2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

I don't get the mirror reflection thing. My 2016.5 had the chrome vents and if I looked at the reflection I could see it. However, if I looked at the view in the mirror I didn't.

Nobody's mentioned it yet but you can see the vents on the 2017 model. Oh no!, where can I get some matt black vent paint.

⋯ Nobody's mentioned it yet but you can see the vents on the 2017 model. Oh no!, where can I get some matt black vent paint.
I did mention it in an earlier post.

Yeah he doesn't. And his TSB copy is also from Anchorman too ⋯ (joke)

If you really want to know what the black trim vent looks like, just find those interior pictures from 2015 CX-5 or prior. They look exactly the same like the chrome trim vent only looks black on trim. I personally wouldn't change them as they won't match the chrome trim center vents.

I also noticed this's still a problem on 2017 CX-5!

Sunroof stupidity

If you have the sunroof open in the tilt position and you want to open it fully, you have to first manually close the tilt and only then will it open.

How stupid is that? I've never seen a sunroof operate this way.

I've only seen them work this way. (Saabs)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sunroof stupidity

If you have the sunroof open in the tilt position and you want to open it fully, you have to first manually close the tilt and only then will it open.

How stupid is that? I've never seen a sunroof operate this way.

I almost hate agreeing with this as its such a minor nuisance..upside takeaway: if that is what we're complaining about we've already won:)

Last edited:
So one some cars you can just push and hold and it will close the tilt and then slide open? Is this something that inexpensive cars have or more of a lux feature? I've honestly never seen it work that way.

So one some cars you can just push and hold and it will close the tilt and then slide open? Is this something that inexpensive cars have or more of a lux feature? I've honestly never seen it work that way.

I have had some cheapo rental cars with sunroofs that operated like that. Unfortunately those cars were so forgettable that I forgot what they were.

I do like one touch sunroof features. Having to hold my arm up until it closes is awful......[emoji15][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

On my previous cars with sunroofs, if the sunroof was open in the tilt position, all you had to do to open it fully was to press the one touch open button and it slid fully open. Hey Mazda! Why no one touch close?

I'll admit that this is somewhat trivial but it's just another example (to me) of how Mazda doesn't sweat the details. Along with no one touch open buttons for the passenger windows and the lack of indicator lights throughout the interior along with the lack of retained accessory power. If the CX-5 GT wasn't their flagship model that would be a different story.

On my previous cars with sunroofs, if the sunroof was open in the tilt position, all you had to do to open it fully was to press the one touch open button and it slid fully open. Hey Mazda! Why no one touch close?

I'll admit that this is somewhat trivial but it's just another example (to me) of how Mazda doesn't sweat the details. Along with no one touch open buttons for the passenger windows and the lack of indicator lights throughout the interior along with the lack of retained accessory power. If the CX-5 GT wasn't their flagship model that would be a different story.
I have exactly the same feeling like you. This lack of some features although may be minor to some, but it's an indication of Mazda doesn't want to spend money to details. Without one-touch open/close feature, Mazda can save money by using cheaper motor mechanism without anti-pinch capability. The passenger side dash gap happened on 2017 CX-5 is another example of either poor design or cost cutting. This's penny wise pound foolish by Mazda as this definitely will hurt sales!

Mazda North American Operations are part to be blamed as some of the features you mentioned missing from US CX-5 actually are available in other regions.

The best sunroof control I've seen is the dial control on my 2001.5 VW Passat. You turn the knob to a preset position, and the sunroof will open to the degree the knob pointed or tilt open. It has no problem to switch from tilt to open position with a single knob turn.

And the inner shade doesn't open partially automatically when sunroof is tilted open is another thing should be there in our CX-5, like everybody else.

I have exactly the same feeling like you. This lack of some features although may be minor to some, but it's an indication of Mazda doesn't want to spend money to details. Without one-touch open/close feature, Mazda can save money by using cheaper motor mechanism without anti-pinch capability. The passenger side dash gap happened on 2017 CX-5 is another example of either poor design or cost cutting. This's penny wise pound foolish by Mazda as this definitely will hurt sales!

