re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

• YES - Tech Package

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • YES - No Tech

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • NO - Tech Package

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • NO - No Tech

Votes: 57 35.8%

• Total voters

Sadly I am not going to consider any Mazda anymore. Got my new 2016 Mazda CX-5 2 months ago and recently made a friend to get one too. Just few days back the windshield was cracked from the top center down to the middle of the glass like a S shape. Was driving not fast and didn't hear or see any rock hit. Brought to the dealer and he said it was a rock damage. He showed me the dent was like a super small pencil dot and said it's not covered by the warranty. I have other cars and those windshields have many larger dents but have never been an issue. The windshield is poor and weak. It's not a shield. It's just a piece of poor quality glass. Talked with my insurance agent. She was surprise that a windshield can be that poor and mentioned that Honda does cover this kind of issue especially for a brand new car. She thanked to me for the information said would never get a Mazda. I really should get a CR-V instead before.
The weak windshield on CX-5 is getting infamous and there was a protest in Taiwan earlier this year complaining about this:

CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan V5.14

Mazda in Taiwan eventually promised to replace any windshield cracked by itself or caused by tiny rock for free. I'd suggest you file a complaint to NHTSA website, and call Mazda North American Operations' Customer Experience Center at (800) 222-5500 to persuade them cover your windshield replacement with all the evidences presented here in this thread.

Not all cars are perfect. We seriously considered 2015 Honda CR-V also due to excellent experience of reliability from our '98 CR-V. It offers better audio system, memory seat, and rear AC vents which we'd like to have. But in the end we chose CX-5 instead as I really disliked the new CVT on 2015 CR-V. And the infamous CR-Vibration problem from the CVT is also a big complaint from those new CR-V owners.

I wonder if a 3rd party supplier (safelite, ect) offers replacement windshields (non-OEM) that are thicker? Surely that's one potenital solution although it would come with a cost.

I've gone through 2 windshields that had damage not caused by a rock. they were non oem replacement from safelite, but it seems that it may be an issue with the frame and not the glass

I would tend to agree about the frame (Rigid). Many yrs ago, I had a similar problem with a Mini Cooper...cracks just appeared, and dealers rejected most, claiming a rock hit! Class action suit followed and was won by the owners!

Knock wood, my 2015 CX-5 w/ tech has been aok thus far! It has also taken a few small rock hits with no damage...

Last edited:
I would tend to agree about the frame (Rigid). Many yrs ago, I had a similar problem with a Mini Cooper...cracks just appeared, and dealers rejected most, claiming a rock hit! Class action suit followed and was won by the owners!

Knock wood, my 2015 CX-5 w/ tech has been aok thus far! It has also taken a few small rock hits with no damage...

That does make sense. The windshield frame's rigidity should be checked. I'm kind of surprised though as Mazda utilizes high strength steel throughout the car....but what about the windshield frame? Where's the law firms that mail you annoying class action lawsuit materials in the mail when you need them lol.

I wonder if a 3rd party supplier (safelite, ect) offers replacement windshields (non-OEM) that are thicker? Surely that's one potenital solution although it would come with a cost.
i asked that when we got a crack (definitely a rock tossed up on highway) after 2 mths - glass shop that there weren't any non OEM ones available yet, but would likely see them over the next 6-8 mths as suppliers caught up with the new models
smaller market in canada though, larger us market would likely ramp up a little faster IMO

I don't frequent the forum but I'm glad I found this thread. The '14 CX-5 GT with tech package didn't see too many miles the first year but now it's got around 14k. Just this past weekend coming back from a road trip, my wife noticed that a crack developed from the center, starting from the very top of the windshield and making its way down the center and around the plastic enclosure. At first she called Safelight and had progressive on the phone to have an appointment scheduled and replacement put in for an estimate of $386. I knew this was way too cheap for a windshield so I asked her to call again to find out if it's OEM, obviously it wasn't. OEM estimate is at $720. A claim has been filed now with progressive and the oem windshield is in order. But now, I think I need to call the dealership and see if I can get this covered under warranty after reading about the same issue happening.
Just got another crack in the windshield last Friday. It was only two months ago that I replaced the windshield. This time, it was really odd as the crack, resembles a bullseye the size of an orange but I was driving in rush hour traffic, going no more than 15mph with no big trucks in front to kick up debris. Yet, I heard a loud pop and at first, thought it came from the rear but then my wife pointed to the crack in the windshield.

In trying to schedule the service through safelite, just like last time, I was notified by safelite that there is a national backorder on our windshield. In any case, going to get windshield coverage after this one gets replaced. I've had four cars prior and never had a crack in the windshield. Now I have two in the span of three months. I'm just going to scratch this one up as "Friday the 13th" bad luck.

In trying to schedule the service through safelite, just like last time, I was notified by safelite that there is a national backorder on our windshield.
Supply and demand. Since the windshield on CX-5 is so easy to crack, hence created shortage due to the high demand. This person had waited 3 months to get his 2016 windshield replaced. The dealer told him there are 40+ back orders in the Midwest region!

