A Heads-Up Concerning the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

I wonder if its at a different position with stock 17s vs stock 19s? I will eventually be going from 17s to 20s.

If the TPMS is based on the ABS system it has nothing to do with the wheels, rather its the brakes. So wheel size should not have an impact (other than calibration).

TMPS light keeps coming on for us too on our 17" Yokohamas on CX5 GS. I've checked the pressure (all at 37psi cold). Maybe a little high but I didn't take any air out. Light came on again today and I Reset it. Got a flat on the way home tonight - Mazda Roadside Assistance dispatch was friendly enough. It was getting dark but I couldn't see anything protruding from the tire... I'll have to check tomorrow in the light. 1323 kms on the vehicle. Couldn't have been the pressure?

Mace, what was the conclusion to your flat? I'm having the exact same symptoms. Picked up the car this past Friday. Drove only 150 KM and the TPMS light came on. I checked tires hot and they were up to 40 PSI. I let them cool down and checked again and they were about 38 PSI. I noticed one tire lower to about 36 PSI. I'm wondering if I have a slow leak in the one tire or they are all over inflated a little.

Cleared the TPMS light while cool as per manual and same light came on the way home. Two days later and the tire pressure has not changed. We'll see what dealership says as we take it in on Wednesday.

Cheers!

One tire lower than the others is likely the reason the light comes on.

Glad the TPMS system is there, and it worked for us. I had the light come on last week during our 3500 mile trip, somewhere north of Jacksonville. We pulled off the interstate and checked tires. Three were @35 and one was 29 (All tires were at 33-34psi cold, before the trip). I found an air station and filled that tire to about 38 and hit the road. Stopped maybe a half hour later to check it, and sure enough... it was losing air, down 2-3 psi already. Drove a while more until I stopped for gas, and found the problem... screw stuck in the treads. Bought a tire repair kit there (Pilot?) moved car over to the air station. Pulled out screw, plugged it and aired up all tires to 38 (hot) and continued. Next morning, I reset the light and we finished the rest of the trip without issues. Made it from Florida up through the smoky mtns and back to Iowa.

If we didn't have the tire light come on... might have ended up with a flat tire because we wouldn't have stopped for at least 2 hours of 75+ interstate driving.

I threw a TPI alert as I drove the vehicle home for the dealer. I reset the TPI as all the tires where over inflated and haven't had a reccurrence (one week later).
While researching winter tires and wheels I came across this at tire rack:

This vehicle relies on the wheel speed sensors in the hubs to monitor the tire pressure differences. Although no tire sensors are required, a TPMS reset is required so the vehicle learns the new tire overall diameters.

I knew i had the TPMS on my CX5 but i found out everything about it in this thread.

Im suprised that my dealer didn't breif me about all of those information, i find the system really interesting and not having to buy a complete set of sensor for my winter set-up is absolutely great.

As anyone heard of another manufacturer using the same system?

My dealer told me if I wanted to change wheel sizes that I would need to get some programming done which would add to the cost of changing wheels. This didn't feel correct asst the time given you can reset the calibration yourself but I stupidly expected the dealer to know their product. They clearly do not.

Thanks for posting, very useful.

Useful info here. We got our CX-5 about a month ago and had the TPMS light go off on our first drive over 100 km. My wife was quite concerned so we got off the highway and checked the tire pressures. All tires were sitting right at 35 psi, so I reset the TPMS and carried on. The light came on again soon after, but I was inclined to ignore it since I was quite confident the tires were fine and the TPMS was just giving a false alert. Once we arrived at our destination I checked the pressures again: all still at 35 psi. I reset the TPMS once again and it has not been an issue since.

Just picked up a set of winter wheels so I will be swapping those on now. I was not yet aware that the TPMS doesn't use wheel sensors. This is fantastic; hopefully my new wheels will have TPMS working with no issues. I was definitely not interested in spending a few hundred dollars on another set of wheel sensors.

Absolutely, the TPMS will operate fine with aftermarket wheels. I changed from my stock 19" wheels to 17" for the winter and a simple re-set on the dash is all that is required.

I have no proof to back this up accept for what Mazda has told me. Anybody running aftermarket rims/tires WILL have the TPMS sensor illuminate. I work for Mazda and have PDI'd several of them, but cannot confirm as we haven't had a 19" model to swap wheels with. Just throwing that out their. Also, it has been said that these following items can cause the TPMs to illuminate:

Offroading
Rough terrain
Ice roads
Snow/Ice chains
Aftermarket tires/wheels

Found this info at http://www.royalpalmmazda.com/truly-revolutionary.aspx which supports what 'tgh262' mentions in the previous post.

The new Tire-Pressure Monitoring System uses existing wheel-speed sensors to monitor tire pressure. The TPMS system alerts the driver if tire pressure is too low. This system saves owners the cost of transferring tire-pressure sensors between sets of tires and replacing these sensors at the end of their battery life. It features a set switch (left side of steering wheel) to initialize the system after tire pressure has been adjusted to the specified pressure shown on the tire-pressure label.

