Baby Seats in CX-5

I bought a Britax Pavilion convertible car seat last month and I think that it fits nicely in the CX-5, even in a rear facing configuration. I am 6 ft and I don't think that I would be able to find a comfortable driving position if the car seat was set up behind the driver seat, so I put it behind the passenger seat. See attached pics.

I believe if your fairly short you won't have an issue with rear facing seats. However put two 6ft people in the front as nd its a bit tight

I am just thankful I have a petite wife (5'2") or else I'd never be able to fit a RF car seat in the CX5. We have the peg 30-30 and it fits fine behind the passenger seat with my wife quite a bit forward but comfortable. No way and I mean no way would it fit behind me being 6'4". I tried several RF car seats and none were shallow enough to fit behind me. FF looks promising as we just picked up a convertible evenflo triumph and there seems to be ample leg room behind me for a little one. No chance either would fit in the middle seat RF.

How do the seats (cloth particularly) hold up to having a carseat on top? I've seen the seat protectors at the baby stores but haven't decided if there is value in getting one. Thoughts?

2rfvud2.jpg

How do the seats (cloth particularly) hold up to having a carseat on top? I've seen the seat protectors at the baby stores but haven't decided if there is value in getting one. Thoughts?

2rfvud2.jpg

i have protectors under all my seats. better than not having them i guess..

I'll add another data point for anyone who may be wondering about this setup. Here is a Graco SnugRide Classic Connect installed in the middle seat using the LATCH connectors. I'm 6'0" and have a few inches of knee room in the passenger seat and a bit more on the driver's side.

IMG_0361 by Meatstick62, on Flickr

IMG_0365 by Meatstick62, on Flickr

Question for anyone who uses the LATCH connectors for a car seat installed in the _middle_ rear position: When the seat is installed, do the LATCH straps obstruct the seat belt buckles for the side rear passengers?

Reason is that my wife likes to sit next to our infant girl in the back and so would need to be buckled in as well. And I don't want to put the car seat anywhere other than the middle rear position.

PS: New poster, loving this forum and community! I'm considering buying a CX-5 real soon, and appreciate all the info so far.

I am new to this forum and came across this blog. I am 6' and my wife is 5'5". We bought our car when my wife got pregnant, and didn't test any car seats at the time, honestly, it was not on my mind at all. I typically drive, but I noticed that using our Peg Perego 4/35 infant seat with base, its very tight for me in the passenger side. My question is, has anyone had any more recent feedback regarding convertible car seats in the rear facing position? I know that the seating hasn't changed since 2013, but there are newer convertible seats available.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Chris

Just a update, we sold our 15 cx-5 with about 30k miles on it for a 15 dodge Durango and couldn't be happier with the room for a car seat in the back. it doesn't have the fuel mileage of the cx5 but its not that far off and much bigger and comfortable.

I have my convertible car seat in the middle and it does keep both front seats forward quit a bit, but I'm short so it's ok for now. Will be much nicer when I can turn it around. Using the center latch system does not affect the rear seat belts at all. I've seen many people put them on the passenger side with that seat up far and then the passenger can just sit in back, but I prefer to have it in the middle where it's the safest place. I don't mind giving up a bit of comfort to keep my kid safe.

2rfvud2.jpg

I have that exact seat and exact protector. Both worked out great for us so far.

I've got the same seat protector - works great but it may cost you an extra .25"-.5" of space because of the extra padding. I've found that our baby seat (Uppababy Mesa) requires us to move the passenger seat forward significantly. My wife (5'4) is still comfortable, but I (6') am not. That just means I get to drive :)

That said, I'm not sure any car in this segment fares significantly better. I honestly don't understand why more car manufacturers don't make car seats that are custom-crafted to their vehicle. It seems like they are in the best position to design, build, and test the ideal car seat - and could charge a lot for them.

Figured I'd chime in since we are expecting our first child within the next two weeks.

