Slight Concern about MPG

Mr_eyes20

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 FWD GT
I've had my Cx5 for about a month now (bought it brand new), and i noticed ive been getting about 20 MPG on average and when i fill up the tank only goes about to 275ish. Should i be concerned? Most of my commute is city driving and at the most drive about 10-15 miles to and from work. Just curious as to whats affecting my MPG and if i should be concerned or not.

Stop & go city driving yields poor mileage and ~ 20 doesn't sound terrible bad. Try to accelerate smoothly and brake as little as possible. You mileage may increase 1-2 mpg as you approach 3,000 miles or so from my CX5 experience. Ed

I've had my Cx5 for about a month now (bought it brand new), and i noticed ive been getting about 20 MPG on average and when i fill up the tank only goes about to 275ish. Should i be concerned? Most of my commute is city driving and at the most drive about 10-15 miles to and from work. Just curious as to whats affecting my MPG and if i should be concerned or not.

I drive from NJ into NY - daily. Trust me when I say this but NJ Turnpike/Garden State Parkway is as good as driving in city! I would say I average 75% city, 25% highway. That being said, I averaged 20 mpg initial 1800 miles. Then I averaged 24 mpg (+1800 up to 2100 miles). Now I average 25/26 mpg. The current increase in values is as a consequence of subtle changes I did in my driving. Namely: slow acceleration, easy on brakes by relying more on gas pedal control and exhaustively use radar cruise control.

I have been lurking in these forums for about a month now. What I understood is mpg improves slowly and in this order: 1st. improvement: After break-in around 1000 miles. 2nd. improvement: After 3000 miles, engine properly lubricated. 3rd. improvement (final): After 1st oil change but not immediate. It'll be apparent after about 1500 miles using the new oil. PROVIDED YOU USE MAZDA MOLY OIL: GF-5.

Finally, I recently came to know if you can handle manual shifting then you'll be able to get even more MPG. I don't want to since I am a darn lazy guy..:)

The MPG displayed on the car might not reliable, especially at the beginning. What I've been tracking is to reset the trip meter everytime I top my gas tank, then at the next topping, just divide the trip mileage by the amount of gas I put in again.

Mine is a AWD so MPG should be lower than your FWD. I got the car at the beginning of October, it got 22-24 mpg during October and early November. Since then, it's been 19-21mpg, but perhaps mostly because I remote-started the car quite frequent, giving it some time to warm up especially parking outdoor in the subzero. The range currently shows 325 miles when I top the tank.

My driving consists of perhaps 50:50 city/highway in short distances (5-10 miles). I'm gentle on the pedal most of the time, but been experimenting with Sport mode and manual shifting, and sometimes push a little harder when I'm late for the bus.

I think mine is also a bit low on mpg, but I'm just keeping a close watch as it's still within the break-in period.

Oh - the MPG display in dash is like .5 from reality. There's a setting which says sync with Trip A. After doing it and religiously resetting it (Trip A) at every oil change really helps.

I have almost 6k miles on my CX-5 AWD and my commute to work consists of 90% highway, with 10-15 minutes of stop and go traffic. Currently, car states I average 24mpg. Calculated it is also 24mpg. Needless to say I am very disappointed in the mileage, with this mileage I may as well be driving a truck to work. I don't have a lead foot, and I try to be gentle with it, but the MPG's still stay low.

I've considered going to the dealer to complain about this, but based on what I have read here this type of mileage is quite normal. Kind of sucks because I went with the CX-5 because of the spacious interior and good MPG ratings.

Those MPG discussions on SkyActiv-G CX-5 simply give me one conclusion: your mileage may vary A LOT! Our CX-5 AWD has accumulated 5,800 miles and had first oil change with Mazda moly oil at 5,073 miles. I haven't seen any MPG increase since new but it actually is decreasing from 27 to 26 for mostly city driving! I've seen people claimed they could hit 31+ MPG from a CX-5 2.5L AWD on the highway! But we could only get 26.5 during the recent long trip, far off the EPA estimate at 30 MPG whereas our other vehicles could exceed EPA's highway estimates! The way how you drive seems also affecting the gas mileage more heavily than other vehicles.

The ambient temperature also plays a major role in the MPG.

This x1000. I drove 45 min yesterday (85% hwy) and got 27mpg with a temp of 29. On the exact trip back, I got 32mpg in 46 degree weather. I think the cx5, and well any car is highly affected by temperature when talking about gas mileage.

