Opinions needed. We are about to purchase one of the 3 cars and CX5 is #1

100% true story that happened today. So we have this newish (little over a month) guy at work who is always asking questions about my car. Wheel size, where do I get mods etc. He told me he wanted to do something similar. Within the last week I've noticed a brand new 2017 Mirage ES parking next to me regularly. I also parked next to because I like those cars. Today the guy starts asking me more questions about parts and such, and asked him if that Mirage was his; and it is. Turns out he got rid of an Isuzu Rodeo, and bought that because he wanted a car more like mine (I'm guessing in shape/form factor). He had heard good things about the car and others had recommended him. So of course I immediately told him about my own fascination with the car, the forum he should visits, popular mods etc (honestly I know more about it than most owners probably do). Just seemed really funny to me that as much as I mention this car, especially on Mazda FB pages (a common joke is that I ask did you look at the Mirage when someone totals their car, or wants to buy something new), that my MAZDA was the inspiration for him buying the Mirage. lol!

Sounds like maybe you have a stalker/admirer? If he shows up at your house in the middle of the night don't open the door! (popcorn)

That, and Nissan's CVT hasn't exactly got the best reputation. Would not touch the Rogue with a 10 foot pole.

We definitely do not like the CVT, but it has been pretty reliable in our Altima. The new one actually "pretends" to shift now in the 17 Rogue. Like the Maxima does.

I think the Rogue's interior posted by NIZMOZ looks pretty nice and better than the new cx-5 with it's dorky vents.More upscale in my opinion.I understand that Nissan improved the CVT reliability so maybe mom won't experience any problems and doesn't really mind how it shifts.A good looking car with a comfortable, quiet ride that handles decently isn't a bad thing.Especially for a person with back problems.Not everybody shares the "zoom-zoom " mentality so I wouldn't be bashing mom's decision.It's her car to enjoy.

To me, the various brands of compact suv are more alike than different with each having their own perceived or real good qualities or shortcomings.Ya buy whatever "floats your boat".

Consumer Report----bah, I'm amazed how they can complain about a minor fault on their tests but recommend models as reliable that seem to be anything but when you read the owners comments on the web.

I think the Rogue's interior posted by NIZMOZ looks pretty nice and better than the new cx-5 with it's dorky vents.More upscale in my opinion.I understand that Nissan improved the CVT reliability so maybe mom won't experience any problems and doesn't really mind how it shifts.A good looking car with a comfortable, quiet ride that handles decently isn't a bad thing.Especially for a person with back problems.Not everybody shares the "zoom-zoom " mentality so I wouldn't be bashing mom's decision.It's her car to enjoy.

To me, the various brands of compact suv are more alike than different with each having their own perceived or real good qualities or shortcomings.Ya buy whatever "floats your boat".

Consumer Report----bah, I'm amazed how they can complain about a minor fault on their tests but recommend models as reliable that seem to be anything but when you read the owners comments on the web.

Agreed 100%. It is what she likes. And the interior is much better quality over the current CX-5. The stitching looks real in the Nissan where in the Mazda its fake. Seats are not as comfortable in the Mazda. Very small seats actually in width. She noticed that as well.

⋯ that my MAZDA was the inspiration for him buying the Mirage. lol!
Sounds like maybe you have a stalker/admirer? If he shows up at your house in the middle of the night don't open the door! (popcorn)
Funny I have the same feeling towards the guy Chris_Top_Her mentioned. But could be just purely admiration to Chris' automobile enthusiasm and great mechanical knowledge.

Car & Driver ranks the 2017 Rogue 8th.

The Rogues ride is placid and makes for relaxed, comfortable cruising. For 2017, Nissan added more sound-absorbing materials in the floor and the body pillars and thickened the rear door glass to cut down on noise intrusion, and it shows. Its spongy suspension, though, leaves the Rogue lost in no-mans land. It bobbles going around normal turns, it never seems to feel planted even in a straight line, and the electric power steering offers minimal feedback. Under hard braking, the car does a noticeable nose dive, and our tests showed that stopping from 70 mph took 178 feet, five more than the Sportage, for example.

