228.jpg

Small drops are now appearing below the car. First picture shows where from on the cover.
Managed to get a better look at the oily spots.
Same as with the other reportings.
Kind of looks like the oil pan seal where it joins with the engine block and the other seal of the timing chain cover bottom side.
Above the crankshaft pulley its all dry. So its from it downwards.

p.s. just checked - yes there is a new oil pan part.
hopefully its that for my leak.

Manufacturer: Mazda
Part Number: PYFB-10-4AXC
Part: Pan Oil
Replaces: PYFB-10-4AXB

Last edited:
slight offtopic, on my oil pan at the bottom there is a sensor plugged in. Have you noticed the same on yours? just curious ...may be oil level sensor.,Havent seen it on other oil pans, other Cx5s.

What is crazy is I got the similar issue now....was doing my usual engine compartment check when noticed oil vapours and some dust on the bottom/the passenger side. Below the ac compresor and aux belts. That wasnt there when I got the car or at least I have not noticed it.
Will have to remove under engine covers and take a better look. The car is only 2000 miles....will post more when I get time to look under.
Wait, you have the same leak issue on your 2018 CX-5 with only 2K miles? That's unbelievable! I thought Mazda has come out a solution to fix the leak issue based on the TSB, apparently it's not. It just like the rear EBP dragging issue on 2016 CX-5 which took several different tries with different fixes finally resolve the issue, or may be not?

(rant)

Hard to believe I have been dealing with this leak for 3 years now. I still have the timing chain cover leak as well that was already fixed but opened back up. I did an oil change last night and if I didn't have the plastic splash shield on bottom of car there would be oil droplets in the garage from this "LEAK". Patience gone and done.

My worst tuned two stroke old power sport beater motor is dryer than this thing. I think we are long past any residue leftover from manufacturer as previously suggested by service department. Back to dealer.

KKxHYK9srehRnyNXagvHCJGmkJpkLtR712W_10kpGi36SBReTHENggCtnzuAa6IjAuvU-LCCeSvDAZ2Wfj-otpyuWHujTpL92K7yNxD7EcWeCUhJaG_mgh_7CY5Y6tlDiwC_CGDm7EM8wzyWS6j9D_jXN7uqf2AXbq4h9_dQ1u8E-frh1xdYhhO7_hjegAG4gA5Sb0cbPWmWXSkhRFa6QNme_b5IKCSK184tozQ79kwpvI3RV8dF-x4En8dPqU9aayYxBw4pdX8-J8zIA9s2XO93RRRXcm_Ar8J82mYiOAa8QtXFJRAGpdTSRMadWgbDG94kFHGOjhKaHFN29l3LHBtCbOE5No1yX4MdEqi1gxNCIQ92GAvFm-TOilEQpY2TeywyLKVLjjgHnGLYgx9ZW9r2hB2sCl31X4tl8H9e4fsjvbGQh5mj7Ju9NNgL6DhMquvBXjnTHzJv8WMEh4ko4J6DDvYzQq7sckL2nj77v6BzoGzfAJsloRj8LxF8_Ra5d2PWbvY7Z-wcfl8kW8zvH49DedbO66dcbXucDq0oPgbbz9E3xUF4J3CmtkEa5TxapiUggEBpucDeOKsab5Yg-uWiWYtCfYYNhPvA6HpRvbWdKgCXDFDejMae3mr_4zgVvuo5RLOwosyVWoz_RZV9EvYWJI4=w480-h640-no
Haven't checked the board while taking my 1998 Honda CR-V on a road trip to San Jose definitely a little nervous driving such a old car with 183K miles for such a long trip no matter how much good maintenance I'd done to the car. Your "small" leak now actually looks worse after all the fixes the Mazda dealer had done! I'd contact Mazda North American Operations as the last effort to get the problem fixed. I feel you may have multiple leak areas, including the engine / transmission connecting area from shaft seals like I suspected at the beginning of this long thread. Really hope your next visit can finally fix your leaks.

I definitely have at least two leaks now.

I'll update what happens tomorrow after dealer visit.

I did send an inquiry off to corporate as well.

The fix for a leaky oil pan is a new oil pan, I was told there was a TSB for that and that's what they did.
So yours had oil pan replaced with revised oil pan without doing anything on timing chain cover? Have you checked recently if the oil leak from chain cover could be there?

My secondary timing chain cover leak shows a lot residue around the upper rear pulley area. IIRC this was where it leaked from before. I've cleaned off several times with brake cleaner too.

Ip9D_mP8eCLXq1xcuNS3uDihOmPrTxVZF1QSrcXqpkll2tXb0DTt9l3jWx3j2BrtB_acn1MRAI4NcMVdzYdLm5ElahBRwdKb7vpCl3gIaz--Zsn8QBGdQp3uUftKkfUgcF38e8X_mszgD0gMrMuzF9TLVvjg9QWwjGu7UwKs5I6NnI5ETlyCs2nZmgMXhkQwi95Y2Dtc9mmFMEj9pwzW0mJ_zC6IatiFllwQLiVbn6ApvUiTm3rDMyirifcWX8sF8J1UuBPfRD7UeE9xFX7_2AJagc6a1ioVhLeNPxdLB0rQmh3aKUWyKyNai1Ll08Ja6QME17vKw2U1VamW0KwYzo0ZsHWnwxfa-yjB3gqzkMRE0tIyft40ioueSrLpW3e14RnPfESUqu-ToXEykXnG8uu2b9c4xut4nPH0TahynqhbGlA70SZi_FMMWWnnVocReptHO0IJ3LYSnO_uU8zEjtNb__lOtXsSZAvu2R_HnDBr4DYSmYcSttGZHldhkhmWC9qOlOrUgtLJORN8Y0nNgyd5GN9BK6utUty49QCZWrXNb2IuloPadIfQORrszbaEGreG79FTeA2hZ0VmsSXJILKr_Tg7bHU2Dmv2nnzt-uoSetAT6wdB2NOUCU82Tvjh_YphDg2xoA6AXF4KtXzteztxbGGhlEPgDh1Mh2lGUF9HciSLq1Sl9k2fxJEuKVglGbaPkZpyYNMLMf7GWNzx=s640-no

