Maybe new CX-5 owner

:
2019 Mazda3 AWD Hatchback
Hi all,

I currently have a '15 Mazda 3s GT that the dealer has been bugging me to trade for about 6 months. I guess they've got some year-end and loyalty incentives going, because they finally quoted me a payment on a red 2017 CX-5 GT that I can live with. This dealer is itching to move cars this week. Going to there tomorrow to check out paperwork and leave a deposit if it all looks good. Kinda torn because I'm very happy with the 3, and I don't really want to give up any more performance; but I sorta need AWD here in the snowy northeast, and I've read nothing but good things about the '17 CX-5. I've been considering other options for a compact SUV, but it's kinda hard to top the Mazda for the money,and it seems like a decent step up all around from what I've got now.

Anyway, being the geek that I am, I figured I'd register here and get as much inside info as I can in case this deal actually happens.

Merry Christmas to all!

Hi all,

I currently have a '15 Mazda 3s GT that the dealer has been bugging me to trade for about 6 months. I guess they've got some year-end and loyalty incentives going, because they finally quoted me a payment on a red 2017 CX-5 GT that I can live with. This dealer is itching to move cars this week. Going to there tomorrow to check out paperwork and leave a deposit if it all looks good. Kinda torn because I'm very happy with the 3, and I don't really want to give up any more performance; but I sorta need AWD here in the snowy northeast, and I've read nothing but good things about the '17 CX-5. I've been considering other options for a compact SUV, but it's kinda hard to top the Mazda for the money,and it seems like a decent step up all around from what I've got now.

Anyway, being the geek that I am, I figured I'd register here and get as much inside info as I can in case this deal actually happens.

Merry Christmas to all!
You are going to love it. Merry Christmas!

I had a 2012 Mazda 3 and I traded it in for a 2016.5 touring AWD and have not looked back. Mileage is not that much less than the 3 and the insurance was less. We had some snow and freezing rain here and I live a steep hill, my CX5 did not even flinch and it has the stock tires.

I believe you want to stay with a 2017 CX-5 as Mazda has added Cylinder Deactivation to 2018 MY. Although its pricy, Id also get GT Premium Package for memory seat feature especially if you have multiple drivers.

Just drove our ‘17 CX-5 today in the snow and it drove straight as an arrow. Going from bare streets onto snow packed side streets showed no slipping at all. The awd system is very quick in response so that you don’t get any wheel slip.

I call BS.

You wont even notice it.
When you produce the same power with half the cylinders and half the displacement, you gain efficiency through a reduction in pumping losses. The reduction comes from pumping half the cylinder volume, and from a reduction in intake head loss due to the throttle being more open. Under the light load conditions when cylinders are deactivated, the turbo is practically doing nothing, so I think you would get roughly the same efficiency boost from cylinder deactivation regardless of whether there is a turbo.

Regarding whether owners will notice, that isn't the concern. The reason why cylinder deactivation has a bad reputation is the oil fouling issues that appear as the miles accumulate, resulting in misfires or worse. We won't be able to judge whether Mazda has solved these problems for a few years.
Except that the hydraulic lifters that collapse under de-activation sometimes get stuck. Old or dirty oil, things like that. Valves get gummed up with PCV crap that accumulates on them when they're not open. Piston rings get shot because the crap goes down the cylinder at activation, so you get oil consumption out of nowhere...
Unless they do things differently, but I think they don't.

So this is based only on making assumptions based on what other manufacturers have done or experienced (or at least some have reported as experiences or are also assuming: unless they do things differently, but I think they dont).

Isnt Mazda known to indeed do things differently, for example not use CVT when many of its competitors are? *Shrug* I am willing to take the risk with my 2018.

Last edited:
Not a bad choice if you have snow/weather to contend with.

Had to drive mine up through the mountains yesterday for Christmas dinner. No snow tires, had no slipping whatsoever on the few roads that still had snow and ice, and no issues getting out of the snow/ice packed and very steep/long driveway. This thing is a beast. The AWD is fantastic.

The COD has been in use in Europe for a while now and no issues. From what I understand they do not activate until you are at a higher speed cruise situation like a highway or autobahn.

Well, put down a deposit today, picking up a red 2017 CX-5 GT tomorrow morning. I'm sure I'm gonna miss the giddy-up of the 3, but I'm hoping the quiet and comfy improvements they made in this CX will make up for it. I hope this one treats me as good as the 3 did -- it's been the perfect combination of size, space, go-go (or is that zoom-zoom), looks, and driving fun.

Well, put down a deposit today, picking up a red 2017 CX-5 GT tomorrow morning. I'm sure I'm gonna miss the giddy-up of the 3, but I'm hoping the quiet and comfy improvements they made in this CX will make up for it. I hope this one treats me as good as the 3 did -- it's been the perfect combination of size, space, go-go (or is that zoom-zoom), looks, and driving fun.

Sweet! Congratulations and post pics when you pick it up!

Welcome to the forum from Long Island and congratulations on your new ride.
No question that you will miss driving the 3, both are Mazda, but drive in a very different way. It is not a complaint, just the fact that are two different vehicles.
Living on the other side of the Sound, the CX5 with AWD will give you the support and clearance to travel snowy and icy roads.
Looking forward to see the picture!!

Just one picture so far, and a short drive back to work from picking it up. But I'm already liking it a lot. Got Sirius/XM transferred, plunked in all my old favorites one at a time (I sure wish there was a way to transfer all your preferences from one vehicle to another like when you buy a new IPhone), and now I'm just looking forward to taking a long way home when I get out of this place.

Can't post a picture because Flickr that piece of crap won't give me a usable url. God I hate these image hosting sites.
Let's see if Smugmug does any better....

IMG_0002-M.jpg

Last edited:
Back