First time owner

I'm actually glad the Mazda uses the current method for TPMS. Other versions require replacement at some point as they have a battery. I had one replaced under warranty on my Infiniti. Granted.... inflated dealer cost but it was like $250 for a sophisticated valve stem. Aside from my spare I check my tires about once a month.
So how long did these OEM tire pressure sensors last other than the one failed under warranty?

Option B Mazda factory remote start used to have a separate fob for prior years' models. May be Mazda finally made the improvement for 2016.5 MY.

BTW, do you have a cover on the small storage area on the left panel beneath these TCS/BSM/TPMS switches?

We were told that the Mazda factory remote start was a single fob that's compatible with all of the functions the normal fob would do - this was relayed directly from our Sales Manager. Because he told us the one option was an "aftermarket" and I said no, we didn't want some aftermarket remote start - then he relayed the info about the Option B (Mazda factory remote start). He also mentioned the mobile remote start that works via the cell phone, but there was some annual $65 fee or something to use that remote start function with a cellphone (to which we declined).

The cover you ask about:
No, there is no cover there - it's a small "pocket" if you call it that, recessed. Not sure what would really sit in there because it looks like if you out something there it's only going to fall out if you accelerate. Haha.

I'm actually glad the Mazda uses the current method for TPMS. Other versions require replacement at some point as they have a battery. I had one replaced under warranty on my Infiniti. Granted.... inflated dealer cost but it was like $250 for a sophisticated valve stem. Aside from my spare I check my tires about once a month.

My Jeep's were almost half a decade old, and worked fine. I loved individual PSI read-outs. Replacements when I got new tires cost me $20 for all 4 or something, I recall.

My Jeep's were almost half a decade old, and worked fine. I loved individual PSI read-outs. Replacements when I got new tires cost me $20 for all 4 or something, I recall.

No idea about domestic TPMS sensors... I just know the Nissan units weren't that cheap. I don't have individual PSI read-outs either. Looking on eBay looks like real world cost is around $50/each.

IMO...just seems like one less hassle when swapping tires.

We can't rely on TPMS on CX-5 for low tire pressures unless we have a more sophisticated TPMS like Nissan Rogue's. To me, TPMS on CX-5 is almost useless. The best way is to trust myself and keep checking the tire pressure.

The implication here is that you wouldn't have to check tire pressures manually if we had in wheel pressure sensors. But every Owner's Manual I've ever seen instructs the owner not to rely on the in wheel sensors but to use a manual gauge. And there are good reasons for that.

Every standard tire pressure gauge is a comparative gauge while every in tire gauge is absolute. Standard gauges measure the difference between atmospheric pressure and tire pressure while in tire gauges measure absolute pressure inside the tire. Your tire spec is based on relative pressure and in-tire gauges are incapable of measuring this.

The other reason in tire gauges are not to be relied upon is because they live in a spinning hellhole that is often subject to extremes of temperature from sub-zero on a cold winter day to over 160 degrees after extended freeway driving on a hot day. Heavy brake usage could make the temperature climb even higher.

With either system it is necessary to periodically top up pressures and a stand alone gauge should always be used.

No idea about domestic TPMS sensors... I just know the Nissan units weren't that cheap. I don't have individual PSI read-outs either. Looking on eBay looks like real world cost is around $50/each.

IMO...just seems like one less hassle when swapping tires.

My Nissan's did fine when swapping tires. What problem did you have?

Also, FYI, my TPMS in my CX-5 warned me of a flat before handling was dangerously compromised, or the tire ruined. I aired it up to 40psi, and had it fixed at the dealer that next morning. The Mazda TPMS worked fine. I just wish it was more involved.

We went with B factory remote as well. Wish we had gone after market because the start distance is poor for our use.

I got a screw in my tire. The mazda system warned me before I could tell it was there. The system worked remarkable well. If mazda puts in a system that is more reliable, more simple, and cheaper I am all for it. If mazda gives me one warning light and I can't figure out what tire it is I will give up driving.

I carry a pressure gauge. When the light comes on, I check all 4. It was in the high 20's when I found my problem tire, right when the light came on.

Looks like TPMS makes use of barometric pressure and temperature sensors. Also some history data it can keep.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%209.51.39%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%209.53.15%20AM.png

Looks like TPMS makes use of barometric pressure and temperature sensors. Also some history data it can keep.[/IMG]
Nice diagram (as always)! I couldn't figure out that with data from ABS wheel speed sensors, the only thing this TPMS can do is to compare the speeds and find the under-inflated tire with faster rotation speed and send out the warning. Since there is no individual tire pressure data, what the system can do with additional barometric pressure and temperature data? And history too?

Although I prefer a cheaper and simpler TPMS system as long as it meets Federal regulation requirement, but people should know its limitations. Most drivers will never check the tire pressures by themselves, even during seasonal temperature drop. They'd thought the TPMS will warn them if the tire pressures are low. That's why a direct-read TPMS like Nissan Rogue's
2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg

is perfect for them. It actually makes car driving safer in a whole picture.

