What have you done to your Miata today?

Here's some pictures. Supercharger as unpacked:

33822250556_8f36dcd558_c.jpg

From there I had to install two mounting brackets and the throttle body before installing it. Here's the recoated rotors:

33822252136_143dbb5543_c.jpg

So pretty.

All the used parts were returned. The bearings were all rough to one degree or another, one of the front rotor bearings was about five minutes away from catastrophic failure:

33822254206_a55fbffdec_c.jpg

I dodged a huge bullet with this one. Good thing I have all those years of training myself to listen for out of the ordinary noises etc.

While I was putting it all back together I also installed the Mazda 626 Fiamm horns I bought. They are basically the same as the ones I had installed but with only one wire connection (the ground is done through the mounting stud). As I noted before I will have to grind down some on the rear 949 subframe brace as I heard it rubbing on the exhaust. I do like the RB muffler, it's quieter than the Brainstorm I had and seems a bit throatier as well.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Nice work Maff and Chief! That interior looks great with the Maaa-haaaa-ga-neeee exterior! Good catch on the SC too.

Did you buy the seat Bruce?

To stay on-topic, I drove mine to work in the rain. The G2 black caliper paint kit arrived and now I'm waiting on some MX-5 decals and nice weather so I can do some painting.

Hey Jeff. Yes I did. Found one in a salvage yard from an 06.

Cleaned it up and transferred some custom rear mounts.

Old on the right and new old on the left. Bolsters and recliner mechanism were toast.

18e47fcd96d7e6790f907d8a4d5d8b86.jpg
67240380d20235a4b48e55c70332bdd0.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Washed her this morning and then put her on jackstands. Once she was in the air, I removed the winter wheels and then cleaned/painted the calipers. The decals were just delivered so Ill put them on in the morning and then mount the summer rubber.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Damn Bruce, that's a lot of wear on your old seat. How many miles do you have?

Jeff, I guess you are counting on no more winter?

Maff, it is a Miata so only proper you refer to it as a queen.

Did a little Sunday modification. I decided that the radio I have is overkill for my use. There are a lot of threads on Miata.net about adding an aux-input to the factory radio, so I went about that. I already had the wire harness from my cassette deck to use, just had to buy some 4.7k ohm resistors along with the stock pocket for under the radio. Instead of using a jack to connect my phone I cut up a piece I had bought for the wife's car at one point with a 3.5mm mini plug. After researching which wire would go where, I sat down and commenced cutting things up. I used my new Dremel to make cuts in the side of the pocket for the switch (I used one of the same ones that I bought to control the antenna for my Nakamichi). This was followed by twisting wires and soldering them together. A little heat shrink and electrical tape and it was all together. The test came next to make sure everything worked before I buttoned it all up, it was a success! I slide the pocket in place first, due to the switch sticking out I had to angle it with the left side going in first, then snapped it in place. I ran the connection wire down the right side of the center console and then back to where it was going to come out. Put the stock radio in, that took a little finagling to get the wires in back out of the way so it would seat all the way. I then drilled a 3/8" hole in the front of the center console cubby, pulled the connection wire through, put a grommet on it and then into the hole. Here's pictures of the highlights:

33777543092_a927b1044c_c.jpg

33777542732_de39f0393a_c.jpg

33777543382_027a59ddff_c.jpg

If anyone is interested in doing this, go to M.net and search for aux-in or line-in mods. If you can't find them let me know and I can provide the links.

took me some time on Saturday and Sunday but its done now.

as you can see, the oem spoiler did a good bit of damage to the trunk lid and i didnt have any reservations about drilling holes into it.
33953881995_a07b435e98_z.jpg

got the middle strut mounted and thats where i took a break to eat dinner saturday and lost motivation lol
33110429244_007e9b59b3_z.jpg

view out the rear view mirror. im glad its tinted lexan and not solid black
33110428164_5af651b0ba_z.jpg

out and about getting breakfast yesterday morning
33140587793_0cbe317ced_z.jpg

Jeff, I guess you are counting on no more winter?

Maff, it is a Miata so only proper you refer to it as a queen.

Meh, I'm ready for summer and the skies were blue and the sun was shining and warm. If we get lower temps I can drive the 3, she still has her winter shoes on.

Nice work on the wiring job!

took me some time on Saturday and Sunday but its done now.

as you can see, the oem spoiler did a good bit of damage to the trunk lid and i didnt have any reservations about drilling holes into it.
got the middle strut mounted and thats where i took a break to eat dinner saturday and lost motivation lol
view out the rear view mirror. im glad its tinted lexan and not solid black

out and about getting breakfast yesterday morning

Looks great Levi!

Summer temps are finally here! Took advantage of the gorgeous weather over the weekend to do a few things. On Saturday I gave her a bath, followed by scrubbing the calipers with liberal shots of brake cleaner and a wire brush. Once cleaned, I painted them gloss black using the G2 kit. I stopped here to shower up before going to watch Kaila perform in her dance show. Sunday morning I installed her summer shoes....finally! In addition to painting the center caps ford royal blue, I painted a take-off set of OEM lugs the same and bought some Rays valve stems in magnesium blue. The finishing touch was a set of MX-5 brake caliper decals in metallic silver that I bought from RS Vinyl Graphics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some close up pics of the decals. I went with the metallic silver color and think it pairs nicely with the exterior metallic paint and chrome trim.

attachment.php

attachment.php

[ IMG]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17855042_1360533867341681_6864076516041186663_o.jpg?oh=43e2c6227cb5341f7edb2d3122608d05&oe=598D1197[/IMG]

[ IMG]https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17855459_1360534027341665_4720056546884359169_o.jpg?oh=7a6ed97329b24c5574b7987ee08dd79e&oe=5996725A[/IMG]

looks great Maff!

drove her to work today.
33130360404_5dffe96f19_z.jpg

Wheels turned out great Jeff.

Maff, you're looking more and more like a professional.

Levi, love that spoiler.

After installing the RB muffler, I was getting some contact between the exhaust piping and the rear 949 subframe brace when cold (thermal growth of the pipe when everything was hot made clearance). Removed it this evening and ground some more off that area (like I did before). After multiple test fits and grinding I ended up with enough clearance. Hit it with some semi-gloss black to prevent rust and reinstalled, one of these days I'll find some gold that matches the original paint and paint both the front and rear braces.

My nifty trunk organizer with the pockets didn't want to stay in place with the industrial Velcro I used. After a lot of searching I figured out what was used previously (at least I hope what was used). I tried ordering some double sided adhesive pads from a specialty supplier but their website was screwed up and they didn't answer my request for help. Off to Amazon I went, bought some 3M urethane double sided adhesive tape that is 1/8" thick. Since I didn't think to measure thickness of the old stuff I am hoping this will do the trick. It's arriving tomorrow so I'll know then. No pictures as I have basically done both of these jobs before.

Thanks Levi and Mike.

C'mon Mike, Maff is going to need a bigger helmet now. (rlaugh) In all seriousness though Maff, that first shot is so effin cool! All business and looking mean....love it!

Great pic Levi, I like that profile with the spoiler.

Fingers crossed the muffler won't bang against the bracing anymore Mike. Could always pull the braces and have them all powder coated gold? Good luck with the new tape as well! Oh yeah, did you see what TreasureCoastMiata has? Saw a pair of 2000 SE fenders f/s with badges for $100ea.

Last edited:

The car has 2 mileages, actual driving mileage is 160k with another 25k being towed behind my RV. The fabric for the seats is very thin.

Jeff, calipers look great, nice job.

Maff, nice job, car looks mean and nasty.

Back