Engine Mount Exchange

zps2004

:
1997 Miata, 2011 Mazda2
So I would like to fill my engine mount with window weld, but I do drive it just about everyday. I don't want the stiffer AWR mount since I don't really need it for my DD/ occasional autocrosser. I was thinking of getting an exchange started where we get one of the stock mounts from someone who put the AWR mount in. Then basically I will pay some money for it, then fill it and allow for it to dry. Then I will just swap them out and I can sell my factory one to the next person. Pretty simple and it will allow for everyone to just swap theirs into their DD without any downtime.

I was helping a local shop work on engine mounts and the movement you have. I got a video with my gopro of our mount on the 2. I will post it up on youtube tonight. I was surprised how much movement there was with how low the torque of our car is. The other car we were working on has 210WTQ so movement like that was expected.

Yea most people don't. I mainly see FWD engines move while on the dyno so I figured I would stick my camera down there.

So squishy! I just ordered a big tube of 3M urethane window weld. Going to tackle this and camber bolts this weekend.

Originally, I was down for the exchange idea, but I was able to secure a free loaner car for the two days I'm waiting for the mount to cure.

I've got my old dogbone mount that i'd give up for $20... ;-)

Problem might be shipping, but I'm interested. Would then sell it on to the next guy. My filling job didn't have enough time to dry properly, so this would be excellent.

I would be interested as well to get the whole thing started. $20 works for me. Once I get a hold of one I will take a video of the mount again to see how much less it moves. It be able to show the difference in response or clutch pickup, but we would be able to see how much less it all moves around. I will send Gravity a PM with more info.

The rear mount (dogbone) and the left upper mount are the problem for the way too much movement of the engine

If anyone else is looking for a stock mount, I have one laying around too. Plus, I've seen this work before.. a buddy of mine in the "SVT Contour scene" was doing this same thing.. filling stock mounts since we didn't have any other engine mount option. Real awesome guy.

Well I just filled my stock mount with 3M window weld this morning. I'll install it on Sunday and see how it feels. Went ahead and installed my crash bolts as well.

What sucks about about filling the mount is I bought this $16 tube and only used about a golf ball sized amount. And if it sucks, I'll end up buying the AWR anyway.... fingers crossed.

Crash bolts? did you locate another mount, or just going to leave your car sitting for a few days?

Crash bolts is another name for camber bolts. I'm hoping they don't snap and make me indeed, crash. The car will be sitting for a few days. I have a spare car.

Having the spare car is nice, no need to rush, and no need to worry about things going wrong or taking extra time. I don't think you'll have an issue with the camber bolts. I've ran the cheapies (ingallls, spc, etc.) for years on other cars and the only issue I ever ran across was slippage from under torquing.

Anyone know what the deal is with the weird looking soda can type of seal on the 3M stuff? Seems like it may get messy if I can't use my standard caulk gun with it.

Spare car is nice. My Miata is my main car to mess around with. My 2 is the stable car which I am now modifying and autocrossing. So I don't want it to be down in case the Miata is having issues.

I have never used camber bolts. I always just slot the mounting holes on the shock and use factory size bolts. I bought some ARP ones for the 2 so if I slip them I must be making 4G's of cornering or something.

When you pop it off, you'll see that is has a plastic cup inside that the gun pushes on. I used a standard caulking gun and it worked fine.

Speaking of... I just installed my filled dog bone. It's a noticeable difference but in the short drive down some industrial roads I wasn't wowed. At this point I think I'm going to end up buying the AWR in the future. I tested it but shifting harshly, suddenly letting off the gas in first gear, releasing the clutch too quick and making the tranny buck, etc. It helps, but it's not amazing.

However, I have no vibration or rattles. So I guess that's the trade-off.

Back