55-60 MPH seems to be the sweet spot. I'm still getting 27.6 MPG, down from 28.2 MPG during the warmer months.

My 17 mile commute (one way) is ~4 miles with a 25-30 MPH limit, ~7 miles with a 60 MPH limit, and ~6 miles with a 70 MPH limit, give or take. I try to drive it at 5 MPH over the limit.

Remember that the winter blend of gas plays a role with mpg as well. Usually I see a few mpg' drop around November when the winter blend gas hits the pumps

Remember that the winter blend of gas plays a role with mpg as well. Usually I see a few mpg' drop around November when the winter blend gas hits the pumps

yup, but so far, the drop hasn't been as dramatic as it was in my 2014 3i Hatchback. But deep winter has only just begun here too. I wouldn't be surprised if it drops down to 26 MPG.

My average over 25,000 miles, and 72 fillups is 28.4 on the dash read out, and 28.1 at the pump. I find the difference negligible. I probably am at 65/35 on highway versus city driving. With careful throttle I am getting around 24 in the city. Highway mileage is 31 in summer at 70 mph with a/c on, and 29 - 30 winter.

1st.: During winter months the gas has a slightly different composition which has a -ve effect to MPG.
2nd: Cold also affects MPG.
3rd.: Usually you'll get lower MPG if your travel is around 3 to 10 miles, even if it's only highway.

Its safe to say, in winter with a 50/50 mix city/highway the average is around 24 mpg overall.

The large variation we see is when highway driving - mostly. There we see folks reporting upwards of 34 mpg and there's a significant number of folks reporting the same 24 mpg. There is really NO clear cut answer except the 3 points I have highlighted above along with DRIVING STYLE.

My average over 25,000 miles, and 72 fillups is 28.4 on the dash read out, and 28.1 at the pump. I find the difference negligible. I probably am at 65/35 on highway versus city driving. With careful throttle I am getting around 24 in the city. Highway mileage is 31 in summer at 70 mph with a/c on, and 29 - 30 winter.

I have similar results.

Driving style is the #1 impact on mileage. Speed is the next, headwinds make a large impact once you get above 65 mph (resistance goes up with the square of wind speed) Then terrain. Tire pressure is another important one.

It's also very difficult to compare two people's "city" and "highway" as these could mean anything. The EPA has defined it pretty specifically... and to them, highway does not mean drive long stretches at 75 mph, which is what some expect that to mean.

It's your fault. You drive it wrong.---This Forum when people can't get near EPA ratings in your CX-5 even though your past vehicles/other vehicles have no problems.

I was getting 25 MPG city driving (non stop and go bumper to bumper traffic). But now with the colder temps and winter gas blend I’ve been getting 21-22 MPG’s city driving.

Other than driving technique, you should double check your tire pressure. I like keeping mine at 38 PSI and with the drop in temps, it was down to 32 PSI on all 4 tires!

I was getting 25 MPG city driving (non stop and go bumper to bumper traffic). But now with the colder temps and winter gas blend I’ve been getting 21-22 MPG’s city driving.

Those concerned with getting high MPG should strongly consider the 2.0L engine (or even a lighter, more aerodynamic sedan instead of a AWD CUV). It appears the 2.5L engine can really drink some gas if the user reports around here are accurate.

Other than driving technique, you should double check your tire pressure. I like keeping mine at 38 PSI and with the drop in temps, it was down to 32 PSI on all 4 tires!

Good tip. We've heard this so many times it tends to go in one ear and out the other. Thanks for the reminder.

Those concerned with getting high MPG should strongly consider the 2.0L engine (or even a lighter, more aerodynamic sedan instead of a AWD CUV). It appears the 2.5L engine can really drink some gas if the user reports around here are accurate.

For the record I am not complaining about my MPG’s, just decided to share what I get and how weather affects mine. But I wouldnt mind doing things to the cx-5 that would increase MPG’s and maybe add/free a little more HP in the higher RPM range.

I’ve never driven the 2.0L motor. The only reason I got the 2.5 is because it was the only option for my must have preference of being 2016 model year with AWD. Having said that I probably would have gotten a 2.0L if it was offered and as long as it didnt feel underpowered to the point of taking the fun out of driving. But from how happy you seem to be with the 2.0L , I somewhat trust your opinion that it is a good engine for the CX-5’s size, weight and with AWD.

Back