2016 Headlights replaced today

20150712_184314.jpg]

Thanks what I can see is some sort of mildew inside. Can't see the cracks in the pics I will look at mine tonight and if I see something strange I will include with some redlines. :)

Sent from my LG-D400 using Tapatalk

I have noticed on mine that there is what seems to be sealer dripped on the inside lens. Seeing as a lot of vehicles are having defects I wonder if I should bring it up with my dealer.

Ugh, it looks like my 2016 w/tech might have the same mold/delaminating issue on the inside of the lens cover. Why do I have a bad feeling even if the dealer replaced them with new ones, the same thing will happen after a few months?

76d1ac4377d6cfd7d4e79be2ab3566e6.jpg

Dealer installed both headlights yesterday, problem solved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

b2ed6cd30e344d20a7e1d5a71d5b95ba.jpg

Dealer invoice [emoji43] they are expensive, so people take care of them [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have the same problem. Both headlights.
I had an appointment this past Monday with Koeppel Mazda service center to have it "cleaned".
The service manager said this is the first time he saw such a thing. He told me it can't be cleaned and needs to be replaced. He needed authorization to do the job.
He had me call Mazda in California to submit a claim and have a district manager to look at the headlight.
The next day a district manager was there and I brought my car in to have it looked at. He authorized a replacement.
I'm waiting now for the parts to be ordered and delivered.
Service manager Andrew and the district manager were very cool guys. Thanks men!
hathair.gif

I have the same problem. Both headlights.
I had an appointment this past Monday with Koeppel Mazda service center to have it "cleaned".
The service manager said this is the first time he saw such a thing. He told me it can't be cleaned and needs to be replaced. He needed authorization to do the job.
He had me call Mazda in California to submit a claim and have a district manager to look at the headlight.
The next day a district manager was there and I brought my car in to have it looked at. He authorized a replacement.
I'm waiting now for the parts to be ordered and delivered.
Service manager Andrew and the district manager were very cool guys. Thanks men!
hathair.gif

Yup mine too. I saw the stains inside the headlights the day I collected the car, brand new. When I surfaced this to the Mazda sales exec, she didn't know about it and said she would check with the Service department. She got back to me with a ridiculous reply.

"Oh the Service Manager said it's normal and all their CX-5s' headlights are like that?"

I was like.....(uhm). No way man. I went to the Service Centre in the next few days and no questions asked, I was promised a replacement for a new set. Still waiting now. It's been two months.

Finally got the call from the dealer the replacement LED headlights arrived,,,
5hrs later, completed and washed Total cost $2620.00 Thankfully I paid nothing.
That just reinforces my fears that parts and service of new vehicles on the road now are so hi-tech that unless one has a good warranty it will cost an arm and a leg to keep them maintained. I can get a complete headlight assembly with park lamps for my 2000 Dodge Dakota for $70 and do it myself. I love my 2015 CX-5 but we live in a brave new world now.

I can get a complete headlight assembly with park lamps for my 2000 Dodge Dakota for $70 and do it myself. I love my 2015 CX-5 but we live in a brave new world now.

I don't think I would want to spend $20 on replacement headlights for a 2000 Dodge Dakota, let alone $70!

What is truly brave is hurtling down a highway at 75 mph, idiots on your left, idiots on your right, while seated in 2000 Dodge Dakota. If you value your life, that's brave! And this is coming from a lifelong performance motorcycle rider.

I don't think I would want to spend $20 on replacement headlights for a 2000 Dodge Dakota, let alone $70!

What is truly brave is hurtling down a highway at 75 mph, idiots on your left, idiots on your right, while seated in 2000 Dodge Dakota. If you value your life, that's brave! And this is coming from a lifelong performance motorcycle rider.
Reminded me of this song...:)

Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
It's so hard to keep this smile from my face,
Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place,
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you

Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealers Wheel

When a headlight costs more than a transmission does then you know something is out of kilter. I don't see how anyone could justify what being charged on these new cars.

When a headlight costs more than a transmission does then you know something is out of kilter. I don't see how anyone could justify what being charged on these new cars.

That reminds me of something a friend of mine would say:

"I need a raise - I can't live off what I'm worth."

When a headlight costs more than a transmission does then you know something is out of kilter. I don't see how anyone could justify what is being charged on these new cars.
So you see nothing wrong with that picture?

Last edited:
I wonder what a car would "cost" to build, assuming zero labor cost, and ordering every component individually through the dealership. Ground-up build. Really curious!

Well, think about a car that was made 15 years ago. How many parts have been produced and shipped to 1000s of distros, dealerships, online stores, etc etc. How many parts to you think they have made for brand new 2016 cars?! Hardly any! Harder to come by, the price goes up.

Back