CX-5 Tow Rating only 1000# without trailer brakes

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
Was reading my CX-5 manual and noticed CX-5 tow rating is only 1000# for trailers without electric brakes. The 2000# tow rating only applies to trailers with electric brakes. (rant)

I intended to tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer near 2000# rating, but no one sells these with electric brakes. To legally tow, I've got to install electric brakes on a small sized trailer that usually never has electric brakes. This is disappointing. Still CX-5 has highest tow rating in its class.

FYI, also noticed manual states towing before 600 mile CX-5 break in period can cause severe drive train damage.

I was under the impression that state laws set legal limits for trailer GVWR before brakes were mandatory. I think the manual limit is more about liability so you cant sue of you were to lose brakes by overheating. I wouldn't bother unless you will be towing in a mountainous area. Just be careful and use engine braking as much as possible.

In different countries the tow limit for the same vehicle is different...

You could get some surge brakes too. That's less stress on your unibody car, brakes and transmission..most likely worth it in the long run. You can get a set of two electric brakes for < $100 and different types of controllers for <$30.

I was under the impression that state laws set legal limits for trailer GVWR before brakes were mandatory. I think the manual limit is more about liability so you cant sue of you were to lose brakes by overheating. I wouldn't bother unless you will be towing in a mountainous area. Just be careful and use engine braking as much as possible.

It may protect Mazda from liability, but it opens up the CX-5 owner
for liability if they don't follow manual:
If you wreck, and hurt someone, they would certainly win if they sued you.
If you wreck, your auto insurance may not cover you if you were not following Mazda's tow directions.
To much at risk not to follow Mazda's spec requiring electronic brakes above 1000# towing in US.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't consider towing anything with a vehicle like the CX-5.

It's a similar case I had with my recent RAM 1500. Before I bought it I assumed it could carry a slide-in camper. I even asked the salesman and the service dept at the dealership. Nope. I found out the crew-cab shortbox I had was limited to 1600lbs in the truck bed. Even the smallest slide-in was 1200lbs, then factor in 2 adults, 2 kids, camping gear and now you are way above the max. load. To be safe you shouldn't be near the max at any time. To get a slide-in I'd need a 3/4 ton pickup which can carry over 3000lbs in the bed: that would mean a RAM 2500 series.

You wonder why slide-in campers and trailers are on the side off the road sometimes? They were pulled over as they were over their max and told to unload. be safe, not only to yourself but to others as well.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't consider towing anything with a vehicle like the CX-5.

It's a similar case I had with my recent RAM 1500. Before I bought it I assumed it could carry a slide-in camper. I even asked the salesman and the service dept at the dealership. Nope. I found out the crew-cab shortbox I had was limited to 1600lbs in the truck bed. Even the smallest slide-in was 1200lbs, then factor in 2 adults, 2 kids, camping gear and now you are way above the max. load. To be safe you shouldn't be near the max at any time. To get a slide-in I'd need a 3/4 ton pickup which can carry over 3000lbs in the bed: that would mean a RAM 2500 series.

You wonder why slide-in campers and trailers are on the side off the road sometimes? They were pulled over as they were over their max and told to unload. be safe, not only to yourself but to others as well.
Your usage of the phrase "in the bed" is a bit confusing here. Sounds like you're talking about gross payload "in the vehicle". Otherwise, why would a 1200# camper in a bed rated for a max load of 1600# (with everything else except maybe the camping gear up front in the cab) not be OK?

Your usage of the phrase "in the bed" is a bit confusing here. Sounds like you're talking about gross payload "in the vehicle". Otherwise, why would a 1200# camper in a bed rated for a max load of 1600# (with everything else except maybe the camping gear up front in the cab) not be OK?

After reading it yes, I wasn't clear. Total load rating of the RAM 1500 with Hemi 5.7L is about 1600lbs (that includes people, gear, etc.). It can pull a whole lot more, about 11,000lbs but that's a different story.

I tow a 1565kg caravan fitted with overrun brakes.

I find your statement saying you wouldn't tow anything with it strange.

In the UK its rated to tow up to a 2000kg braked trailer, for the diesel, I believe the petrol version can tow a 1800kg braked trailer.

Was reading my CX-5 manual and noticed CX-5 tow rating is only 1000# for trailers without electric brakes. The 2000# tow rating only applies to trailers with electric brakes. (rant)

I intended to tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer near 2000# rating, but no one sells these with electric brakes. To legally tow, I've got to install electric brakes on a small sized trailer that usually never has electric brakes. This is disappointing. Still CX-5 has highest tow rating in its class.

FYI, also noticed manual states towing before 600 mile CX-5 break in period can cause severe drive train damage.

How can the drivetrain be damaged by towing before 600 miles?

I towed with my manual at 200 miles with no issues.

IMO its the tires and brakes that require breaking in, and that's it.

I tow a 1565kg caravan fitted with overrun brakes.

I find your statement saying you wouldn't tow anything with it strange.

In the UK its rated to tow up to a 2000kg braked trailer, for the diesel, I believe the petrol version can tow a 1800kg braked trailer.

If you Brits are rated by Mazda to tow 3600# braked trailer,
I feel pretty safe towing 2000# braked trailer in US with my CX-5.

USA has big hills and mountains that manufactures must consider. You can damage the driveline by not allowing the gears and bearings to polish or burnish during a run-in period. Just because some don't follow recommendations does not mean they will not pay a penalty later in the vehicles life. Ed

Last edited:
How can the drivetrain be damaged by towing before 600 miles?

I towed with my manual at 200 miles with no issues.

IMO its the tires and brakes that require breaking in, and that's it.
Really?! I'm surprised that you would take this cavalier an attitude with something like drivetrain break-in. This seems like a pretty reasonable suggestion on the part of Mazda and I agree entirely with erhayes about the rationale behind it.

Really this my 3rd car towed with less than the breakin period miles.
And I don't bother to breakin the engine either driving solo.

Last edited:
If you Brits are rated by Mazda to tow 3600# braked trailer,
I feel pretty safe towing 2000# braked trailer in US with my CX-5.

Considering the UK has the 2.2L Turbo Diesel that is rated at 173HP and 320ft lbs of torque. A lot more towing power than the 2.5L gas engine we have.

Considering the UK has the 2.2L Turbo Diesel that is rated at 173HP and 320ft lbs of torque. A lot more towing power than the 2.5L gas engine we have.

Its 1800kg for the gas as well, braked.

We don't get the 2.5 petrol, but the 2L is a little more power 165ps with a 14.1 ratio.

I'd love 320ft lbs, but we get 310 or 420nm, with 175 ps, or 173 bhp.

We don't get the 2.5 petrol, but the 2L is a little more power 165ps with a 14.1 ratio.

I'd love 320ft lbs, but we get 310 or 420nm, with 175 ps, or 173 bhp.

I miss read the specs then, I saw the 'nm' but just assumed the torque was the 320 number. A bit OT but the Mazda 5 in Italy has an option of a 1.9L Turbo with 130HP and 200 torque. If we had the option, I'd have gone diesel for sure.

Back