For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

If I am taking a corner relatively fast or hard, (especially if I am doing it on purpose to start a power slide in which case dsc is off too) I always have it I manual shift so that I have more traction and it doesn't try to shift into a higher gear giving me understeer.

Because the GT trim level in Mazda-speak is just that, a trim level. It's not a performance level.

Then why are you arguing with me about it?

The 2.0s on the Mazda3 don't have the sport function on the automatic trans while the 2.5s do, and I'm pointing out that even though you may assume the transmission is identical, it could in fact be different between trim levels due to engine size or otherwise.

And if you're not sure, stating the trim and engine of the vehicle can only help.

Then why are you arguing with me about it?The 2.0s on the Mazda3 don't have the sport function on the automatic trans while the 2.5s do, and I'm pointing out that even though you may assume the transmission is identical, it could in fact be different between trim levels due to engine size or otherwise.

And if you're not sure, stating the trim and engine of the vehicle can only help.
I guess because I just went up to the top of this page and realized that we're suddenly talking about the trans on the 2014 Mazda 3! How is this relevant to the problems some here have experienced with the valve body/software on CX-5?

Because they are extremely similar and my post was actually regarding people's lack of detail in describing which vehicle they own, which would help in narrowing down what the problem was or if you might be at risk.

If I am taking a corner relatively fast or hard, (especially if I am doing it on purpose to start a power slide in which case dsc is off too) I always have it I manual shift so that I have more traction and it doesn't try to shift into a higher gear giving me understeer.

Just curious, what's with the hoolahoop girl?

We seem to have the same or a very similar problem. Has your issue been fixed and if yes, would you share what was done?

WOW same thing happened to me about two months ago while driving on local roads. After a stop light I was accelerating and suddenly my TPM came on with traction control light... pulled over and check tires but everything was good. turned off car and restarted without any lights coming back on... hasn't happened again but seems like I'm not the only one with this issue.

This exact thing just happened to me last Saturday. I don't recall how many warning lights came on, I only remember seeing the traction control and the TPMS light. When I started to drive I heard a thunk (and thought I'd been rear ended) the engine was reving very high (I think it was stuck in 2nd gear) so I pulled over. While pulled over, I put the transmission into manual mode and the shifter gave me a bit of resistance when it went it. I noticed that instead of showing which gear it was in, the display was blank except for a tiny M in the bottom of the window.

I knew there was no issues with the tires as they were last checked only a week ago. I crossed my fingers and turned the car off. When I restarted, everything was normal and has been since that time. As a precaution, I'm still taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out. Does anyone know how long, or how many codes the car's computer will save? I hope they are able to pull the codes.

This exact thing just happened to me last Saturday. I don't recall how many warning lights came on, I only remember seeing the traction control and the TPMS light. When I started to drive I heard a thunk (and thought I'd been rear ended) the engine was reving very high (I think it was stuck in 2nd gear) so I pulled over. While pulled over, I put the transmission into manual mode and the shifter gave me a bit of resistance when it went it. I noticed that instead of showing which gear it was in, the display was blank except for a tiny M in the bottom of the window.

I knew there was no issues with the tires as they were last checked only a week ago. I crossed my fingers and turned the car off. When I restarted, everything was normal and has been since that time. As a precaution, I'm still taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out. Does anyone know how long, or how many codes the car's computer will save? I hope they are able to pull the codes.

So what did dealer say?

It depends on the code but some are kept, some are kept for a few starts and clear if the issue does not trip during the few starts...

Sorry for not updating. The dealer pulled a few codes (don't have them with me right now) and basically said it was a communication error between the computer and the transmission. He did pull a TSB on the issue, but it only applies to cars that have been in a collision (which mine thankfully hasn't) Since the light went out and is driving normally, he said to watch it and let them know if it happens again. It's been a few months now and I haven't had any issues. Perhaps it was just a momentary glitch in the computer. Lord knows we have to reboot our PC's enough - pretty bad that the same fix works for cars as well.... I'll try and find my invoice and post the codes and TSB they mentioned.

Here's what it says on my invoice (yeah, its taken me a while to locate it)

Customer reports Tire pressure light and Trac control light came on
dash 1Customer reports clunk type noise when lights came on
happened at slow speeds intermittantly customer reports when shifted
into trip mode display for gear was blank check and report \
Technician 323
IN--25266
Customer reports Tire pressure light and Trac control light
came on dash 1Customer reports clunk type noise when
lights came on happened at slow speeds intermittantly
customer reports when shifted into trip mode display for
gear was blank check and report
ROADTESTED--COULD NOT DUPLICATE CONCERN
AS DESCRIBED.
CHECKED FOR CODES AND FOUND U0401--INVALID
DATA RECEIVED FROM PCM
CHECKED FOR TSB'S AND NOTED--09-14-25
HOWEVER THIS TSB ONLY APPLIES FOR VEHICLES
THAT HAVE HAD DAMAGE
ACCIDENT CHECK PERFORMED AND VEHICLE HAS
NOT BEEN IN ANY ACCIDENTS.
CREATED TECH TICKET 036911 TO SEEK
DIAGNOSTIC PROCESS FROM MCI. AWAITING
TICKET RESPONSE ON NEXT DIAGNOSTIC STEP
CUSTOMER TO MONITOR.
ONCE MCI RESPONDS TO TICKET, ADVISOR WILL
INFORM CUSTOMER ON NEXT STEP IN PROCESS.

