no more CX-5

yeah, take a flat head and pop the covers, you'll see a dummy speaker w the wireing connected to it. There is a thread on here about it w visuals and links to buy the speakers

Thanks!!! I somehow totally missed that thread. I'm totally comfortable soldering, cutting, splicing, heat-shrinking.... I just don't want to complicate warranty issues so good to hear about plug and play.

This begs the question...why did you have a CX-5, anyway? The CX-5 is a worse vehicle in every way unless:

-interior space
-ground clearance

I am also in my 30s. My reasons are as follows, determined after doing test drives, renting and using all contenders.

- Honda CRV
Discarded as priced with equal options $4000 as per negotiated/Costco quote.
Discarded due to dislike of transmission.
Really liked its interior features above CX-5

- Toyota RAV4
Discarded as does not offer options I need and available in CX-5, GT with ActiveSense.
Bland looking - discarded.
Significantly better in reliability/cost of parts.

- Nissan Rougue
Almost a tie with CX-5, especially the 3rd. row seating option when balancing with features in CX-5
Ultimately, CX-5 won, purely because it felt more ALIVE when I drove it, in comparison to Rouge.
As was a tie, did some off-roading and its much worse than CX-5.

- Porche Macan AWD
- BMW X3 xDrive
- Acura RDX 4WD
These 3 are way above my price point but nevertheless looked into them to see how CX-5 compares to Macan and X3 when it comes to its oft touted road handling. Yes, I did find Macan much better, X3 - not really. RDX to compare interiors with CX-5. RDX won but does not justify the premium cost. All 3 - for noise level comparion to CX-5 and HIGH SPEED handling.

Thus - CX-5 (for me) is better in
- Features made available at the price point
- Road handling in comparison to similar priced cars in CUV segment
- Better interiors than most except CR-V
- Ground clearance/off-road in comparison to similar category CUV segment.
- Amazingly better looking.
- Actually found better rear seating space than most I tried.

What I did NOT consider - is Subaru Forrester or Outback as had bad experience with Subaru twice. Automatic discard.

Reasons for choosing a CUV:
- Already have a Toyota Corolla 2007 sedan which has coil overs, upgraded suspension components, 17' wheels and which I maintain myself. It's an amazingly reliable and easy car and love it. Has approx. 200k miles and only thing I changed were spark plugs, brake components (i mean stuff that failed). Need something when I am travelling with family on long trips or hauling something.
- Have easy zero cost access to Jeep Wrangler RUBICON, so any off-roading is covered.
- My wife loves the higher seating position, offered by CUV/SUV and gives a sense of security and control
- I like it that I can see ahead and gauge traffic or when to cut into another lane....

Right now after owning the car - what's ROYALLY PISSING ME OFF:
- Penny wise, pound foolish attitude of Mazda. Quite a large set of simple features, missing
- Live/Real-time traffic.
- Realized cost of spare parts are HIGH.
- As Mazda is low volume producer not much after market parts. In comparison to my Rolla/Wrangler, i.e.

Last edited:
Oh...ok thanks for clarification!!! I don't follow the audio threads as closely.

The OP had a stick shift Sport with a 4-speaker setup. There is no dash speakers so OP bought the Touring (6-speaker setup) dash speakers and hooked them up. These Touring dash speakers are NOT tweeters but just the 3" mid-range crappy Mazda speakers.

CX-5 9-speaker Bose system has three 3" mid-range Bose Twiddler speakers in dash. They are expensive (~$70 each) and definitely not worth it. Mazda6 has 11-speaker Bose system with two additional 1" tweeters mounted underneath the side speaker grills next to the 3" mid-range Twiddler's. You can get these Bose tweeters but there are no space and wires for them on CX-5. So people are getting aftermarket 3" coaxial speakers with tweeters for better high notes for their Bose system on CX-5.

