SoulArmored CX-5 Build

BFG Sport Comp 2 Review:

I want to first say this isn't going to be a review on the performance aspects per say on these tires. Several tests online and on YouTube if want to see the capability of these tires. I've been able to put over 1k miles on them so far and I'm happy with them. Handling is greatly improved and steering feel is much nicer. Noise; yes there is noise but it's different because there was definitely noise with the factory Yokohamas. These tires are noisier at lower speeds under 40mph but quieter than the Yokohamas above 40mph. Running Nitrogen filled at 35psi. Comfort has not been compromised at all either with 17s vs 19s. Both my wife and myself feel the Mazda rides just as good if not better with this new setup. Gas mileage has gone down an average of 1mpg. These are max performance summer tires so rolling resistance is going to much greater so that was expected. This setup is much lighter than the factory 19 and much wider. So I would say my MPG is on par with or better than a Grand Touring model with factory 19s. Overall I'm very happy with the tires and for the price I paid for them. I would both recommend and buy again. Will update over time with mileage.

Keep up on my build and recommendations you guys may have!

Thanks,
Evan

Last edited:
BFG Sport Comp 2 Review:

I want to first say this isn't going to be a review on the performance aspects per say on these tires. Several tests online and on YouTube if want to see the capability of these tires. I've been able to put over 1k miles on them so far and I'm happy with them. Handling is greatly improved and steering feel is much nicer. Noise; yes there is noise but it's different because there was definitely noise with the factory Yokohamas. These tires are noisier at lower speeds under 40mph but quieter than the Yokohamas above 40mph. Running Nitrogen filled at 35psi. Comfort has not been compromised at all either with 17s vs 19s. Both my wife and myself feel the Mazda rides just as good if not better with this new setup. Gas mileage has gone down an average of 1mpg. These are max performance summer tires so rolling resistance is going to much greater so that was expected. This setup is much lighter than the factory 19 and much wider. So I would say my MPG is on par with or better than a Grand Touring model with factory 19s. Overall I'm very happy with the tires and for the price I paid for them. I would both recommend and buy again. Will update over time with mileage.

Keep up on my build and recommendations you guys may have!

Thanks,
Evan

Cool write up. At only 1k I'd expect them to tone done after say around 2-3k miles.

BFG Sport Comp 2 Wet Review:

After some more time in with these tires, namely the wet, I thought it would be good to add insight to the Comp 2. Living in Florida it rains and usually when it rains it pours. So this leaves me with a good experience and testing ability. I even did some slalom and heavy brake testing. These tires deliver. Driver confidence was noticed not only by myself but also my wife. She especially noticed the improved steering feel and braking both wet and dry. The Comp 2 are noisier in rain but I can't accurately say that's due to the tire itself or the width of these compared to the factory Yokohamas. It should be noted that my wife has not said anything in regards to noise. I also feel these really brought out the best of the H&R springs, bringing out driver confidence, improved safety and overall enjoyment because well... driving matters.

Thanks guys!

-Evan-

Brakenetic Rotor Initial Review:

The next step for the CX5 was the brakes. Working at dealers and a performance shop over the years I've got to install a lot of brakes from OEM to Big Brake Kits. Brakenetic is a company out of California and one I had not used prior. They were very helpful and willing to answer all questions on both phone and email.

Initial Review is just the visual and structural quality so far. These are made from G3500 grade casting which is higher than many other brands. What really sold me on these is the black coated hub's which is not only done on the outside but inside hub and the rotor veins themselves. I have never seen this on any other rotor. Rotors look beautiful in the slotted design and these also have a few more slots than other rotor designs as well which aesthetically I like. I did get both the front and rears.

Install / Review Soon!

Those rotors look beautiful! can you provide some more info on them? I don't see mazda listed on their website so what or how did you order these? I hate the rust coming thru on my rotor hats and want to either paint them or replace them. How much did these cost? Also what is the benefit and trade off with going slotted? Do they wear the pads faster? I imagine they help keep the pads cooler and look good but at what cost?

Brake Upgrade Update:

These are indeed Centric Premium Blanks that get the machining done at Brakenetic. I called them and talked to them regarding getting a set for CX5. They have them for several applications. I have another set on the way for my brother's 14' SI. Got these installed and will take pictures this weekend. Fitment was excellent. It is worth noting that the front rotors are 1lb less each than factory which some may see as good or bad. The weight savings definitely seems to be in the hat rather than the rotor as there was no difference in thickness. Weight difference was marginal for rears.

Centric Posi Quiet Pads:

Special Note:

CX5 pads are all the same for the front but the rears are different for the 2016+ model that use the electronic ebrake. The new pads are a good bit bigger than previous models. Rotors are the same for all models in US. I cannot speak for other countries or Diesel.

hi Soul armor,

I came across this thread and googled h&r springs on cx5. The old pictures don't seem to work anymore.

Would you mind posting up a picture of the H&R springs on your cx5 so I can see how is the drop?

Thanks much.

hi Soul armor,

I came across this thread and googled h&r springs on cx5. The old pictures don't seem to work anymore.

Would you mind posting up a picture of the H&R springs on your cx5 so I can see how is the drop?

Thanks much.

Damn, come to think of this this guy has been MIA... since October of 2017 it appears :s. You can view my build thread link in my sig; I have some pics on there.

This pic with the rice spoilers is on H&R, but all 20x8.5 wheel et40 with 255/55/20 tires I believe.

QkL4QIB.jpg

Last edited:
hi Soul armor,

Attachments

• H&R#2.jpg
    H&R#2.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 144
  • H&R#1.jpg
    H&R#1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 143
Thanks Chris! Top work! I will ping you offline for some questions.

Paris1 - Thanks. How is the ride of the H&R springs? The drop does not look too aggressive but just enough.

Back