2017 CX-5 drl question

I see an opportunity for Corksport to provide a "headlight" delete option as to only show the DRL's.

It's seeming to get a bit tense in here over something like headlights and trim lines. Yes, I would prefer if my headlights did not operate in conjunction with the LED accent lighting we are calling the 'DRL' lights. BUT end of the day it's a far cry for a reason to not buy a 2017 GT.

I started with a 2013 GT, the thing was way underpowered. Moved onto a 2015 GT, finally had some power, but the TomTom radio still was junk. Then onto a 2016 (not .5), and I got the Mazda Connect that I wanted, but annoyed that there is no live traffic (and don't call the HD Radio Traffic Map application live traffic). Now I'm into my 2017, and for ALL the pluses of it, the headlight design is certainly not a deal breaker. The interior is quieter on the highway. The seats are actually comfortable for long drives. The interior build quality is higher (not that it was awful to begin with). I know from other threads the design changes are perhaps polarizing (I'm a fan of the re-design), but end of the day, if you find yourself liking the 2017 GT, the headlights should certainly not be a deterrent.

I see an opportunity for Corksport to provide a "headlight" delete option as to only show the DRL's.

I beat them to it. You have to disable DRL's with this stupid sequence of turning the lights on and off and the hazards on and off, and holding the brake, and the e-brake, and whitesmoking the front tires, etc.

Anyway, after disabling the DRL's, here are the results:

Off Position: Nothing is lit up on the outside of the vehicle when driving. Except when you apply brakes or use turn signals, of course.

Auto Position: Same, nothing lit at all, except all lights will come on normally once it is dark enough.

Accessory Position: Halo only, no headlight while driving. But...you do of course have tail lights and side markers lit during the day as well. This may be what we are seeing in some of the advertisements/videos

On Position: Self explanatory.

Definitely not a good solution because I think most would just like to set their lights to Auto and leave them alone and you would have no DRL's at all, which is fine I guess. I do like the option of having no front lights at all in certain situations, so that would be a plus. And I agree that the lights look fine the way they are, and especially at night. I just wanted to know if they were working the way they were intended.

Oh, and pretty sure now that the Japanese accessory "daylight kit" basically does what most thought the headlights would do in the first place. Lights the halo without any other exterior lights coming on. Cheers (cheers)

It's seeming to get a bit tense in here over something like headlights and trim lines. Yes, I would prefer if my headlights did not operate in conjunction with the LED accent lighting we are calling the 'DRL' lights. BUT end of the day it's a far cry for a reason to not buy a 2017 GT.

I started with a 2013 GT, the thing was way underpowered. Moved onto a 2015 GT, finally had some power, but the TomTom radio still was junk. Then onto a 2016 (not .5), and I got the Mazda Connect that I wanted, but annoyed that there is no live traffic (and don't call the HD Radio Traffic Map application live traffic). Now I'm into my 2017, and for ALL the pluses of it, the headlight design is certainly not a deal breaker. The interior is quieter on the highway. The seats are actually comfortable for long drives. The interior build quality is higher (not that it was awful to begin with). I know from other threads the design changes are perhaps polarizing (I'm a fan of the re-design), but end of the day, if you find yourself liking the 2017 GT, the headlights should certainly not be a deterrent.

First of all - you got a 13,15,16 and 17 - Amazing.
2nd no one is saying this is or is not a deal breaker. Like OP most of them are surprised and not in a good way. I would rather Mazda be honest and open about it - so folks who are on the fence can decide.
There could be US buyers who may opt for 3 hatch or a CX-3 instead or wait for 2018.
I know for sure - I would be pissed if I got a 17 risking fit and finish on early models and see that my DRL halo is just a headlight.

I beat them to it. You have to disable DRL's with this stupid sequence of turning the lights on and off and the hazards on and off, and holding the brake, and the e-brake, and whitesmoking the front tires, etc.

Off Position: Nothing is lit up on the outside of the vehicle when driving. Except when you apply brakes or use turn signals, of course.

Auto Position: Same, nothing lit at all, except all lights will come on normally once it is dark enough.

Accessory Position: Halo only, no headlight while driving. But...you do of course have tail lights and side markers lit during the day as well. This may be what we are seeing in some of the advertisements/videos

Definitely not a good solution because I think most would just like to set their lights to Auto and leave them alone and you would have no DRL's at all, which is fine I guess. I do like the option of having no front lights at all in certain situations, so that would be a plus. And I agree that the lights look fine the way they are, and especially at night. I just wanted to know if they were working the way they were intended.