Last edited:
Still Happening on 2015's apparently.

Happened to me today on the way to work. Was able to coast it into a turn lane to stop/restart the vehicle. I made it into work, taking it to a dealer this afternoon. It just stopped "pulling" and rev'ed the motor. Not a fun time.

Just so happen to have a blue tooth OBD-II module and torque pro on the S5. I'll try to upload a screen shot.

Codes were a P0847 and P0780. Also the TBS light came on. The tires did not check out as low with my gauge.

attachment.php

2015 CX-5 2.5L Skyactive AWD Grand Touring w/Tech Package. Bought new 5/2014. Slightly over 10K miles. VIN: JM3KE4DY7F0449xxx.

Update: At dealer now. There is a Mazda 6 here that they just had the parts shipped in from Canada to fix the same problem. Service Manager says there are no parts to fix in continental U.S. Service Manager is now on the phone with Mazda USA to figure out what to do with my CX-5.

Update2: No ETA on parts or fix. They didn't have anymore Mazda loaners so I am now driving around in a huge Ford F-150 4 door pickup. It's nice enough but I'm not looking forward to the MPG hit. Plus I haven't driven a full size in years and it's reminding me of why. It's like trying to park a small house.

Update3: Ok, they called me late today, claim it's fixed. I picked it up just before closing after returning the "loaner" F-150.
I could scan in the receipt (all covered under warranty) if someone really want's to see it. For those keeping score the fix as listed was for TSB #05-005/14 & replaced both valve body switches + various filters and fluids.

I guess now I drive it and see how long it'll last. (limb)

Attachments

• CX-5_Err_Code_Wide.png
    CX-5_Err_Code_Wide.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 1,338
Last edited:
Mine is back in the shop today for what I feel is a related problem. If I am slowing down and then decide to accelerate (say you are approaching an intersection and the traffic clears enough to make a left turn) pushing on the accelerator (even to the floor) causes the car to hesitate (almost feels like a clutch slipping if this was a manual) while the engine is revving up, but the vehicle is hardly moving. The transmission either then downshifts, locks-up (whatever) and the car surges forward. It's happened several times to me recently. Also can replicate when approaching a four way stop and doing the taxi stop maneuver (slowing then accelerating without coming to a full stop) - I've told me dealer this is a safety issue as the car should accelerate quickly, especially if the pedal is pegged to the floor! The car does NOT do any of this if you are in manual mode and the appropriate gear. I believe it is something wrong with the shifter logic or mechanics when in auto mode. We'll see. It's now been at the dealers for about 5 hours and I still don't have a call... I hope I don't get the usual (we couldn't replicate the problem -- this dealer is famous for that.)

Yes- still happening on 2015 CX-5

Yes, still happening on 2015 CX-5.
The car is less that 6 months old, and less than 5000 miles. (same issue as 2013s, and 2014s).
Bad Parts or Bad engineering???

AT Malfunction
Engine Inspection Required
TPMS Inspection Required
SCBS Inspection Required

Mazda service - repaired per tsb 05-005/14.
S10 Installed Solenoids
1 FZ01-21-2C0 Switch, Oil Pressure
1 FZ01-21-2J0 Switch, Oil Pressure
"O" rings, plug, gasket, bolts, etc.

Yes, still happening on 2015 CX-5.
The car is less that 6 months old, and less than 5000 miles. (same issue as 2013s, and 2014s).
Bad Parts or Bad engineering???

AT Malfunction
Engine Inspection Required
TPMS Inspection Required
SCBS Inspection Required

Mazda service - repaired per tsb 05-005/14.
S10 Installed Solenoids
1 FZ01-21-2C0 Switch, Oil Pressure
1 FZ01-21-2J0 Switch, Oil Pressure
"O" rings, plug, gasket, bolts, etc.

If it were bad engineering it would be common (and it's not) and since replacing the part causing the fault (under warranty) likely cures the symptom, I would lean toward either faulty part or someone inept screwing it up. Either way, you should be able to expect to get back to the clockwork like reliability this model is known for.

Well said.

Toyota has an unlimited mile warranty extension on a few of their engines because the tooling cutting the oil ring land was chattery and causes copious amounts of oil consumption later in life.

It happens to all of em sometime.

Back