... which may be exactly what mom needs. I also agree that if the seat is more comfortable to her, that is an important, perhaps crucial point.

The Rogue is also nicely equipped, except for the lack of Android Auto/CarPlay. Mom would probably not mind anyway though. For my next car, I will not even consider vehicles without it (yes, this excludes the CX-5 for now).
On Rogue owner forum, 16% (non-scientific) said they will not get another because of transmission problems.

The Rogue is also known to commonly not get its EPA sticker in real-life driving, with owners complaining about 21 MPG in city driving (well below EPA), but with also some reports > EPA with highway only driving, where Eco switch does not do much (duh! it would not on the highway).

Last edited:
Car & Driver ranks the 2017 Rogue 8th.

... which may be exactly what mom needs. I also agree that if the seat is more comfortable to her, that is an important, perhaps crucial point.

The Rogue is also nicely equipped, except for the lack of Android Auto/CarPlay. Mom would probably not mind anyway though. For my next car, I will not even consider vehicles without it (yes, this excludes the CX-5 for now).
On Rogue owner forum, 16% (non-scientific) said they will not get another because of transmission problems.

The Rogue is also known to commonly not get its EPA sticker in real-life driving, with owners complaining about 21 MPG in city driving (well below EPA), but with also some reports > EPA with highway only driving, where Eco switch does not do much (duh! it would not on the highway).

Honestly, she doesn't even like using her phone with the bluetooth system in the car. So she doesn't have it hooked in. So Apple/Android isn't a deal breaker for her at least.

Our Altima with the same engine did 36 mixed driving most of the time. That was about 70% highway and 30% city. This car will get the same driving, so I will report back once we get a few weeks and tanks on it.

I honestly don't trust reviews that much just because most of those people are like us in this forum. Enthusiasts. Most SUVs do what they complained about in that paragraph you posted. And the braking is hard to believe when I barely touch the brakes and it stops. Better than my old Camry. Bobbles through normal turns? LOL. No it doesn't.

Wife and I took an UberX yesterday and gal had a new '17 Mirage SE with 5-speed. IMO: Actually interior wasn't bad for the car. It was small though and you could feel the 3 cylinder 74HP is down on power. I'd be fine with one as a runabout in an urban setting... freeway/highway... that would be a nail biter I would think. My wife's old '96 Protege wth an automatic and 92HP felt like a powerhouse when riding as a passenger...admittedly it wouldn't get the same mileage though. Only car I have driven with less HP was in a '85 Chevy Sprint that one of my brother's old girlfriends had in the late 80's. It had a 3 cylinder Suzuki motor (carbureted) with a 5-speed rated at around 48-50HP. An obvious death trap in a wreck but in certain long driving situations it could easily get in the 58-60MPG range.

100% true story that happened today. So we have this newish (little over a month) guy at work who is always asking questions about my car. Wheel size, where do I get mods etc. He told me he wanted to do something similar. Within the last week I've noticed a brand new 2017 Mirage ES parking next to me regularly. I also parked next to because I like those cars. Today the guy starts asking me more questions about parts and such, and asked him if that Mirage was his; and it is. Turns out he got rid of an Isuzu Rodeo, and bought that because he wanted a car more like mine (I'm guessing in shape/form factor). He had heard good things about the car and others had recommended him. So of course I immediately told him about my own fascination with the car, the forum he should visits, popular mods etc (honestly I know more about it than most owners probably do). Just seemed really funny to me that as much as I mention this car, especially on Mazda FB pages (a common joke is that I ask did you look at the Mirage when someone totals their car, or wants to buy something new), that my MAZDA was the inspiration for him buying the Mirage. lol!

I just purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport and traded in a 2013 CRV EX AWD. The Honda was rock solid reliable and easy on fuel with 25 mpg combined. I stayed away from new Hondas because of the vibrations created by the CVT and the new 1.5 turbo has problems. The HRV is like the CX-3, but it's a piece of crap. It has 35% Mexican content and the tranny is made in Indonesia.

I didn't look at a RAV4 because it looked like a Subaru's ugly sister. I wonder if it is more reliable than the CX?