2014%252520Mazda6%252520Bose%2525201-inch%252520%2525282.5cm%252529%252520Tweeter%252520Dash_20130415.jpg

as for the tweeters, I actually purchased the oem touring tweeters from mazda and installed in the cx5, the wireing is all set up, just have to pop the covers and plug and play. as for the 2.5, it's def a lot better, smoother and filled w pep compared to the 2.0, the shifter feels more silky smooth too. the only thing I miss about the cx5 is it being a head turner, I put a lot of time into making it how I wanted, but I'll just do the same w the 6 eventually. I'm just making subtle mods to the 6 at the moment, well see how I feel down the road.
Anyone know if this is the same for the '16 CX-5? and do they sell Bose tweeters from Mazda?
Intrigued... just plug and play on the tweeters from a '14 and later 6 touring into the '13-'15 CX-5?
The OP had a stick shift Sport with a 4-speaker setup. There is no dash speakers so OP bought the Touring (6-speaker setup) dash speakers and hooked them up. These Touring dash speakers are NOT tweeters but just the 3" mid-range crappy Mazda speakers.

CX-5 9-speaker Bose system has three 3" mid-range Bose Twiddler speakers in dash. They are expensive (~$70 each) and definitely not worth it. Mazda6 has 11-speaker Bose system with two additional 1" tweeters mounted underneath the side dash speaker grills next to the 3" mid-range Twiddler's. You can get these Bose tweeters but there are no space and wires for them on CX-5. So people are getting aftermarket 3" coaxial speakers with tweeters for better high notes for their Bose system on CX-5.

2014%252520Mazda6%252520Bose%2525201-inch%252520%2525282.5cm%252529%252520Tweeter%252520Dash_20130415.jpg

lol nah no kids at the moment, originally bought the cx5 because I really liked the look of it and its a small suv that I can get in a MT which is hard to find. after the 6 came out a year later I always wanted one but until recently I test drove one during a routine oil change, they gave me a deal too good to let go so I made the change. 2k off msrp, 1k back in mazda loyaly rebates, 2 years free service including oil changes, tire rotation and car washes(which I wont use since I was my car), along w some upgrades

Thanks!

I am also in my 30s. My reasons are as follows, determined after doing test drives, renting and using all contenders.

- Honda CRV

- Toyota RAV4
Discarded as does not offer options I need and available in CX-5, GT with ActiveSense.

- Nissan Rougue
Almost a tie with CX-5, especially the 3rd. row seating option when balancing with features in CX-5
Ultimately, CX-5 won, purely because it felt more ALIVE when I drove it, in comparison to Rouge.

- Porche Macan AWD
- BMW X3 xDrive
- Acura RDX 4WD
These 3 are way above my price point but nevertheless looked into them to see how CX-5 compares to Macan and X3 when it comes to its oft touted road handling. Yes, I did find Macan much better, X3 - not really. RDX to compare interiors with CX-5. RDX won but does not justify the premium cost. All 3 - for noise level comparion to CX-5 and HIGH SPEED handling.

What I did NOT consider - is Subaru Forrester or Outback as had bad experience with Subaru twice. Automatic discard.

- Already have a Toyota Corolla 2007 sedan which has coil overs, upgraded suspension components, 17' wheels and which I maintain myself. It's an amazingly reliable and easy car and love it. Has approx. 200k miles and only thing I changed were spark plugs, brake components (i mean stuff that failed). Need something when I am travelling with family on long trips or hauling something.
- Have easy zero cost access to Jeep Wrangler RUBICON, so any off-roading is covered.
- My wife loves the higher seating position, offered by CUV/SUV and gives a sense of security and control
- I like it that I can see ahead and gauge traffic or when to cut into another lane....

- Penny wise, pound foolish attitude of Mazda. Quite a large set of simple features, missing
- As Mazda is low volume producer not much after market parts. In comparison to my Rolla/Wrangler, i.e.