Mazda North American Operations are part to be blamed as some of the features you mentioned missing from US CX-5 actually are available in other regions.

The best sunroof control I've seen is the dial control on my 2001.5 VW Passat. You turn the knob to a preset position, and the sunroof will open to the degree the knob pointed or tilt open. It has no problem to switch from tilt to open position with a single knob turn.

And the inner shade doesn't open partially automatically when sunroof is tilted open is another thing should be there in our CX-5, like everybody else.

I agree. My 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen had the rotary sunroof control and it was the best I've seen yet.

Oh yeah, did I mention that all the VW windows, sunroof, and sunshade could be opened and closed by using the fob or by pressing the open/close button on the door handles?

Again, by paying attention to details such as these a much better vehicle will be the result.

I agree. My 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen had the rotary sunroof control and it was the best I've seen yet.

Oh yeah, did I mention that all the VW windows, sunroof, and sunshade could be opened and closed by using the fob or by pressing the open/close button on the door handles?

Again, by paying attention to details such as these a much better vehicle will be the result.

I agree. My Passat had the best sunroof as well. Was about the only thing good about the car, but it was nice...

I've only had my CX-5 for 3 months,but I keep finding small things that could easily be avoided or made to happen for pennies (most discussed here). With that said, I'm already leaning towards this will be my one and only Mazda, even if this one treats us well (it better)...

I agree. My Passat had the best sunroof as well. Was about the only thing good about the car, but it was nice...

I've only had my CX-5 for 3 months,but I keep finding small things that could easily be avoided or made to happen for pennies (most discussed here). With that said, I'm already leaning towards this will be my one and only Mazda, even if this one treats us well (it better)...
Yep, that sunroof rotary dial control is one of a few good things we can talk about on VW Passat ⋯ ;)

Like you, I'm also finding small things disappointed me on our CX-5 as the time goes by. I only hope our CX-5 won't be disappointing me on major components such as automatic transmission and LED headlights/DRLs after they're out of the warranty.

⋯ Again, by paying attention to details such as these a much better vehicle will be the result.
I believe this's not Mazda's philosophy to offer more nice amenities and spending money to pay attention to details. But this's limiting thier customer base and selling less vehicles than most other competitors as the result.

I think that the term I'm looking for is refinement. Mazda lacks this.

As Yrwel52 stated, penny wise and pound foolish.

Sure, my complaints are mostly about trivial things with the CX-5 but when there are lots of these trivial things they add up and become not so trivial after all.

If I had known then what I now know about the CX-5 back when I was car shopping I would have taken a harder look at the CX-5's competition. I test drove a VW Alltrack and liked it but my wife didn't like the way it looked, nether did I, but it was a MUCH more refined vehicle than the CX-5.

FYI, our 2012 Sportwagen TDI was bought back by VW because of the DieselGate debacle. The CX-5 was the replacement.

I liked the idea and look of the Alltrak but I wanted mine with a diesel! FU VAG! Never ever consider buying a keychain from them since scandal much less a 30+k vehicle. The CX5 is void of a some nice touches here and there but they got the things that matter most (to me) so right that I'm happy to close then open roof although I'm generally a tilt only kind a guy. The no retained power thing is much more annoying and senseless imo but overall nice affordable, cheap to own CUV that delivers on its promise of usability and being truly good to drive.

Last edited:
Yeah, the dieselgate thing left a bad taste but they did treat me right in the buyback. I had the TDI for 5 years and after the buyback, and the cash from Bosch, I was paid $4k shy of the purchase price. I do miss getting nearly 50mpg and the torque though.

I wish I could close the windows without having to start the engine. I like to leave the windows open on a hot day and sometimes close them if there is a chance of thunderstorms. A keyfob window up/down would be nice!

Latest posts

Back