Oh, and pretty sure now that the Japanese accessory "daylight kit" basically does what most thought the headlights would do in the first place. Lights the halo without any other exterior lights coming on. Cheers (cheers)

Saw some interesting options on the brochure:

Some type of speaker or woofer
Caliper color kits
Green Diesel cap/ Red Fuel cap
Paddle Shifters

Couldn't make up what the Daylight kit says though.

2nd no one is saying this is or is not a deal breaker. Like OP most of them are surprised and not in a good way. I would rather Mazda be honest and open about it - so folks who are on the fence can decide.
There could be US buyers who may opt for 3 hatch or a CX-3 instead or wait for 2018.
I know for sure - I would be pissed if I got a 17 risking fit and finish on early models and see that my DRL halo is just a headlight.

Well, I don't think anyone besides you and yrwei52 are that upset about it.

Any 17 owners actually pissed??? Your DRL's apparently look marginally less bad ass? Because, imo, they still look pretty bad ass all lit up. They still look better...then every other brand. Please tell me who has nicer DRLs? :D

Last edited:
Oh yeah? Well I think the design sucks! Bigly. There, that makes three. All together, and all for one!

three_amigos_film5_2086.jpg

Saw some interesting options on the brochure:

Some type of speaker or woofer
Caliper color kits
Green Diesel cap/ Red Fuel cap
Paddle Shifters

Couldn't make up what the Daylight kit says though.

I still think it's for those CX-5's that don't have it. But I have been pointed out that this is probably incorrect (uhm)

Thank you for doing the leg work and checking this out. Can you post where to find the procedure? Is it the same as 2016.5?

Daylight kit = Lights up the halo which basically is what the DRL should be.

Thanks for doing this. Should help quite a few people here.

For CX-5's that don't have what specifically? Sorry not following you.

My apologies for not being clear enough.

DRL's. Such as here in Australia. We have 5 models here, only the top 2 have DRL's. The rest don't.

The daylight kit can give those models DRL

Last edited:
Thank you for doing the leg work and checking this out. Can you post where to find the procedure? Is it the same as 2016.5?

No problem. I'm not sure if it is the same as previous years.

Last edited:
My apologies for not being clear enough.

DRL's. Such as here in Australia. We have 5 models here, only the top 2 have DRL's. The rest don't.

The daylight kit can give those models DRL

Oh, you could definitely be correct about that. I am still trying to find out.

A translation of the part's description might shed some light

Day light kit

Always light the LED position lamp. With the engine ON, only the LED position lamp lights, the meter and the center display do not dim, and the tail lamp does not light up. ※ OFF switch included. Brightness is the same as when the position lamp is lit.

Above is the only description I can find. It could definitely be a kit to turn on the headlight during the day (DRL), but the picture shows just a halo. And here is a video of a Toyota running a "daylight kit". Only the led surrounds come on and you can adjust the brightness. So I am confused. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku68uodcfNc

Well, I don't think anyone besides you and yrwei52 are that upset about it.

Technically speaking I too am upset that we're not seeing the more conventional "halo only" DRL, but that doesn't stop me from falling in love with the yet-to-be-owned 2017 model, given its many strengths. Will however be monitoring its recalls on more serious issues, if any, in the coming months.

Day light kit

Always light the LED position lamp. With the engine ON, only the LED position lamp lights, the meter and the center display do not dim, and the tail lamp does not light up. ※ OFF switch included. Brightness is the same as when the position lamp is lit.

Above is the only description I can find. It could definitely be a kit to turn on the headlight during the day (DRL), but the picture shows just a halo. And here is a video of a Toyota running a "daylight kit". Only the led surrounds come on and you can adjust the brightness. So I am confused. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku68uodcfNc

Having the Halo seems to equate to DRL.

Thanks for the translation :)

So what do the non-led drls look like on a 2017? Any pics yet?
Went to my Mazda dealer this afternoon trying to find out the 2016.5 inventory. I checked a 2017 CX-5 Touring on DRLs. There's a white light between inner amber parking light and outer projector LED headlight. I assume that white lights in between are DRLs for Sport and Touring. These in-between low intensity white LED lights apparently wired like those halo LED Signature DRLs on GT. Not sure if the headlights would be on as part of DRLs if the car is moving.

Back