Very interesting. Most of my customers when I sold vehicles bought something they didn't intend to, or showed up with no idea what they were after. You, sir, are a rarity!

- Honda CRV

- Toyota RAV4

- Nissan Rougue

- Porche Macan AWD
- BMW X3 xDrive
- Acura RDX 4WD

Actually, there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for all new gen mazdas now.

Actually, there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for all new gen mazdas now.

Looks like it, looks like it... slowly catching up ..... as Mazda gains in popularity. But you'll agree: nowhere near the main competitors or Jeep. I have Toyota and Jeep so I compared with them. Wrangler : well less I say, the better. It's customization options: Thru the roof

Congrats on your new Mazda 6. I think it is one of the best looking mid size sedans out there.

Nice! But man, the Mazda 6 is as long as a Buick :(

That was one of my main reasons for selling mine! I moved into a condo with a very small garage. My 6 just fit,,, and I mean just! My CX-5 leaves plenty of space and although not as technology smart as the 6, so far I'm quite happy.
Fuel mileage absolutely sucks on this one though,,,,, 3rd tank of fuel and cant even get "city" mileage.... My 6 easily got better than 40 on the highway.

Its nice to see another person switch the CX5 for the 6[emoji16]. I did the same thing last summer and not regretting it one bit. Congrats!

I still don't know why one would ever buy a CX5 if a sedan would work. It makes no sense to me.

"Sure! I'd love to have a slower vehicle that gets 5-10mpg less and offers things in compensation that I don't care about!"

I still don't know why one would ever buy a CX5 if a sedan would work. It makes no sense to me.

"Sure! I'd love to have a slower vehicle that gets 5-10mpg less and offers things in compensation that I don't care about!"

Agreed all show no go! Would be perfect with the 2.5 turbo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course. Although some people do just love sitting up high in their vehicle. But to me, if I didn't need AWD, I would of went with something else. I did look at a AWD Fusion but damn that thing gets about the same gas mileage as the CX-5 yet you don't get any ground clearance, or optimal carrying capacity like the CX-5. So I went for the CX-5. My career kinda dictated my decision as well. Being in the medical field, I don't get off for any inclement weather. Plus my goal is to keep my CX5 for as long as possible, and when I graduate NP school in a couple years, save a little an pick up a mustang. I miss mine so much.

Of course. Although some people do just love sitting up high in their vehicle. But to me, if I didn't need AWD, I would of went with something else. I did look at a AWD Fusion but damn that thing gets about the same gas mileage as the CX-5 yet you don't get any ground clearance, or optimal carrying capacity like the CX-5. So I went for the CX-5. My career kinda dictated my decision as well. Being in the medical field, I don't get off for any inclement weather. Plus my goal is to keep my CX5 for as long as possible, and when I graduate NP school in a couple years, save a little an pick up a mustang. I miss mine so much.

Exactly. I am essential personnel, as well. Hence I was stuck needing all-weather capability.

What tires would you recommend for a sedan to increase ground clearance? I get that that was his concern, but mine was ground clearance.

Exactly. I don't care what tires I have on my car, if I didn't have ground clearance this past snow storm, I wasn't getting anywhere at all. Thankfully, the CX5 has pretty high clearance for it's class and it paid off.

And the nice thing is I was able to get through roughly 12" of snow with my AWD cx5 without snow tires. FWD anything would of gotten nowhere, and definitely would of required snow tires. I like not having to switch out tires throughout the year.

Last edited:
Exactly. I don't care what tires I have on my car, if I didn't have ground clearance this past snow storm, I wasn't getting anywhere at all. Thankfully, the CX5 has pretty high clearance for it's class and it paid off.

And the nice thing is I was able to get through roughly 12" of snow with my AWD cx5 without snow tires. FWD anything would of gotten nowhere, and definitely would of required snow tires. I like not having to switch out tires throughout the year.

Uhoh...MikeM is about to tell you you're wrong about your experience.

Back