Oil change tools

:
2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L
Used up my 2 freebie changes, so going to do the next one myself.
Can someone confirm what size of allen wrench/socket I need for the plug.........8mm or 10mm ???
Also there was some talk on the drain plug leaking because of the washer. ( I have not had that problem). So the filter came with 2 washers. One is a solid metal, and the other is metal with a built in rubber washer portion.
Can I use either one.??? Or should I replace with whatever is on the engine right now?
2014 2.5L

Used up my 2 freebie changes, so going to do the next one myself.
Can someone confirm what size of allen wrench/socket I need for the plug.........8mm or 10mm ???
Also there was some talk on the drain plug leaking because of the washer. ( I have not had that problem). So the filter came with 2 washers. One is a solid metal, and the other is metal with a built in rubber washer portion.
Can I use either one.??? Or should I replace with whatever is on the engine right now?
2014 2.5L
It's 8mm Allen wrench for drain plug. Drain plug crush washer should be a solid aluminum piece. Where did you get these washers? Are yours OEM got from dealer? I'd always use a new crush washer for drain plug during oil change just to prevent leak.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

yes from dealer on the washers.
So your OEM Mazda oil filter came with two different types of drain plug washer? In US we have to get washer separately for additional cost. I'd suggest using solid aluminum washer for your drain plug unless you see the old washer on drain plug is the aluminum with rubber type of the washer during the oil change.

Last edited:
An 8mm X 3/8 socket from Sears. A Fram Cap wrench from WalMart. A large oil drain pan. A 3/8 ratchet for the 8mm & cap wrench+ rags. I use the solid aluminum OE washer and just snug it and never a leak. ed

Here's the 2 gaskets the dealer gave me. The rubber one is a tight fit around the plug. I used the metal crush ring, cause that's what was on the car.

Over the years I have done many oil changes, and I'll have to say this was one of the easiest ever. The filter and plug are right there behind the trap door, very easy access. And imagine a filter that is not upside down or sideways.

http://

Here's the 2 gaskets the dealer gave me. The rubber one is a tight fit around the plug. I used the metal crush ring, cause that's what was on the car.

Over the years I have done many oil changes, and I'll have to say this was one of the easiest ever. The filter and plug are right there behind the trap door, very easy access. And imagine a filter that is not upside down or sideways.

http://
Yeah, the metal/rubber washer definitely is not the right one, especially it's made of steel, not aluminum. I haven't done the first oil change yet to our CX-5, but from what I saw and heard, it's the easiest oil change you can find.

In case someone like me afraid of not having enough muscle to loose the oil filter, this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) is exactly the same one Med Center Mazda sells as "genuine" Mazda oil filter wrench A255. The good thing of this wrench is it fits Mazda OEM oil filter perfectly without using any force. It's different from other filter wrench found in WalMart or auto parts stores claiming the same size, 14 flutes, 65/67 mm, but you need to hammer it into the filter.

I hate those cup style filter wrenches, they always seems to deform and just spin on the top of the filter over time. I love my Lisle oil filter wrench, gets tighter as you turn it so zero chance of slipping.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I agree. I have both types as I like collecting tools. Cap oil filter wrench serves me well as I always change oil by myself and I'll never over tighten the oil filter. Besides, I hate to crush the old parts unless it's really necessary for some reason.

Well, it's a good thing I have a collection of filter wrenches. I don't know how the dealer installs these filters, but there was no way that sucker was coming off without a wrench.

I never use a wrench, just hand-tighten.
latest

Do you guys use a torque wrench for for the oil drain plug....or how do you know how much to "safely" tighten as to not cause damage nor leaks.

Torque wrench for me. I feel that even a cheapie from Harbor Freight would get you in range better than 'feel', unless you are a pro with many years of experience at wrenching and have the touch.

Torque wrench for me. I feel that even a cheapie from Harbor Freight would get you in range better than 'feel', unless you are a pro with many years of experience at wrenching and have the touch.

I've got HF's cheapie torque wrench. What attachment and at what torque setting would you use.

I've got HF's cheapie torque wrench. What attachment and at what torque setting would you use.

There's actually a range of 23 to 30 ft/lbs. for the plug, I do mine at 27 foot pounds. Spec for the oil filter is 107 to 141 in/lbs, if your interested. Specs are pulled off a manual for a 2.0 liter engine, I don't see why they should be much different for the 2.5.

