Suspension Upgrades

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
Hi all, anyone interested in making a quick thread on suspension upgrades? This thread will be focused purely on how to make your car go quicker and more effortlessly around corners, no power mods in sight here!

1. The first place you always start is high performance tires and a proper performance alignment. Mazda tuned the alignment well on this car, but if you want less understeer and better rotation, I recommend dialling in more negative camber on your front axle at an alignment shop. Make sure you talk to the guy tuning and ensure you find a number thats suited to how aggressive you corner so you dont get unevenly worn tires. If you like to take off from a start like a mad man, leave the front camber alone. (FWD owners)

2. Performance TIRES. This with an alignment are the most effective and prioritized mods that should be done to your car first.

3. Sway bars. For $500, this is the best mod you can do to your suspension. They keep body roll in check and improve steering precision without destroying your struts or causing a bad bouncy ride like lowering springs.

4. Coilovers - not necessary unless you push your car to the limit around every corner and find the stock suspension too soft and floppy. I will say that if you get good coilovers, you will not get any sort of penalty or reduction in ride quality yet the car will handle much more flat and planted then before. If you want to lower your car, this is the only right way to do it.

5. Now I dont think this upgrade is possible because someone on this forum claimed that the differential is in the transmission for FWD models, but upgrading to a LSD (limited slip differential) will help ALOT for aggressive cornering especially if you like to use throttle to power through the corners. It will also improve traction in other situations like starting off the line. This mod is not possible for AWD.

For the average driver, I recommend looking into step 1-3.

Last edited:
lol @ increased negative camber, coilovers and LSD on a daily-driver compact CUV.

I think you bought the wrong car man.

lol @ increased negative camber, coilovers and LSD on a daily-driver compact CUV.

I think you bought the wrong car man.

I have a Mazda 6. The sedan section of this forum is not as active as the CX-5 section.

I thought your dad had the Mazda 6?

Well yea, but Im looking to start modding the car soon. We switch cars back and forth with my BMW so often I dont know which car is whos by this point. Next time he gets his Mazda back, its going to have sway bars and an ECU tune.

I heard that big sway bars had a negative impact on off-road ability. Is that true?

I heard that big sway bars had a negative impact on off-road ability. Is that true?

Probably yes. Its designed to connect the suspension together for more responsive handling response on pavement, so I imagine the fact that its not letting each side of the suspension do its own thing is a negative for off-roading.

Thanks, you answered the question that immediately came mind for me, which was: if sway bars are so great, why didn't Mazda include them from the factory? They obviously spent great engineering effort, development, and some money on vehicle dynamics for 2017.

The CX5 is not a 6. Sure they share a lot of the same parts but it is the same vehicle.

more people buy the CX-5 and scour this section of the forum then for the 6 sedan.

while there are a handful of knowledgeable enthusiasts on this section of the forum, the amount of clueless people who can't seem to comment anything constructive is plentiful.

Thanks, you answered the question that immediately came mind for me, which was: if sway bars are so great, why didn't Mazda include them from the factory? They obviously spent great engineering effort, development, and some money on vehicle dynamics for 2017.

all cars have sway bars, albeit small ones. upgrading to some thicker sway bars would help.

the reason why mazda didnt add overly thick sway bars is because everything has to match to the aggresiveness to the suspension. so the dampers and springs are a ltitle soft and compliant on your car, meaning that from the factory, for the average driver you do not need a huge aggressive sway bar. it is up to the customer to modify his ride/suspension components to his liking.

it's all based on how much you enjoy cornering your car, and how aggressively.

more people buy the CX-5 and scour this section of the forum then for the 6 sedan.

while there are a handful of knowledgeable enthusiasts on this section of the forum, the amount of clueless people who can't seem to comment anything constructive is plentiful.

How is it constructive to fill up this forum with tunes and tweeks for the Mazda 6?? I might as well start my own threads on how to properly tune the engine on a Cessna since the Cessna forums is not very active here.

And learn the difference and property usage of Then and Than!

Lol some of the comments here.. no sway bars (uhm). Apparently we bought the wrong car because my car came with a factory lsd (drive2). Yea I have coilovers (up from lowering springs). In Japan you can get cx5s from the dealer with lower suspension.
I have to agree with Mr. Molestors comment "
while there are a handful of knowledgeable enthusiasts on this section of the forum, the amount of clueless people who can't seem to comment anything constructive is plentiful" certain emphasis....

How is it constructive to fill up this forum with tunes and tweeks for the Mazda 6?? I might as well start my own threads on how to properly tune the engine on a Cessna since the Cessna forums is not very active here.

And learn the difference and property usage of Then and Than!

Im sorry, am I just missing some sort of key information on here? The CX-5 shares more parts with the Mazda 6 then it doesnt, how can you compare making a post about a Mazda 6 on a CX-5 forum to making a thread about Cessnas?

Lol some of the comments here.. no sway bars (uhm). Apparently we bought the wrong car because my car came with a factory lsd (drive2). Yea I have coilovers (up from lowering springs). In Japan you can get cx5s from the dealer with lower suspension.
I have to agree with Mr. Molestors comment "
while there are a handful of knowledgeable enthusiasts on this section of the forum, the amount of clueless people who can't seem to comment anything constructive is plentiful" certain emphasis....

1. You can get a factor LSD in Japan?

2. Did the Mazda 6 also come with lowered suspension as an option?

3. Sometimes I regret writing molestor as my username on here, sometimes I dont. Today was one of those days where I just didnt regret things so much. I must admit that I completely lost it when you referred to me as Mr. Molestor... thanks for the laugh.

by the way, Im curious if you noticed any difference switching to 5w30 oil in your car. Ive been meaning to ask you but kept forgetting.

Back