I purchased the Chicco KeyFit 30 rear-facing infant seat, hoping to place it in the middle seat. The Chicco model comes with a bubble indicator on the base to ensure that the seat is level and also buttons to adjust the incline of the seat.

Unfortunately, the seat won't be at the correct level if in the middle seat. I ended up installing the seat behind the passenger seat, and it basically results in the front passenger seat becoming unusable, especially if you want to have the option of moving the carrier position.

Also, the doorway for the rear doors is extremely narrow and I have to be extremely careful not to bump the car seat on the door. All in all, very disappointed with the CX-5.

Figured I'd chime in since we are expecting our first child within the next two weeks.

I purchased the Chicco KeyFit 30 rear-facing infant seat, hoping to place it in the middle seat. The Chicco model comes with a bubble indicator on the base to ensure that the seat is level and also buttons to adjust the incline of the seat.

Unfortunately, the seat won't be at the correct level if in the middle seat. I ended up installing the seat behind the passenger seat, and it basically results in the front passenger seat becoming unusable, especially if you want to have the option of moving the carrier position.

Also, the doorway for the rear doors is extremely narrow and I have to be extremely careful not to bump the car seat on the door. All in all, very disappointed with the CX-5.
There're quite a few posts mentioned these two deficiencies on CX-5 about rear seat space issue for rear-facing child seat, and the big intrusion of the rear wheel well while getting in and out through the rear doors. But seriously I'd think these're problems for most of compact CUVs on the market. And I do believe a minivan is the best transportation vehicle when you have kids! We'd a great time with two kids when they're small with our VW Vanagon! We never had any kind of space or ingress issues!

Yeah I can second what @yrwei52 is saying.
Before buying our CX5 we did a ton of research on fitting car seats into a CUV. Mainly rear facing seats as they are what we would be using primarily as well as they are commonly the most problematic for people.

In the long run, almost all CUV's had the same issue with space for the car seats, from infant carriers to rear facing. Proper install is key of course but even then you are going to have to pay the price with less leg room in the front, different seats seems to offer varying degrees of this so sometimes its about what best works for you. We reached out to some car seat techs here to get input based on their experience.

In the end we put ours in and lost lots of leg room in the passengers front seat, its unusable for me but my wife is OK with it so I get to drive when we go anywhere together and I am not complaining about that one bit ;)

For those with the Diono Radian RXT Convertible as rear-facing, did you need to buy and use Diono's angle adjuster? (I am hoping to install in the middle.)

Btw - the Chicco Keyfit 30 rear-facing infant car seat has been great for us so far! It is installed in the middle, and still provides me with ample leg room in the front (6'0 tall). I initially installed it using LATCH, but after getting it inspected through my county's free inspection program, they advised that it was not a tight enough fit and recommended using the seat belts instead, which ended up providing a much more secure fit and immovable.

For those with the Diono Radian RXT Convertible as rear-facing, did you need to buy and use Diono's angle adjuster? (I am hoping to install in the middle.)

Btw - the Chicco Keyfit 30 rear-facing infant car seat has been great for us so far! It is installed in the middle, and still provides me with ample leg room in the front (6'0 tall). I initially installed it using LATCH, but after getting it inspected through my county's free inspection program, they advised that it was not a tight enough fit and recommended using the seat belts instead, which ended up providing a much more secure fit and immovable.

I would never use seat belts if there is a latch system in place. Put the car seat - sit on it your self - and have a helper adjust tensions on the latch. It is hard work but it works and the car seat does not budge.

Latch is definitely easier to do, but where's the supporting evidence that it's a safer option than properly installing with seat belts?

Latch was never intended as a safer alternative, just an easier one.

Highly recommend a seat protector from Amazon. Best $14 I spent on this car.

Latch is definitely easier to do, but where's the supporting evidence that it's a safer option than properly installing with seat belts?

100% sure LATCH is not as strong as seat belts.

Back