In the following cases, the TPMS must be initialized so the system can operate normally:
- The tire pressure is adjusted (up or down) in one or more tires.
- A tire rotation is performed.
- Any tire or wheel is replaced.
- The vehicles battery is disconnected, replaced or completely dead.
- The TPMS warning light is illuminated.

Initialization Process:
- Park the vehicle in a safe place and firmly apply the parking brake.
- Let the tires cool, then adjust the tire pressure to the specified pressure (Refer to Owners Manual for correct tire pressure) on all four (4) tires.
- Switch the ignition ON, but leave the vehicle parked.
- Push and hold the TPMS Set Switch (left side of dash) until the TPMS warning light in the instrument cluster flashes twice and a beep sound is heard once.

The initialization is complete.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Welcome ChromeHorn. Yes, above ^ is shown in owners manual on pages 4-72 and 4-73,

Inflate to the proper pressures (cold) and re-set the TPMS

+1!

The TPMS is very good but it can only be as good as the quality of the work done to equalize pressures before the reset is performed. In my experience the system will work flawlessly if the reset is performed accurately.

1) Fill all tires to the exact same pressure.
2) Make sure they are completely cold (at roughly average ambient temperature for the season).
3) All tires have been in the shade for a number of hours and the vehicle has not been driven recently.

Last edited:
One other tip:

A lot of service stations don't maintain their air compressors properly. This allows water to condense into liquid and collect in the system. I've seen air hoses at service stations that would shoot nothing but air loaded with water vapor (enough to make your hand drenched when directing the stream of "air" at your hand). Water (liquid or vapor) is the enemy when it's inside your tires. It has no way to escape so it stays in there. As the tire heats up from driving a tire with high humidity will expand (from vapor pressure) much more than a tire filled with dry air (or of course, dry nitrogen). Fortunately, the TPMS is sensitive enough to detect this condition once the tire gets warm enough.

To avoid the issue of water inside your tires (which can result in a blowout if it is ignored), always use your own (well maintained) air compressor or check for water vapor by using a key to depress the valve inside the air chuck before connecting it to your valve stem. If you see water vapor in the air and it will not clear, go to another service station. Of course the issue with filling your tires at any service station is that it is necessary to drive the car to get there and then the tires are no longer cold. That's why I use my own compressor.

Turn on the car this morning & got the increase tire pressure warning in the info screen to the right of the speedo.
Checked all 4 tires, they're at 41.5 psi. Prob bc temps rose above freezing finally.
I reset the TPMS via the button to the left of the steering wheel, but the warning in the info screen is still on.
Maybe one of the sensors are bad.?? I'll try to decrease all the air down to 38psi & see if it goes away.

EDIT: Duh, I think I had in the maintenance screen to chk tire pressure every month & it reminded me.
Went in the maintenance screen to reset the chk tire pressure interval & the warning went away. Go figure.
Dropped all the tire pressure down to 38.5 psi.
I think the blue TPMS light & the warning are 2 separate reminders. Blue TPMS light is for low tire pressure, the warning is to remind you to chk it per the amount of time you set it in the options.

Last edited:
took off my 17's and for fun put the 20's off of my 06 mustang to see if they fit, and they do 245/45/20 front 255/45/20 rear, tpms light has never come on even after 600kilometers on the 20's
sure corners better now !

took off my 17's and for fun put the 20's off of my 06 mustang to see if they fit, and they do 245/45/20 front 255/45/20 rear, tpms light has never come on even after 600kilometers on the 20's
sure corners better now !

Have you posted pics anywhere?

I need some help from you guys. I'm pretty car savvy and technology oriented, so this is really annoying me, but I cannot for the life of me get the TPMS to reset.

It went off the other day and 3 of the tires were at 35.5, one was at 34.5. I filled everything back to 36 psi and then RTM on resetting the system. Ambient temps were in the low 70's and the car had just sat overnight, so I turned it on, and with the car still in park pressed the TPMS button and got the light flashing twice along with the beep. However the low pressure warning is still there. I even drove it for close to 15 miles thinking it needed some time to "learn" the new pressures from the wheels. Still getting the warning though.

Am I doing something wrong here or do I need to set up a service appointment?

Am I doing something wrong here or do I need to set up a service appointment?

I think the 2014 has a reminder to check the tire pressure as well as the TPMS. Are you sure it is not the reminder that I think you can set so you do not forget to check the tires...

Positive it's not the reminder. I checked that and there are 12 days left until it was supposed to remind me to check the pressure.

I would take a quick look at each wheel speed sensor. I think they are optical and you could have trash or something giving a bad signal but that should throw an antilock brake light? My TPMS has gone off 3-4 times in the last year with little difference in tire pressure. I think if the car is sitting in the sun with tires on one side getting hot it can throw it off - one side hotter/higher pressure than the other, if you reset it while one side is hot it may go off again when all tires are the same after driving a bit. I would try resetting when cold, parked in the shade for a while.

Back