A rock hit the windshield on mine this morning covering the dash and front seats in glass. Luckily the rock didn't go through the windshield because it hit directly above the steering wheel.
10a9a21d7c25855cb732f0168f6b5f86.jpg

Supply and demand. Since the windshield on CX-5 is so easy to crack, hence created shortage due to the high demand. This person had waited 3 months to get his 2016 windshield replaced. The dealer told him there are 40+ back orders in the Midwest region!
Wow. That's a long wait. I'm just concerned that the weather is changing and the last thing I want is water to get in and freeze, increasing the damage.

A rock hit the windshield on mine this morning covering the dash and front seats in glass. Luckily the rock didn't go through the windshield because it hit directly above the steering wheel.
10a9a21d7c25855cb732f0168f6b5f86.jpg
That's scary. My crack is on the passenger side. Forehead level. When it happened, I told my wife, she's down one life from nine. I told her the story of my dad's college friend where many years ago back in Taiwan, a rock kicked up by a semi shot through the windshield with such force that it hit his wife in the head and killed her instantly. Crazy s***. I think she's going to start wearing a helmet now.

Supply and demand. Since the windshield on CX-5 is so easy to crack, hence created shortage due to the high demand. This person had waited 3 months to get his 2016 windshield replaced.

Actually, it's normal for brand new parts to take a few months to get into the supply chain. Since the 2016 CX-5 was available with new sensors that the windshield had to accommodate it required a new production run. The first ones always go to new vehicles being manufactured, not into parts inventory. The shortage was due to 2016 CX-5 production, not because so many windshields were breaking.

I know you won't believe me because you read every piece of information as pointing to faulty windshields even though Mazda has reiterated that the windshields they buy meet all applicable standards in all markets that have standards. Mazda doesn't even make the windshields, they source them through the same glass manufacturers other car makers use.

In trying to schedule the service through safelite, just like last time, I was notified by safelite that there is a national backorder on our windshield.
Actually, it's normal for brand new parts to take a few months to get into the supply chain. Since the 2016 CX-5 was available with new sensors that the windshield had to accommodate it required a new production run. The first ones always go to new vehicles being manufactured, not into parts inventory. The shortage was due to 2016 CX-5 production, not because so many windshields were breaking.
Your theory of windshield shortage on CX-5 is simply not applicable to TW00Si's case as he has a 2014 CX-5 GT!

I'm just curious. I saw a post that the 2016 windshields are supposedly beefed up. Is it possible to have a 2016 windshield installed on a 2015 or earlier model? My wife had a cracked windshield about three days after buying her 2015 CX-5 GT but it was definitely because of a gravel truck without a top cover that damaged it as well as the paint job. The windshield alone cost over $800 but the company that caused the damage paid for it.

I don't know what the situation is today, but a month ago there was no wait for my windshield (no auto-wipers no Smart Brake Support, CX-5 2014).

Your theory of windshield shortage on CX-5 is simply not applicable to TW00Si's case as he has a 2014 CX-5 GT!
logistically it does make some sense tho ...
if the windshields were different between model years, as newer model years come out, the supply chain moves forward too, with best guesses as to how much production/inventory is needed for prior years - while ramping up for the new product
... which is exactly what i was told by my glass supplier in july - it takes time to get new products when it is not known how many might be needed

and with mazda releasing "mid year" compared to most NA vehicles, while having less than 2% market share for the entire line - i can guess/imagine/make up an opinion that parts suppliers have an eye more on where sales volume will be once the NA 2016's start showing up and changes they need to make to service that market

otherwise - yeah - 3 mths for 2016 windshield does seem pretty long - we waited 4-5 days for a broken one to show up from Toronto, which was then replaced in 2 days by a good one from Vancouver
but everything had to go through the single authorized dealer for this area

I don't know what the situation is today, but a month ago there was no wait for my windshield (no auto-wipers no Smart Brake Support, CX-5 2014).

The 2015 windshield with rain sensor and SCBS is currently on back order.

I'm just curious. I saw a post that the 2016 windshields are supposedly beefed up. Is it possible to have a 2016 windshield installed on a 2015 or earlier model?

Where did you see a post?

Because I saw a post that a CX-5 would be faster if you put premium in it. (rofl2)

Wishing I wasn't so curious to read through this thread...it can be anxiety-inducing. (nailbyt)

Realizing that contributors to online forums account for only a small percentage of consumers, and therefore a fraction of reporting of defects, etc., is there any other information available as to where (regionally) the majority of windshield cracking occurs? Mostly in states or areas of the country with large swings in temperature? I live in Upstate NY, park in my garage at home during the winter, and my car spends all day in a heated garage during the day at work. While I hope for the best, I can't help but think that the temperature changes alone will be cause for my windshield to crack.

Back