What do you LOVE about your Mazda CX-5?

Perhaps true, but the Volvo suv (the cheaper one) is over $10,000 more expensive.

I had an S40, but I do a regular 3 hour drive. In the CX-5 I get a slight back twinge after and I didn't with the Volvo.

Still prefer the CX-5.

The handling. Far and away the best handling SUV I test drove. I test drove all but the real high end (Audi, Porsche ETC. and GM)

I drove 4. The Cherokee was a close 2nd, but the Mazda won out.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I love my CX-5, but the seats aren't that comfy. Volvo seats are way better. And the manual shift isn't as good as other marques in a similar class either.

Other than that, I'm not trading away my CX-5. It's a super car.

+1 re: the seats

I have the leather 8-way power seats. After 500 miles, I like them more than any of the seats in my 2012 Impreza, 1996 Talon (Mitsu Eclipse w/leather) and even better than the seats in the 2012 Outback. They are definitely better than the 10-way leather power seats in my 2006 Audi A4, whose seats were hard and flat, and made you want to slide off the front under heavy braking. I'd say the CX-5 seats are most similar to the Honda CRX's seats, which had nice side bolsters on seat and back, and with some 'cup' to keep your butt in place under braking.

The wife and I spent about 3 hours driving around a couple weeks ago. She's very outspoken about comfort, and made no mention of the seats at all. I didn't have any pains after that trip, and my joints inflame easily.

The chassis is pretty good. It's very good for mudding and the AWD system + sport suspension can be utilized for some really good cornering characteristics. There is also a decent aftermarket for it as well.

I had an S40, but I do a regular 3 hour drive. In the CX-5 I get a slight back twinge after and I didn't with the Volvo.

Still prefer the CX-5.

That's personal. I hated the seats in my Z06, loved the one's in my 370Z, but some guy on the 370Z forum said they bruised his tail-bone, allegedly, etc. and now these CX-5 seats, I find them "tolerable", but you absolutely have an issue with them. Seats are seats. Can't make everyone happy, sadly.

The chassis is pretty good. It's very good for mudding and the AWD system + sport suspension can be utilized for some really good cornering characteristics. There is also a decent aftermarket for it as well.

Say...what!? ROFL! no. After I destroyed a rear diff by simply crossing a 10" deep stream, you are not going to convince me anything about this vehicle except maybe the AWD logic is good for "mudding".

[*]I think it is the best looking CUV on the market and...

Agreed

[*]I love the 19 inch wheels

They look sharp as do the touring wheels

[*]The LED Headlights are simply awesome

Best lighting out there in that market bracket. I'll never have a vehicle again with

[*]Comfy seats

They're good, but TBH, at times I have to take my wallet out on long road trips

[*]Commander Control knob system and placement

I absolutely love the volume knob location.

[*]White dashbard lighting

The 'heartbeat' feature when you enter the vehicle is cool

[*]Back seat leg room

agreed

[*]Overall headroom

I'm short so headroom is not an issue.

[*]2.5 Liter engine provides plenty of juice

I think it's adequate, to everyone else I guess....I'm not an "enthusiast"

[*]SPORT mode!

Great for passing

[*]The look of the LED DRL's and Tails. I think most LED DRL lighting on cars is crap, Mazda class leader here IMO

Second to my M4

[*]Backup camera crisp and clear and colorful (after changing default options)

Yes

[*]It's easily one of the funnest to drive. The Zoom Zoom marketing angle isn't a joke...

Great for the 'Zoom-Zoom'

Additionally, the cross-traffic and blind spot assist are awesome. (My M4 doesn't even have cross-traffic :annoyed: )

OK then, Nice quality control Mazda!

LED manufacturing tech changes with production runs. If you inhabit fora like candlepowerforums, you'll see that LED tint vary all the time, and some people are driven nuts by this. Mazda has no realistic way to control this. They would have to measure the tint for every LED assembly. No manufacturer would do this, because you, the buyer, would have to pay, and refuse to pay, for a light assembly that would cost hundreds of dollars more than it already does.

LED manufacturing tech changes with production runs. If you inhabit fora like candlepowerforums, you'll see that LED tint vary all the time, and some people are driven nuts by this. Mazda has no realistic way to control this. They would have to measure the tint for every LED assembly. No manufacturer would do this, because you, the buyer, would have to pay, and refuse to pay, for a light assembly that would cost hundreds of dollars more than it already does.

Manufacturers likely select the binning and match them on singular vehicles, and swap a light at the factory if necessary, but this is indeed pretty accurate. I have high end weapon lights from Surefire that used to vary a good bit on tint. In fact, among the same model, 15% difference in output measured via a calibrated Integrated Sphere was noted by the technician I sent them to. Lately, Surefire's tint has become MUCH more consistent, though, and I actually notice more variance in lights I get from Gene Malkoff, now. Used to be, it was the opposite. That said, you nailed it, tints do vary. It is easily complained about if the car left the factory that way, but much harder to make a valid FEASIBLE argument against variance after the fact, with a separately sourced headlight.

Typically, I don't really notice anything less than a 2-300K shift, though. At least, not notably. Brightness difference is far harder to detect by the human eye.

The handling. Far and away the best handling SUV I test drove. I test drove all but the real high end (Audi, Porsche ETC. and GM)

I second this. The car is fun to drive, holds my bike both outside and inside the car with ease, looks good and gets great gas mileage.

Last edited:
I drive a CX5 2016.5 and a Camry SE -
there is a stretch of road that is kind of treacherous - it drops curves and the road itself twists a bit - like poorly constructed.
Mazda can do well even at 50 mph on it, Camry which is a sedan with sporty suspension fails to do that well - CX5 outhandles the sedan + 1

Negatives are:
When alternator kicks in the power goes way down, its not able to pull well. Not able to pass - I am talking with the pedal floored.
Going from 60 mph to 80mph Camry beats CX5 pretty significantly.

I agree this is city / ubran vehicle. Anyone not using it in that respect will see some mpg impact and stability issues on high wind days on the freeway.

Say...what!? ROFL! no. After I destroyed a rear diff by simply crossing a 10" deep stream, you are not going to convince me anything about this vehicle except maybe the AWD logic is good for

I don't go fjording streams in my cx5 though... my cx5 handles fine topped out and high speed/low speed sharp cornering. I would never take my car to cross a stream unless it was an emergency, I drive a *car* with (when oem) lifted suspension, not a truck deisnged with offroad considerations. The systems are designed for road use.

I don't go fjording streams in my cx5 though... my cx5 handles fine topped out and high speed/low speed sharp cornering. I would never take my car to cross a stream unless it was an emergency, I drive a *car* with (when oem) lifted suspension, not a truck deisnged with offroad considerations. The systems are designed for road use.

I was responding to a claim that it was "good for mudding". I agree with you on THIS assessment. It's an on-road CUV.

It WILL do 120 on the autobahn

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Mine only does 126... 124 since the CC (because RPM limiter) won't go higher and 126 because of the speed error. If it didn't have an RPM limiter I'm sure I could go 135 at least.

Back