I just purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport and traded in a 2013 CRV EX AWD. The Honda was rock solid reliable and easy on fuel with 25 mpg combined. I stayed away from new Hondas because of the vibrations created by the CVT and the new 1.5 turbo has problems. The HRV is like the CX-3, but it's a piece of crap. It has 35% Mexican content and the tranny is made in Indonesia.

I didn't look at a RAV4 because it looked like a Subaru's ugly sister. I wonder if it is more reliable than the CX?

Re: vibration with CVT: this issues was pretty minor, affected previous gen CR-V and was addressed some time ago. The only bad impact from it was annoyance to some people. True that EPA ratings the following year of fixed vehicles has dropped (still previous gen). It was not a CVT issue, but idle issue.
Re: Honda 1.5T problems: what problems are those? I am only aware of a pretty minor TSB for TCM software change.

First tank so far which is probably not as accurate because they didn't reset the trip when they filled it up, but it still got 31 mpg. Not bad at all!

First tank so far which is probably not as accurate because they didn't reset the trip when they filled it up, but it still got 31 mpg. Not bad at all!

Wait a minute you got a new 2016.5?

BTW someone mentioned only older chicks get CX-5's.......The somewhat upscale bilmore section of Phoenix has lots of CX-5's driven by hot chicks. Counted no less than 8 CX-5s. 4 hot chicks. Okay so I exagerrated the numbers a bit but still. Was in the area for a Dentist appointment and I"m not jokin here :)

Last edited:

BTW someone mentioned only older chicks get CX-5's.......The somewhat upscale bilmore section of Phoenix has lots of CX-5's driven by hot chicks. Counted no less than 8 CX-5s. 4 hot chicks. Okay so I exagerrated the numbers a bit but still. Was in the area for a Dentist appointment and I"m not jokin here :)

That was my casual observation up here in Maine. I wouldn't say they're all hot... but certainly a handful.

But that new Rogue.... it seems like a magnet for good looking younger blondes.

Opinions needed. We are about to purchase one of the 3 cars and CX5 is #1

I'm not surprised you can beat EPA estimates on your Nissan Rogue. We drove a rental Nissan Altima a couple of years ago from LA to San Diego with many stop-and-go traffic, and we got almost 40 mpg with 4 adults and full of the luggage in the trunk! Easily beat 37 mpg EPA highway mark and I was very impressed by the fuel savings from its CVT!

Hot or not there's not many CX-5s in my area. I've only seen two others around here.

I see tons of women in CX-5's, few guys like me, too. Have not had too many people sneer at me being a guy and owning one, have gotten compliments on it, all from women or friends though. It's definitely not an "image" car for a guy, but it's not like a Fiat500 either, lol!

That was my casual observation up here in Maine. I wouldn't say they're all hot... but certainly a handful.

But that new Rogue.... it seems like a magnet for good looking younger blondes.

Hot women around here drive AMG or ///M cars/SUV's and the higher trim level IS cars or loaded out 4XX series SUV's from Lexus. There are a few girls still in school that are hot and drive the cheaper cars, but by and large, money = hot in my experience.

Hot women around here drive AMG or ///M cars/SUV's and the higher trim level IS cars or loaded out 4XX series SUV's from Lexus. There are a few girls still in school that are hot and drive the cheaper cars, but by and large, money = hot in my experience.

Well, yeah. Not too many fuglies in the upper echelon of automobiles around here either. Just more of a comment on CX5 and Rogue drivers in general.

Hot or not there's not many CX-5s in my area. I've only seen two others around here.

I see tons of them. Many 2016s as well. Surprisingly I've seen more 16 cx5s than the new Tucson. I know the 16 cx5s has been out a little longer than the new Tucson but given the nature of it being Hyundai, I'm surprised.

The Tucson is highly rated even above the RAV4, CX-5 and CRV in some reviews, but I don't buy it completely. Most new cars should be problem free for the most part, but how do they perform after 60k or 100k miles? Hyundais can be hit or miss sometimes. Generally speaking Hondas and Toyotas last. I never owned a Mazda before, but I bought my first wife a new 1992? MX-3 with 1.8 V6. That was a decent car.

Back