Besides, you don't need to replace expensive tire pressure sensors every time you replace the tires. Discount Tire only recommends $6 TPMS rebuild kit when replacing the tires.

Not really sure myself on the use of those other sensors. The TPMS in my Infiniti is capable of stating pressure but feature was deprecated in this lower tier model so just a light there as well. There is a wire under dash that can be grounded to flash the light codes of what tire is low but what is the use at that point. This was a way for me to locate a faulty TPMS sensor a few years back though. They do go bad. Mine would say it had no more than 20PSI in the tire.

Nice diagram (as always)! I couldn't figure out that with data from ABS wheel speed sensors, the only thing this TPMS can do is to compare the speeds and find the under-inflated tire with faster rotation speed and send out the warning. Since there is no individual tire pressure data, what the system can do with additional barometric pressure and temperature data? And history too?

Although I prefer a cheaper and simpler TPMS system as long as it meets Federal regulation requirement, but people should know its limitations. Most drivers will never check the tire pressures by themselves, even during seasonal temperature drop. They'd thought the TPMS will warn them if the tire pressures are low. That's why a direct-read TPMS like Nissan Rogue's
2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg

is perfect for them. It actually makes car driving safer in a whole picture.

Besides, you don't need to replace expensive tire pressure sensors every time you replace the tires. Discount Tire only recommends $6 TPMS rebuild kit when replacing the tires.

. Most drivers will never check the tire pressures by themselves, even during seasonal temperature drop. They'd thought the TPMS will warn them if the tire pressures are low. That's why a direct-read TPMS like Nissan Rogue'sis perfect for them. It actually makes car driving safer in a whole picture.

The safety of driving a car is not impacted depending upon which type of TPMS your car has. The amount and frequency of air you add to keep the tires properly inflated will not change depending upon which style system you have. And with either system you still need a stand alone gauge to adjust pressures. The purpose of TPMS is to warn before a tire becomes unexpectedly low and both systems do this.

Most driver's never check their tire pressures? I don't know what kind of world you live in but people around here are pretty responsible about keeping their tires properly inflated and most people carry a tire pressure gauge in their car. Very old people are more likely to have someone else do it but, the vast majority of people do it themselves.

That consists of a new battery and new o-ring? In any case, counting the spare, there are 5 to do. To my way of thinking that's wasted time and over $30 down the drain. The wheel speed sensor method is more reliable, doesn't require periodic maintenance and has always worked flawlessly for me.

The safety of driving a car is not impacted depending upon which type of TPMS your car has. The amount and frequency of air you add to keep the tires properly inflated will not change depending upon which style system you have. And with either system you still need a stand alone gauge to adjust pressures. The purpose of TPMS is to warn before a tire becomes unexpectedly low and both systems do this.

Most driver's never check their tire pressures? I don't know what kind of world you live in but people around here are pretty responsible about keeping their tires properly inflated and most people carry a tire pressure gauge in their car. Very old people are more likely to have someone else do it but, the vast majority of people do it themselves.

That consists of a new battery and new o-ring? In any case, counting the spare, there are 5 to do. To my way of thinking that's wasted time and over $30 down the drain. The wheel speed sensor method is more reliable, doesn't require periodic maintenance and has always worked flawlessly for me.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is supposed to monitor tire pressure, hence a direct-read TPMS like Nissan Rogue's is the best. In fact all TPMS started with pressure sensor mounted inside of tires. For recent years car manufactures found a way to utilize ABS speed sensors to save cost. But the limitations are there. The system simply can't tell if all four tires dropping pressure at the same time due to seasonal change, and this is one of the most neglected maintenance for cars. In fact, I'm not sure if the speed-sensing TPMS can detect low pressure condition on more than one tire dropping pressure simultaneously. If more people, me included, can see their real-time tire-pressure display like Rogue's, more people will aware their tire pressure situation, and add air if needed. This definitely will improve the safety as a whole.

Any sensor used in a modern vehicle is having a risk to go bad. Just because a system requires maintenance doesn't mean it's a unnecessary or bad system. $30 down to the drain? But how often? Consider you need a set of new tires once for every 4~8 years, it's not bad at all!

Yeah all of my friends only rely on the dealer when they need routine maintenance, or tire store when they need tire replacement, (many don't even rotate tires) to check their tire pressure. They don't even have a cheap pencil-type tire pressure gauge!

Yeah all of my friends only rely on the dealer when they need routine maintenance, or tire store when they need tire replacement, (many don't even rotate tires) to check their tire pressure. They don't even have a cheap pencil-type tire pressure gauge!

This country was founded on strong principles of self-reliance but pretty soon people will need a bathroom attendant to wipe their butt!

All of my friends have tire pressure gauges in their car and know how to use them.

You live in a rare area. Never seen that before. Always see vehicles with a low tire in parkinglots. Probably means 15 to 20psi.

This country was founded on strong principles of self-reliance but pretty soon people will need a bathroom attendant to wipe their butt!

All of my friends have tire pressure gauges in their car and know how to use them.

People are already there. Look at all the handout programs. Universal healthcare. Welfare. Food stamps. Priority hires. On and on and on.

Back