Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

They just did!! It's called the GTR and Sig.

Gee, the cars haven't been on US soil for a month and guys are whining that they want more. (most of whom haven't even driven a 2.5T CX-5 yet.)

Yes, I'd love to see Mazda do something like what Audi did with the SQ5 but there's only so much a small/resource limited company like Mazda can do. I think Mazda will want to see how the CX-5 2.5T's do in the market before they go much further. Given the very limited production of the CX-5 2.5T's, I think they are proceeding with great caution.

I previously had a 2016 SQ5 as my daily driver for 1 year and about 22K miles. The engine and power was fantastic but the transmission logic sucked and didn't match well with the engine output.

IMG-6637-2.jpg

Our 2017 CX5 has a much better balanced powertrain than the previous gen SQ5 did. For the money and considering the relative size of Mazda, I appreciate our CX5 considerably more than the SQ5, and definitely more than any of its direct competitors. The only "performance" SUV/CUV I would consider is a Macan (the PDK is awesome) and maybe the BMW X3M when it comes out (or a leased Stelvio).

We did upgrade the wheels and tires on our CX5 which reduced the weight at each corner by 7 pounds. This did help acceleration and cornering ability quite a bit (looks 100% better too). We will eventually do coilovers to eliminate some of the body roll and then we are set.

Also, the general consensus on this forum a year ago was that Mazda would never put the 2.5T in the CX5. I applaud Mazda for making this improvement as it keeps the CX5 competitive in the quick growing CUV segment.

What continues to frustrate me about these conversations is the refusal by some to realize that Mazda is in transition and not a big enough company to offer it all at once.

Give them a few years to build up the entry luxury brand reputation, and THEN maybe start calling for performance trims.

Nailed it right on the head. To put some speculation to rest:

"Mazda's new global boss, Akira Marumoto, told Australian motor journalists at the Los Angeles show that there won't be an MPS in the cards. As Drive quotes Marumoto: 'Mazda is a small player, and if [you are asking whether] that segment has a high particular priority for Mazda, my answer would be no. Therefore we not planning for MPS in the future.'

Marumoto stated that Mazda would rather establish itself as a genuine premium carmaker comparable to its European rivals, stressing that this would be achievable through quality, comfort and refinement improvements in the existing lineup rather than expanding into other segments.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/03/mazda3-mazdaspeed-mps-hot-hatch/

We can still wish for a rebirth though. Maybe something like a Mazda 3Z, or CX-5Z (for "Zoom"). Corny as all hell, I know, but Mazda is well-known for their Zoom Zoom slogan since they started using it in 2000. I feel like it could be offered like this:

-sport
FWD or AWD, 2.5 NA, 6-speed auto with manual option, cloth interior, 4-way manually adjustable seats, back up cam, AA/ACP, piano black trim, GVC+, other basic features

-touring
Sport plus: memory seating (driver's side only) with 4-way power adjustable seats, heated seats, 360 cam, Mazda's safety suite, larger infotainment screen with navigation.

-mazdaspeed or equivalent
Touring plus: AWD-only, factory-tuned 2.5T, HUD optional, automatic 6-speed with manual option, LSD, bigger and better brakes, CF or brushed aluminum interior trim, an appearance package (that includes a leather seat option), and "sport-tuned suspension" i.e. springs, dampers, upgraded front and rear sway bars, lighter wheels and better tires.

-grand touring
Touring plus: AWD 2.5T (same found in CX-9), auto 6-speed, 10-way power adjustable memory seats (driver and passenger), heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors, HUD, MRCC with Start and Stop, LED headlights and taillights, larger wheels.

-signature
GT plus: nappa leather, autodimming frameless rear-view mirror, wood trim, sound deadening and acoustic glass, chrome trim pieces, LED interior and exterior accent lighting, etc.

^^ organizing these features was a fun way to spend a few minutes :)

Last edited:
We did upgrade the wheels and tires on our CX5 which reduced the weight at each corner by 7 pounds. This did help acceleration and cornering ability quite a bit (looks 100% better too).

7lbs from each corner? Can you share the combo you went with?

I previously had a 2016 SQ5 as my daily driver for 1 year and about 22K miles. The engine and power was fantastic but the transmission logic sucked and didn't match well with the engine output.

IMG-6637-2.jpg

Our 2017 CX5 has a much better balanced powertrain than the previous gen SQ5 did. For the money and considering the relative size of Mazda, I appreciate our CX5 considerably more than the SQ5, and definitely more than any of its direct competitors. The only "performance" SUV/CUV I would consider is a Macan (the PDK is awesome) and maybe the BMW X3M when it comes out (or a leased Stelvio).

We did upgrade the wheels and tires on our CX5 which reduced the weight at each corner by 7 pounds. This did help acceleration and cornering ability quite a bit (looks 100% better too). We will eventually do coilovers to eliminate some of the body roll and then we are set.

Also, the general consensus on this forum a year ago was that Mazda would never put the 2.5T in the CX5. I applaud Mazda for making this improvement as it keeps the CX5 competitive in the quick growing CUV segment.

Totally agree...

The only thing missing or could benefit the current CX-5 is an 8 speed transmission. The 6 speed is a good one, but the 8 speed is the way to go in the long run, and it too probably eventually happens imo...

not to attack you but I don't think mazda wants to go the "performance" way. I think they just slap the 2.5T to satisfied the costumers who have own a cx5 and spoke out loudly that a 2.5T engine would make them stay with mazda. Mazdaspeed is officially dead, RX-ANY is dead. they're not going that way anymore and I doubt we will get any performace trim/ add ons or anything from mazda any time zoom or at all. they most likely want to go against luxury brands interior wise, materials used and everything else except performance. im sure the 2.5T will go to the mazda3 next. they're testing waters carefully. theyre too much of a small company to throw everything at us in one shot. I mean ofcourse we would all love a performace trim or atleast add ons but unfortunately I don't think that will be the case anytime soon.

