Do tires even matter?

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
This thought came to my mind as I tried to get home the other day and slid off the road several times (doing 1-2mph, the road simply would not support my car. Even sitting still, it would slide off the road). No damage done. (No, I did not make it home, I had to sleep at work).

I got out, walked to the center-line (no traffic...obviously), and I myself began sliding. I could not stop, and knew I would fall, so I went to ground there, controlled. I lay on my side like a baseball player making for Home, and I slid 15+ feet until I flew off the road and into the ditch.

I don't think a tire is made that can mitigate this unless carbide tipped studs, or chains, are involved. Am I wrong?

4WD SUV's didn't work out well, either. Picture taken near the road to my drive:

231z48.jpg

Having lived through a few ice storms - nothing will work except for staying off the road. Studded tires and chains, if legal will help, but i wouldn't want to depend on them.

A lot of it depends on what car you’re driving. There’s only so much a tire can do if the chassis and suspension isn’t making full use of the available traction. Not all cars perform equally.

Having lived through a few ice storms - nothing will work except for staying off the road. Studded tires and chains, if legal will help, but i wouldn't want to depend on them.

Staying off the road is not an option. I am looking into getting some chains. Are those "belts/zip ties" any good, or not so hot? Any recommendations?

A lot of it depends on what car you’re driving. There’s only so much a tire can do if the chassis and suspension isn’t making full use of the available traction. Not all cars perform equally.

The chassis isn't doing s***. Weight distribution and the logic/way the AWD system (which, in the CX5 sucks for ice, as it is reactive instead of proactive. You really want a Jeep, or Subaru, that is driving all 4 tires, not a 2WD that pops the rears from time to time after they are needed, but...I have a CX5, so that kindof went out the window when I sold my Jeep) are all that matter. You aren't going to be "loading" the chassis one bit, lol! Seriously, I STOOD in the road and slipped, fell, and slid. You won't be "loading" a chassis.

The chassis isn't doing s***. Weight distribution and the logic/way the AWD system (which, in the CX5 sucks for ice, as it is reactive instead of proactive. You really want a Jeep, or Subaru, that is driving all 4 tires, not a 2WD that pops the rears from time to time after they are needed, but...I have a CX5, so that kindof went out the window when I sold my Jeep) are all that matter. You aren't going to be "loading" the chassis one bit, lol! Seriously, I STOOD in the road and slipped, fell, and slid. You won't be "loading" a chassis.

I guess your body's "chassis" is s***! (rofl)

I guess your body's chassis is s***! (rofl)

ROFL! Actually, nah, I'm reasonably athletic. Hanging out in the low teens body fat % and well into the 1000# club. I simply started sliding, and knew if I didn't go to ground, I'd be t aken to ground sooner or later, and moving much faster! It was insane how slick the road was! It almost makes me want to go back with LX20's because of how well they actually did with that, I honestly couldn't have asked for more. I'm just searching for "mo betta!" in my quest for tires, but really like the use of Sunflower oil and so forth continental puts in the compound. On dry roads, my tires actually drip harder in 10*F weather than in 80*F weather, based on speed I can take the turns without loss of traction. It's pretty impressive!

you call that ice??? lol.... sorry uno... couldn't resist.

Ice Storm 1998 (up to 2" of ice on everything):

Maine:

Ice-Storm-Gyger-horiz.jpg

Boston:

366877717.jpg

Quebec:

Ice.jpg

Last edited:
ROFL! Actually, nah, I'm reasonably athletic. Hanging out in the low teens body fat % and well into the 1000# club. I simply started sliding, and knew if I didn't go to ground, I'd be t aken to ground sooner or later, and moving much faster! It was insane how slick the road was! It almost makes me want to go back with LX20's because of how well they actually did with that, I honestly couldn't have asked for more. I'm just searching for "mo betta!" in my quest for tires, but really like the use of Sunflower oil and so forth continental puts in the compound. On dry roads, my tires actually drip harder in 10*F weather than in 80*F weather, based on speed I can take the turns without loss of traction. It's pretty impressive!

ROFL, smart thinking.

I am NOT athletic, so my "chassis" is definitely s***.

Yeah I don't know if I want to still go the one tire for all year, or split winter/summer tires.

Decisions, decisions.

you call that ice??? lol.... sorry uno... couldn't resist.

Maine Ice Storm 1998 (up to 2" of ice on everything):

366877717.jpg

Ice.jpg

It honestly doesn't matter, I'd rather drive in your second photo than what I was in, because the roads where I was had just enough ice to cover 100% of the paved surface, it was clear, and slick as hell. With ice, it's quality and not quantity that make the hell. This was flawlessly smooth, no snow or anything on top, and slick as hell.

ROFL, smart thinking.

I am NOT athletic, so my "chassis" is definitely s***.

Yeah I don't know if I want to still go the one tire for all year, or split winter/summer tires.

Decisions, decisions.

I have to maintain my chassis for work, as well as the fact that I derive joy in athletic activities. Yes, decisions :( Dunno what tire I'll get at this point, lol

It honestly doesn't matter, I'd rather drive in your second photo than what I was in, because the roads where I was had just enough ice to cover 100% of the paved surface, it was clear, and slick as hell. With ice, it's quality and not quantity that make the hell. This was flawlessly smooth, no snow or anything on top, and slick as hell.

My driveway and paths around my yard are exactly what you describe. We keep getting rain and moderate temps during the days, then freezing temps at night. result = ice as smooth as glass. I have to wear stabilicers around my property.

I have to maintain my chassis for work, as well as the fact that I derive joy in athletic activities. Yes, decisions :( Dunno what tire I'll get at this point, lol

See I used to move around a lot and was fairly in shape, but now I sit on my ass all day. And the 80-100 work weeks sitting on my ass a couple years back didn't help.

I think $360 for a set of tires is pretty good, so it's making me lean down the split winter/summer tire plan, but not sure what I'd make my summer tire. My Michelin Latitude Tours are about spent. Though I think getting that winter set and then puting my Michelins back on in May will at least prolong them until next winter. They are probably between 5-6/32nd.

boi

Back