2017 CX-5 drl question

Went to my Mazda dealer this afternoon trying to find out the 2016.5 inventory. I checked a 2017 CX-5 Touring on DRLs. There's a white light between inner amber parking light and outer projector LED headlight. I assume that white lights in between are DRLs for Sport and Touring. These in-between low intensity white LED lights apparently wired like those halo LED Signature DRLs on GT. Not sure if the headlights would be on as part of DRLs if the car is moving.

Should have taken photos and posted here :)

First of all - you got a 13,15,16 and 17 - Amazing.

Certainly didn't mean for it to come off as a brag... I'm also eternally trapped in car payments.

2nd no one is saying this is or is not a deal breaker. Like OP most of them are surprised and not in a good way. I would rather Mazda be honest and open about it - so folks who are on the fence can decide.
There could be US buyers who may opt for 3 hatch or a CX-3 instead or wait for 2018.
I know for sure - I would be pissed if I got a 17 risking fit and finish on early models and see that my DRL halo is just a headlight.

Understand what you are saying... I guess perhaps having been through the majority of the lineup, and having done the NY to Florida drive in the '15 CX-5... I know one example of a vehicle doesn't represent them all, but I would attest to the quality of the 2017. Mazda really got this right, and I really do mean it with the interior volume and the seats... they just didn't hit the DRL mark. I guess I meant it more as if you were torn between a 2016.5 and a 2017... I would say the pros of the 2017 outweigh the cons, as far as practicality of the vehicle goes, relative to the 2016.5... unless you are in the camp of hating the new styling.

If I wanted something to be annoyed at Mazda about, it would be the lack of traffic in the nav system.

Call me foolish but I try to look at the positive side of things to make myself happy. As fbwazoom & joe have pointed out, the DRL behavior does appear to be correct and as intended by design, based on the light bulbs diagram. However shocking/surprising this may be, and while the headlights are arguably stealing the show from the nice looking halo, they might actually make them look even nicer. These daytime headlights possibly invite more head turning to my sparkling new 2017 CX-5. (Disclaimer: the last part is fictitious, I'm not a 17 owner.)

I spent about $600 to 'sparkle-up' my '15 GT/Tech with LEDs. The DRLs on the Tech Pkg are only what would be considered the high beams but the B-Xenon HIDs don't use a separate halogen for high beam. I swapped out ALL exterior and interior bulbs for LEDs because I like STRONG turn signal and brake lights. The red LED bulbs behind a plastic ruby lens gives a very saturated ruby red light.

My 2017 GT w/Premium Pkg is on order but no word yet from the dealer. There are several GT/Premium in the External Blue Mica I specified in the area and I'm getting a bit impatient.

Yeah, I would prefer the halos only for DRL but... did I not read somewhere that all vehicles will switch to headlights at anytime the wipers are activated? Our state law says if your wipers are in use your headlights need to be on. The GT has the fully auto rain-sensing wipers. Has anyone experimented with DRL/LED headlight with the auto wipers on or off?

Just wondering... BTW, I've pulled the VLEDs LEDs out of my '15 prior to turning it back in. Next owner will get 'new' incandescants everywhere (except the fogs - I'll have no use for them). The 5K LED fogs match up much better with the 4.3K HIDs than halogens.

Yeah, I would prefer the halos only for DRL but... did I not read somewhere that all vehicles will switch to headlights at anytime the wipers are activated? Our state law says if your wipers are in use your headlights need to be on. The GT has the fully auto rain-sensing wipers. Has anyone experimented with DRL/LED headlight with the auto wipers on or off?

So does that mean that when you use the wiper washer, your lights come on for that period and then off?

So does that mean that when you use the wiper washer, your lights come on for that period and then off?

No. Different switch input when washing vs. wiping. Most motorist are pretty well aware of the rule and the vast majority comply. For the few which don't, then the auto function.

https://youtu.be/Xl1kH5wJqdg

The early portion of this video shows clearly how the light system works. You can see he has no other lights on and the headlight washes out signature DRL completely. Also no way those lights are dimmed in anyway as others have confirmed.

The early portion of this video shows clearly how the light system works. You can see he has no other lights on and the headlight washes out signature DRL completely. Also no way those lights are dimmed in anyway as others have confirmed.

3:02 to 3:10 shows DRL to be LED headlights included. 3:16 shows no rear lights on.

Hence USA spec version runs LED headlights as DRLs.

Maybe Mazda USA thought regular LED DRL's on this model were not strong enough (uhm)

Last edited:

Thanks! Incidentally just noticed ThePineappleNin's profile picture perfectly illustrates what a DRL without headlight on looks like (similar to some of the videos out there).

Went to my Mazda dealer this afternoon trying to find out the 2016.5 inventory. I checked a 2017 CX-5 Touring on DRLs. There's a white light between inner amber parking light and outer projector LED headlight. I assume that white lights in between are DRLs for Sport and Touring. These in-between low intensity white LED lights apparently wired like those halo LED Signature DRLs on GT. Not sure if the headlights would be on as part of DRLs if the car is moving.

Are you buying a 16.5? Or helping someone?

Are you buying a 16.5? Or helping someone?
No, this time is for ourselves. With the hail damage at about $10,000, we're considering to trade our 2016 in as is and get a new 2016.5 GT AWD with Tech. I was hoping they can order one from port but the sales manager checked and there's none left. So the only hope is finding one in surrounding Mazda dealers. The problem is it's very difficult to find an AWD CX-5 in Texas! My dealer has 32 2016.5's but all of them are FWD!

And I also found out my insurance company lowballed the damage estimates by using all available after-market parts including new hood、roof、fender、doors、even LED tail light assembly! The adjuster originally quoted me standard (no sensors) after-market windshield and non-LED after-market tail light assembly and I have to go back to claim center this afternoon asking them to change that! I really hate to use all after-market parts fixing our CX-5!

Oh. Sorry bud. Didn't know you were shopping. Yea... Finding a FWD is hard in northern Ohio.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So what do the non-led drls look like on a 2017? Any pics yet?
While at my Mazda dealer I asked salesman driving a 2017 CX-5 Touring so that I could observe what the DRLs look like when the vehicle is moving and take some pictures. Yes for Touring there's a LED DRL in between inner amber parking light and outer LED projector headlight. Unfortunately the DRL circuitry also connects to low-beam LED headlights and both of them are on just like 2017 GT with Signature LED DRLs when the CX-5 is moving during the daytime! That's too bad!

This thread has confused me so much! So, is the bottom line that the LED headlights are on all the time that the car is moving, whether day or night?

That's how ours works, RDK. But not the issue. For the 16, the LED Halo illuminates only in DRL mode. In the 17, the Halo AND the headlight illuminate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back