I would agree with you 100% except for the fact that the Mazda 3 hatch appears to be a performance aimed product. Maybe not earthshattering now, but they made it with some level of sportiness in mind, and it has AWD and a manual, which is absurdly rare in today's world, so that seems to bode well.

Nailed it right on the head. To put some speculation to rest:

"Mazda's new global boss, Akira Marumoto, told Australian motor journalists at the Los Angeles show that there won't be an MPS in the cards. As Drive quotes Marumoto: 'Mazda is a small player, and if [you are asking whether] that segment has a high particular priority for Mazda, my answer would be no. Therefore we not planning for MPS in the future.'

Marumoto stated that Mazda would rather establish itself as a genuine premium carmaker comparable to its European rivals, stressing that this would be achievable through quality, comfort and refinement improvements in the existing lineup rather than expanding into other segments.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/03/mazda3-mazdaspeed-mps-hot-hatch/

We can still wish for a rebirth though. Maybe something like a Mazda 3Z, or CX-5Z (for "Zoom"). Corny as all hell, I know, but Mazda is well-known for their Zoom Zoom slogan since they started using it in 2000. I feel like it could be offered like this:

-sport
FWD or AWD, 2.5 NA, 6-speed auto with manual option, cloth interior, 4-way manually adjustable seats, back up cam, AA/ACP, piano black trim, GVC+, other basic features

-touring
Sport plus: memory seating (driver's side only) with 4-way power adjustable seats, heated seats, 360 cam, Mazda's safety suite, larger infotainment screen with navigation.

-mazdaspeed or equivalent
Touring plus: AWD-only, factory-tuned 2.5T, HUD optional, automatic 6-speed with manual option, LSD, bigger and better brakes, CF or brushed aluminum interior trim, an appearance package (that includes a leather seat option), and "sport-tuned suspension" i.e. springs, dampers, upgraded front and rear sway bars, lighter wheels and better tires.

-grand touring
Touring plus: AWD 2.5T (same found in CX-9), auto 6-speed, 10-way power adjustable memory seats (driver and passenger), heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors, HUD, MRCC with Start and Stop, LED headlights and taillights, larger wheels.

-signature
GT plus: nappa leather, autodimming frameless rear-view mirror, wood trim, sound deadening and acoustic glass, chrome trim pieces, LED interior and exterior accent lighting, etc.

^^ organizing these features was a fun way to spend a few minutes :)

I'm not opposed to it, but they will have to rename themselves or create another division, because "Mazda" just isn't a name that can pull it off.

Toyota...Lexus
Honda...Acura
Chevrolet...Cadillac
Chrysler...commit toasterbath

Even though the Hyundai Genesis G80/90 is a well thought out and expensive vehicle, I only hear of it competing with BMW and Mercedes on checklists of features, not in anyone's actual purchasing considerations.

I'm not opposed to it, but they will have to rename themselves or create another division, because "Mazda" just isn't a name that can pull it off.

Toyota...Lexus
Honda...Acura
Chevrolet...Cadillac
Chrysler...commit toasterbath

Even though the Hyundai Genesis G80/90 is a well thought out and expensive vehicle, I only hear of it competing with BMW and Mercedes on checklists of features, not in anyone's actual purchasing considerations.

Well, In this thread alone there are several people considering/buying CX-5 who also shopped BMW, Audi, etc. Obviously they have more work to do, but Mazdas reputation is already fastly rising.

It doesnt require a rename. Audi was a niche European brand like Saab before targeting BMW and Mercedes about a decade ago. Now look at them. No new name. Ten years from now, I highly suspect Mazda will share a similar story.

Again, I cant say emphasize enough that Mazda is in transition, which takes time. Wait 4-5 years before judging.

20x8.5 ET35 TSW Sprint in gunmetal
245/45/20 BFG g-Force Comp 2 A/S
Weight: 59.4 pounds

20180916-150524-HDR.jpg

That looks fantastic.

Now that I've learned some more about wheels/tires, I am totally going to be getting some different wheels/new tires in a better size like that than these OEM 17s I have now next time I am due for some new all-seasons.

Well, In this thread alone there are several people considering/buying CX-5 who also shopped BMW, Audi, etc. Obviously they have more work to do, but Mazda*s reputation is already fastly rising.

It doesn*t require a rename. Audi was a niche European brand like Saab before targeting BMW and Mercedes about a decade ago. Now look at them. No new name. Ten years from now, I highly suspect Mazda will share a similar story.

Again, I can*t say emphasize enough that Mazda is in transition, which takes time. Wait 4-5 years before judging.

But he has a point. Many people don't realize that Lexus is Toyota and their Infinity EX35 is basically a Nissan Rogue. People pay for luxury.

Mazda once was going to create the Amanti brand - but that was a stupid name. I don't think (currently) that Mazda has the size to spin off a different brand, but hopefully it will some day.

But anybody have a name?

But he has a point. Many people don't realize that Lexus is Toyota and their Infinity EX35 is basically a Nissan Rogue. People pay for luxury.

Mazda once was going to create the Amanti brand - but that was a stupid name. I don't think (currently) that Mazda has the size to spin off a different brand, but hopefully it will some day.

But anybody have a name?

Yea, he has a solid point. Also the said Audi he mentions is basically a VW. Hell a lot of them are built on the same platform, and the VW version could actually be the better car in some cases. Like my old Passat, I*d never own another one, but it fits the bill...

Back