Last edited:
I've always had two torque wrenches (to cover the range) but, after hundreds of oil changes, have never used it on a drain plug. You can feel the crush washer start to "crush" and then you are in the proper range. I do use the torque wrenches religiously on more critical applications (which is most everything else).

Never had an issue after more than 30 years of doing it this way. Oil changes become real quick and easy when you don't need to get out an arsenal of tools to do a simple job. I use my hands to tighten the filter so all I need is the appropriate socket/ratchet for the plug itself. Easy-peasy.

There's actually a range of 23 to 30 ft/lbs. for the plug, I do mine at 27 foot pounds. Spec for the oil filter is 107 to 141 in/lbs, if your interested. Specs are pulled off a manual for a 2.0 liter engine, I don't see why they should be much different for the 2.5.

I've always had two torque wrenches (to cover the range) but, after hundreds of oil changes, have never used it on a drain plug. You can feel the crush washer start to "crush" and then you are in the proper range. I do use the torque wrenches religiously on more critical applications (which is most everything else).

Never had an issue after more than 30 years of doing it this way. Oil changes become real quick and easy when you don't need to get out an arsenal of tools to do a simple job. I use my hands to tighten the filter so all I need is the appropriate socket/ratchet for the plug itself. Easy-peasy.

I ask as I've never seen the oil drain plug for Mazdas. I'm recently coming from BMWs and VWs which have the oil filter in the engine bay for easy access. I would extract the oil from the dip stick opening. The oil filter canister cap required a specific torque spec. I gave my oil extractor away but kept my torque wrench which I purchased specifically for my old BMW that I no longer own. Should I start doing my own oil changes again I think I'd use a torque wrench at least for the first couple of attempts. Haven't done my own oil change (traditional under the car) way in about 10 years when I owned a CRX.

151459_x800.jpg

I bought this metric hex set, https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) as soon as I found out that the CX 5 and the truck we bought a few months prior used them for various fluid plugs. Also came in handy working on a sister-in-law's ride. So, I found it to be a good purchase. Beats the heck out of the L shaped hex keys.

I ask as I've never seen the oil drain plug for Mazdas. I'm recently coming from BMWs and VWs which have the oil filter in the engine bay for easy access. I would extract the oil from the dip stick opening. The oil filter canister cap required a specific torque spec. I gave my oil extractor away but kept my torque wrench which I purchased specifically for my old BMW that I no longer own. Should I start doing my own oil changes again I think I'd use a torque wrench at least for the first couple of attempts. Haven't done my own oil change (traditional under the car) way in about 10 years when I owned a CRX.
If you haven't done the oil change on Mazda CX-5, make sure to get an 8mm Allen bit socket for drain plug with your HF toque wrench. The drain plug on CX-5 is different from the most other drain plugs with the hex head. I've tried the crappy HF torque wrench, and its click sometimes is not that obvious so be careful not to over-tighten the plug. I use my hand feel to tighten the plug and filter and have never used the torque wrench for oil change.

You're right the oil filter on BMW is so easy to access from the top. The use of the paper cartridge oil filter is for environmental concerns (easier to recycle without the metal canister) and I was surprised Mazda haven't adapted it as Toyota has followed the suit.

I bought this metric hex set, https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) as soon as I found out that the CX 5 and the truck we bought a few months prior used them for various fluid plugs. Also came in handy working on a sister-in-law's ride. So, I found it to be a good purchase. Beats the heck out of the L shaped hex keys.

Yeah I've got a similar set from Sears or HF. I've actually used these to put Ikea furniture together as well.

If you haven't done the oil change on Mazda CX-5, make sure to get an 8mm Allen bit socket for drain plug with your HF toque wrench. The drain plug on CX-5 is different from the most other drain plugs with the hex head. I've tried the crappy HF torque wrench, and its click sometimes is not that obvious so be careful not to over-tighten the plug. I use my hand feel to tighten the plug and filter and have never used the torque wrench for oil change.

You're right the oil filter on BMW is so easy to access from the top. The use of the paper cartridge oil filter is for environmental concerns (easier to recycle without the metal canister) and I was surprised Mazda haven't adapted it as Toyota has followed the suit.

My HF torque wrench gives me good enough feedback. Quality ones can get pricey but if you're doing a lot of DIY projects such as yourself and MikeM then it's a good investment. Oh I forgot.......wheel rotations. Do you guys use torque wrenches for rotating your tires?

Back