That does look like it puts it in timing chain cover area but could simply be oil pan gasket.

In my current stable my 12 year old '07 G35x approaching 100K miles is arid when it comes to anything related to a gasket weep from top to bottom. I had to get over 20 years in my old '96 5.0L Explorer to get at oil leak levels my CX-5 currently has.
My 1998 Honda CR-V with 183K miles does look a little worse than your CX-5 as far as oil leak under the engine compartment. But it burned almost no oil after I arrived at San Jose driving 1,800 miles at 80 mph most of time in 3 days!

We haven't done such a long road trip for many years. The most obvious difference on the Inter-state highway with higher speed limits, 75 or 70 mph in California, is those 18-wheelers are now driving a lot faster than in old days which is more dangerous at least to me. Not only they're so many, but also they would pass you without hesitation if you drive at 5 mph above speed limit. And they would cut in really close kicking up stones which actually hit my windshield caused minor crack. I really missed a lot more disciplined driving style by those truckers from old days!

And BTW, even with much higher speed limits, Arizona features many highway patrols catching speeding vehicles. We saw at least 4 got caught on I-40 in Arizona while we had seen none in Texas, New Mexico and California during the trip.

Yes, I have noticed that too when driving in California vs Arizona.

regarding my leak, Yes only 2000 miles on a new CX5 (built June.18).

regarding all leaks reported in this thread by different people.
So far seems to be three - 1 oil pan area, 1 for timing chain cover area, 1 for the spot between AT and Engine.

Looking on the whole forum (other threads) seems the first and second are seen more often in various Mazdas during the past few years.
I am only speculating other people dont look but have leaks never reported.
Only Mazda and dealers knows how many are reported but I agree it is annoying problem.

This member had a torque converter seal replaced

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...for-me-too-(&p=6586962&viewfull=1#post6586962

Yes, I have noticed that too when driving in California vs Arizona.

regarding my leak, Yes only 2000 miles on a new CX5 (built June.18).

regarding all leaks reported in this thread by different people.
So far seems to be three - 1 oil pan area, 1 for timing chain cover area, 1 for the spot between AT and Engine.

Looking on the whole forum (other threads) seems the first and second are seen more often in various Mazdas during the past few years.
I am only speculating other people dont look but have leaks never reported.
Only Mazda and dealers knows how many are reported but I agree it is annoying problem.

So yours had oil pan replaced with revised oil pan without doing anything on timing chain cover? Have you checked recently if the oil leak from chain cover could be there?

Checked a few weeks ago, seemed dry. But like I said before, we have a major cold snap starting Wednesday (subzero). Let's see what happens afterwards. Seems to leak after a cold spell. These oil leaks are ridiculous, I only have 27k miles on the engine. I had 3 Toyotas and all were bone dry, including the one I ran for almost 300k miles.

quick update. Car is at the dealer.
Timing chain cover leak.
Will post more after I get it back.

p.s. Oil pan should be removed from what I see in the cx5 repair guide, so that should be new sealant for it as well.

Dealer is going to pull motor and replace the rear main seal. I'll deal with the timing chain cover issue after this one is addressed. This one is the major one that needs to be fixed ASAP.

They will need the car for 2-3 days. I have a '18 Mazda 3 hatch on loan.

IMO: Seats in 3 seem noticeably more comfortable than the ones in my CX-5.

Dealer is going to pull motor and replace the rear main seal. I'll deal with the timing chain cover issue after this one is addressed. This one is the major one that needs to be fixed ASAP.

They will need the car for 2-3 days. I have a '18 Mazda 3 hatch on loan.

IMO: Seats in 3 seem noticeably more comfortable than the ones in my CX-5.

I'd push for both. Timing cover would be more easily accessed while engine is out, maybe a more thorough job while it's out.

I'd push for both. Timing cover would be more easily accessed while engine is out, maybe a more thorough job while it's out.

I hear ya but lost my chance at the time...

I was looking in the FSM and it doesn't show the engine being removed but shows the transmission coming out for replacement of this seal. If that is the case glad I had not serviced the AT yet as part of the FSM instructions on AT removal are to drain it. If that is the case a lot comes off the car to change this seal.

78912.png

I will be keeping a close eye on the timing cover leak regardless.

Closest seal they can obtain is from California so vehicle might not be done until Thursday or Friday.

seeing the block is a split 2 part design (from the other forum thread) ..kind of makes sense to me now...technically both sides seem like weak spots. "front" and "rear"
Hopefully your issues will be resolved once and for all.

Back