Test drove a '19 GT-R and Signature today

Yes on the speed CX-5- hell even its just an optional (but real not just appearance) sports package on top of the reserve- I'd much rather blow 2k there than on nicer leather, wood trim and parking sensors

Count me in as well. $2k would get us a Chris Top Her Edition, and I really dig that...

After driving my 2.5T Sig, I don't think they need to do anything with handling/suspension. I think it was over engineered in the regular 2.5 and there's nothing about it that's deficient in the 2.5T. It handles like a dream in any driving situation I've yet to encounter. (ex: GVC)

Tires/wheels - maybe. The Toyo A36 reviews seem kind of mediocre. A 3 season performance tire might be nice.

Yes, I'd love to see more aggressive styling. Mazda already has it. They just need to bring it to the US, add the 2.5T and Signature trim. It's their CX-4.

The G-Vector plus is supposed to work through brake action, do you feel anything weird going on or it is just seamless? I think the wider and offset tires that many people run would look great on the CX-5 Sig.

So then would typical trim levels be something like this?

-sport
-touring
-grand touring
-grand touring - reserve
-signature
-mazdaspeed

this will definitely up the price point for those who want the mazdaspeed version, and probably lead to a lot of complaints, why so high $$$ especially if some people are already complaining about the price of the Signature version now.
I guess the mazdaspeed version will be similar to the mercedes AMG's and bmw M's

This is would be really nice to have, hopefully Mazda can actually have a market for this trim where people will actually buy it. The worst is producing it and no one buying it.

^^ No Mazdaspeed version will be made. Mazda wants to stay away from Racer boy crowd and aim for entry level lux crowd. Can't fault them - it is keeping the lights on. 2.5T was put in the CX-5 because it was readily available. Wasnt specially tuned for CX5. Was originally made for CX-9. Again an astute move by Mazda.

So far Mazda is one of few seeing positive gains along with Volvo / Tesla / FCA / Subaru. Market is getting tough. So important to get the 3 right for Mazda.

^^ No Mazdaspeed version will be made. Mazda wants to stay away from Racer boy crowd and aim for entry level lux crowd. Can't fault them - it is keeping the lights on. 2.5T was put in the CX-5 because it was readily available. Wasnt specially tuned for CX5. Was originally made for CX-9. Again an astute move by Mazda.

So far Mazda is one of few seeing positive gains along with Volvo / Tesla / FCA / Subaru. Market is getting tough. So important to get the 3 right for Mazda.
Honest question...why is the "boy racer crowd" the only crowd a Mazdaspeed would appeal to? Seems plenty people here would like one.

I think if mazdaspeed is marketed correctly it CAN be the next AMG or the M brand.
but how many will go for this when the price point jumps up and up?
Luxury brands seem to offer a tuned sport version and i have a feeling Mazda wants to offer this too, but with limited resources we might have to just wait it out unfortunately.

Honest question...why is the "boy racer crowd" the only crowd a Mazdaspeed would appeal to? Seems plenty people here would like one.

It doesn*t...*Entry level lux crowd* like he refers to have *Mazdaspeed* type tuned vehicles, and they work, and sell...

I doubt we will get it, but we should, and if we would, I*d probably get over the new looks and possibly splurge...

If they do offer a more sporty version ala M, AMG, itll come with a new moniker. Mazdaspeed is dead as we know it. And the only way to break free from the boy racer association is a rebirth.

After driving my 2.5T Sig, I don't think they need to do anything with handling/suspension. I think it was over engineered in the regular 2.5 and there's nothing about it that's deficient in the 2.5T. It handles like a dream in any driving situation I've yet to encounter. (ex: GVC)

Tires/wheels - maybe. The Toyo A36 reviews seem kind of mediocre. A 3 season performance tire might be nice.

Yes, I'd love to see more aggressive styling. Mazda already has it. They just need to bring it to the US, add the 2.5T and Signature trim. It's their CX-4.

If it's anything like the 2.5NA version, yeah, it needs lots of love. My CX5 does okay, pretty well, really. Very balanced. But if it made another 70hp or so, I'd be appalled if they didn't improve the handling and brakes substantially.

So then would typical trim levels be something like this?

-sport
-touring
-grand touring
-grand touring - reserve
-signature
-mazdaspeed

this will definitely up the price point for those who want the mazdaspeed version, and probably lead to a lot of complaints, why so high $$$ especially if some people are already complaining about the price of the Signature version now.
I guess the mazdaspeed version will be similar to the mercedes AMG's and bmw M's

This is would be really nice to have, hopefully Mazda can actually have a market for this trim where people will actually buy it. The worst is producing it and no one buying it.

Nah, the MS version should be a stand-alone package like the Sport backage was on my 370Z. You could get it at any trim level. It's suspension and brakes and rims and tires and diffs and the like. Should be independent of what's in the interior.

Nah, the MS version should be a stand-alone package like the Sport backage was on my 370Z. You could get it at any trim level. It's suspension and brakes and rims and tires and diffs and the like. Should be independent of what's in the interior.

AHHH...kind of like the BMW "M" sport package or "A Spec" for Acura?

AHHH...kind of like the BMW "M" sport package or "A Spec" for Acura?

Correct. And if all we are adding is things like rims, suspension components, and dress up parts, it would work that way, however, I would want to have some power adders, which would only be fair to do in upper trim levels.

Need not 'only' appeal to boy racer crowd. It will primarily though.
Problem with boy racer crowd is -
Warranty costs are high - due to owners modding cars heavily and undoing those mods if something breaks.
Less revenue for dealers - owners do their own oil changes. Dealers can't sell $50 air filters.
Less money to spend than entry lux owners.

Maybe one day in the future Mazda would venture there.

It doesn*t...*Entry level lux crowd* like he refers to have *Mazdaspeed* type tuned vehicles, and they work, and sell...

I doubt we will get it, but we should, and if we would, I*d probably get over the new looks and possibly splurge...

I am hinting at an older demographic. Yes you might see some modified IS250s and ES350s, but primarily its an entry level sensible luxury vehicle.

I am hinting at an older demographic. Yes you might see some modified IS250s and ES350s, but primarily its an entry level sensible luxury vehicle.

Now your talking about modifying them after the fact of purchase. Totally different...

Plus, I and many others here I believe fit your older demographic...

Need not 'only' appeal to boy racer crowd. It will primarily though.
Problem with boy racer crowd is -
Warranty costs are high - due to owners modding cars heavily and undoing those mods if something breaks.
Less revenue for dealers - owners do their own oil changes. Dealers can't sell $50 air filters.
Less money to spend than entry lux owners.

Maybe one day in the future Mazda would venture there.

Everything you just said can be said about any buyer or vehicle. How do you know they would have *less money than entry level lux owners.* It*s been said that the average CX-5 owner makes close to $90k a year. Sounds like you*re prejudging buyers when in all honesty you have no clue who would buy it. It ain*t just *boy racers* I can for sure tell you that...

Last edited:
I think if mazdaspeed is marketed correctly it CAN be the next AMG or the M brand.
but how many will go for this when the price point jumps up and up?
Luxury brands seem to offer a tuned sport version and i have a feeling Mazda wants to offer this too, but with limited resources we might have to just wait it out unfortunately.

Few at first. What continues to frustrate me about these conversations is the refusal by some to realize that Mazda is in transition and not a big enough company to offer it all at once.

100% agree. Give them a few years to build up the entry luxury brand reputation, and THEN maybe start calling for performance trims.

Its obvious to me that theyre working that way by offering five trims this year. My guess is that the sport and touring trims get dropped over time.

Back